Unofficial Hacking and Double Bridles

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Northern Peregrine, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

Well I didnt think I knew best. I went to the experts and had a conversation with them. I then made a decision based on that.

I really do not think it is fair that my official horse be downgraded to compete against unofficial horses just cause my daughter feels more comfortable in unofficial due to her own misconceptions about what official is.

2. little_welsh

little_welsh Well-known Member

Well good because I also went to the experts and had a conversation with them.

3. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

im sorry little welsh but you really do apear to be carrying on about this where as everybody else seems to be constructivly discussing the subject.

not meaning to bring anything off the forum onto stockies but does it really need to be splashed over another site your distain for hacking? why not post the lovely pics that show your boy well presented they are lovely.

nobody is saying they no best or even getting heated on the subject so take a deep breath and we can all continue a very interesting informative thread

4. Que Sera Sera

and what did they say?

5. little_welsh

I'm sorry its just a sore spot with me. I've been through so much **** with hacking.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2009
  6. little_welsh

That my reason was legitimate and was the right reason to it. So pony is downgraded but I dont compete on him anyway (not that im not allowed to compete, I just dont). I also dont compete in hacking anymore which I think I have already stated.

7. chick_with_a_chainsaw

thats fine but people will take you much more seriously if you take a deep breath and type without to much errr emotion. dont worry i have to do it quite a bit cause it gets taken the wrong way.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2009
  8. Que Sera Sera

So I gather your reason for enquiring was different to ours? Can you answer ZaZa's post then. What will they accept as grounds for downgrading?

Just an edit to say, please dont feel like Im picking on you, which is not my intent. Its a genuine question about what is seen as accepted for downgrading. You are the only person I have heard that has downgraded, so I am curious.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  9. Kiwigirl

Kiwigirl Well-known Member

Not taking anything the wrong way :D I do agree with you but - and heres the BUT.

We have canter in a group issues (as in it is a bit too dangerous yet - improving but not quiet there yet) and I have nerves issues (this is my first year competing in anything) which makes the canter issues ALOT bigger - we are getting better and I want to go up to W/T/C by next year but I have to get the canter in a group thing sorted first - I won't put other people at risk cos of my dumb OTTB. So in the mean time I will do a few more W/T shows to conker the nerves :D

You will see me competing with you soonish - we WILL get there :eek:

10. chick_with_a_chainsaw

fair enough do what your comfortable with. if i choose to do a show later on in the year but on which of our horses.

if i ride the munchkin i will only do walk trot as i have major confidence issues with him and i completly understand the need for safety as well to stick to walk trot ring.

midget pony goes bonkers at a canter but not dangerously so if i compete her it would be wtc.

nerves make a HUGE difference in anything.

its ok you have plenty of time to come to the walk trot canter ring as most likely i wont be back on my grey until feb

11. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

Wow I love these threads :p

I intend on competing my mare officially next year BUT in eventing and maybe dressage, I will most likely get out and do a few small hack days also, but bugger off if someone wants to tell me I should go official for just a few hack days a year and pay shc rego etc.

My mare isn't exactly the hacky type anyway! Even if she was hacky type I would never show her officially as she has a big lumpy scar on her back leg that can only be covered to a degree.

And to be honest, I haven't recently seen any kids (or a great deal of adult riders also) competing in doubles who use the curb correctly.

12. MPKG

MPKG Active Member

If you horse has a big lumpy scar on it's leg I would NOT encourage you to go official anyway. We are only talking about going official if the horse is of official quality and most of us feel that if it is competing official that it shouldn't be downgraded.

One of the most important things in show horses is clean legs so your horse probably isn't suitable to official anyway.

13. Janet

Janet Guest

I had my daughters 22 year old Official Galloway downgraded. He is in Semi Retirement but still loves to be plaited up and go to a show. He makes us feel quite guilty if we leave him at home..LOL.
    He has arthritis and his movements are a bit stiff now but i wanted to downgrade him so that if I want to drag him along to an Adult show (not that we have many) then i could quite happily trot him out without the complaints.
    I haven’t taken him to one yet but if he's fit enough and i get some time i will let him have a day out. :)

The downgrading process is quite simple. You print off the form, fill in your reasons for downgrading and it goes to committee. You are advised if your application is successful.

Cheers
    Janet

14. himitsu

himitsu Well-known Member

yet i coped a bit of flack for taking my dressage horse to an unofficial hack show... and he has a huge lumpy scar on his back leg too?

Im in the do whatever you want bandwagon lol People should stop worrying about their competitors and focus on what THEY are doing :)

15. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

yep that's exactly what I think!

I had an official hack, I was going to compete him but never got around to it, had I competed it would have only been unoff because I'm not interested in competing hacking that much, and I can't afford to go out and buy the real hacky gear if I don't even like it OR if it doesn't fit well.

16. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Wouldn't things like scaring only set you back in best presented classes? And only maybe if the judge cannot pick between your horse and another one???

DO what you want as Himitsu said. Who cares if your horse has a lump on their leg, don't let anyone tell you what you should and shouldn't do!

17. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

lol wouldn't be so bad if it was just a scar, but it's pretty lumpy, and noticeably bigger than her other leg, and after all hacking is about presentation. If she was a real hacky horse probably wouldn't be so bad, but she's a bit heavy and warmbloody for the hack ring, I think her colour is a bit all over the place for hacking also! Shame because she has a lot of chrome LOL *#)

Doesn't bother me, that's not why I bought her and I have no intention of competing in hacking anyway, only a few fun days here and there.

18. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

Hacking is a beauty pagent/modelling competition, seriously do you think chadwicks would put you up on the catwalk if you had a big scar down your leg. Hacking is about finding a supermodel a getting them to strut their stuff. Therefore 'non supermodels' belong in unofficial doesn't mean its not a well conformed nice enough horse just not a supermodel (maybe they have a dorky head or thick legs) and I don't see why past there peak supermodels can't go back to unofficial we all peak sometime.

19. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

This is an interesting thread :D

There are a couple of VERY successful official hacks that have massive splints... so clean legs can't be that important ;)

As to gear, as has been said, official quality gear doesn't have to be expensive.

20. himitsu

himitsu Well-known Member

i LOVE her colour!!!