Untiring in the float

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Flyfree, May 19, 2013.

1. Flyfree

Flyfree New Member

Ok so how do you stop mr clever from trying to untie himself in the float

2. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

3. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

I've often wondered about bungee cords for tie ups in horse floats. My worry is that in an emergency that bungee is under load and when it's released (either by cutting it or releasing the clip) it's going to be pretty darn deadly :blink:

I've got a good solid dog lead in my float. Loop the hand loop through the tie up point and then thread the clip through the hand loop and do a half hitch around the hand loop (exactly the same knot that is used to tie up a rope halter properly) to secure it/adjust the length of it.

Kinda like this. Apologies about the photo of my OH cleaning one of his rifles but if you have a look at the right hand side of the pic you'll see the dog lead setup. I've just clipped it back on itself so that it doesn't bang around in the float when I move it.

[​IMG]

I'll get a better photo of it this week sometime for you. It's a really simple idea and no chance of pony getting it undone. It's also got a not overly strong clip so that it will break in an emergency but it's certainly strong enough to stop pony turning head around.

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  4. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

A friends mum uses the bungy cord with the quick release attached to the halter instead of the float that way it pings back away from the horse and stays with the float.

5. Flyfree

Flyfree New Member

Yeh he tries it when he's tied up as well cheeky boy

6. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

I have never tied my horses up in the float. They are always free to move their heads. I don't think I would like to do 750km a day in a float with my head tied.

7. Flyfree

Flyfree New Member

I must admit we had one of our horses the same just thought that might be an idea to try with this boy :)*

8. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Depends upon the length though. I travelled Kenoath from Darwin to home (3800 or so kms) in 5 days and yeah he was tied up but long enough to stretch his head down and eat the hay. Clipping him up was more to stop his head from getting behind the head divider.

9. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

I tie with big heavy duty rubber straps looped together (to get the right length). There's a big snap clip on one end and a equi-ping thingo on the other.

I tie so that the horse can move their head as needed but can't turn around or get their head under the chest bar etc. If I had a horse who liked to try and jump the chest bar I'd either use a wither strap or a 2nd lead rope that went under the chest bar as well.

10. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

rightio I said I'd get photos and photos I have.

Here's my float tie. This is actually a dog lead made out of 12mm yachting rope that my sister made for me but when I was looking at float ties couldn't really find one that I liked, looked at the dog lead and hullo!

[​IMG]
    long adjustment ^^^^^

[​IMG]
    Showing how it adjusts to go shorter.

[​IMG]
    and showing the half hitch around the hand loop of the dog lead.

The weak point on this setup is a small brass clip that will break no worries.

11. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Every time I see the title of this thread, I think it says Urinating in the Float :lol:

12. Flyfree

Flyfree New Member

Yes I agree put these glasses on next time I type !:hug:

13. maxntaz

maxntaz Well-known Member

Im another that doesnt tie up in the float. the only time i do, is if im floating two new horses that dont know each other, or if one horse likes to annoy the other.

In general tho with my two, my old boy is never tied up and Flynn (19 months) was tied up while he was really young as he used to put his head down alot. Now that he is older and fits the bays properly he hasnt been tied up for about 6 months.

I just use bindertwine, if they are tied up, but i havnt had the issue of a horse undoing themselves either.. i must be lucky LOL !!