unsociable mare

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Lisa, Jul 19, 2002.

1. Lisa

Lisa New Member

Can anyone suggest a reason why my mare would suddenly become aggressive towards other horses during ride outs when she has never been this way before? And is there a way to stop this behaviour?

2. valdez

valdez Well-known Member

Maybe she's in season??

3. Lisa

Lisa New Member

No shes not in season....I think maybe a dominance thing but its seems strange she has just began to behave this way.....(and its annoying as one cannot get too close to other horses!)

4. Em

Em Well-known Member

I know exactly what you are going through. My mare is exactly the same. In fact I would say at one stage she was actually quite savage! Would you say she has a lot of respect for you? as this can greatly affect the way they behave. It may also be this time of year. She may not be in season, but the days are getting longer and all her hormones are starting to kick in with the approach of breeding season. This may be an underlying factor.

One thing that I am doing with my mare is I get friends to walk straight up to my girl with their horses and the moment she puts her ears back we make life very uncomfortable. the person on the other horse keeps on coming while I just try and keep my mare faced up to the "intruder" The moment she stops being aggressive and puts her ears forward, all pressure is taken off. She is becoming much more sociable. She has a real dominance issue.

Em

5. Lisa

Lisa New Member

Thanks Em, that is very useful info and I might try what you have been doing with your mare. The respect issue is funny with horses, sometimes she shows great respect and then the old mood swing comes and its like I don't exist at all!

She did have a spell for a while so maybe she learnt this behaviour from being with 'a herd'. I'll put the pressure on and see how we go...

thanks again

6. icebabie296

icebabie296 New Member

Our friends gelding passed kidney stones a few months back, he was new and was fairly nasty. We thought that he was just like that. After passing his stones he has settled down and is not so nasty all the time, because he is not in pain. Maybe you are doing something differently, or changed your a peice of your tack that is making your horse uncomfortable, which could be why she is showing agression to other horses. Lets face it no one is in a good mood when their in pain. Just a thought though.

7. The Old Grey Mare

The Old Grey Mare Active Member

my mare can become quite irate if an unknown horse enters her territory, unfortunately, her territory is everything within sight. but usually a sharp word or two & all is OK. she just snakes the head about & swishes the tail, but thankfully no kicking. it is annoying but as i have been reminded by a friend, this is their natural instinct which takes precendence over any "civilized" behaviour that we try to teach them. some are more dominant than others. just remember to duck LOL