Unofficial Hacking and Double Bridles

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Northern Peregrine, Jul 30, 2009.

1. princeton

princeton Well-known Member

I do think that you miss understood Lin :)
    I read what was posted as being supportive of your views :)

2. MPKG

MPKG Active Member

I think so to. Sorry Lin :D

3. SMR

SMR Well-known Member

Lateral movements aren't something that are practiced because they are in dressage tests, but because they are suppling and strengthening exercises. Unless you have a supple horse that can do lateral work, how can you keep your horse straight and working in a correct frame?

4. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

Suppleness is part of any good training. Lateral work helps build this, yes. I'm sure hacks in training utilise these movements as well.

Not sure what the point you are making is, SMR. Sorry.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  5. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

Hehe, MPKG. I think I will bow out of this thread now.

I'm either spreading mass confusion among others or suffering from it myself! LOL

:eek:

6. buggalugs

buggalugs Well-known Member

Lin - my post was more to Sil who i think may have missed your point...

MPKG - i am sure you know more about horses than just what lies in the realm of hacking. just because i event doesnt mean i have no clue as to what hacking requires (thanks to my first instructor and her HOTY that i learnt to ride on). i think you may have missed the point of everyones venting in regard to hacks. i think we are in agreeance that there are some LOVELY hacks but there tends to be a stereotype that accompanies hacking. that being - jammed up over-bitted fat horses who despite moving well are snots to ride because they are overfed and an underworked. yes this is not necessarily true BUT it is the stereotype. just as eventers are nut-job greyhound looking failed racehorses who need drugs to do a calm dressage test and huge bits to pull up from a mad bolt gallop xc. unfortunalty whilst this does not necessarily reflect the elite of either sports... it does tend to be a common occurence and it is always the worst that accompanies the discipline as the stereotype. as offensive as it is.

7. MPKG

MPKG Active Member

I think I might do the same.

We are sooooo off topic now lol

8. norrishbex

norrishbex Well-known Member

I totally agree.

Lateral work, when performed correctly, is a great tool for improving gaits. I always warm up at events with a fair amount of lateral work, and at the moment both the horses I ride are only at prelim.

Back to the whole double bridle question, I think that the majority of judges would overlook what gear you have on your horse, so long as it is going nicely, and the horse has the qualities that they are looking for in that particular class.

I don't think that it should be a question of what gear you have, so long as it is safe and clean. If you and your horse is turned out nicely, then that's all that matters.

If the organisers ask you to ride in a snaffle, then you take the curb off, pretty simple.

9. MPKG

MPKG Active Member

*Nods head in aggreeance*.

Now off to do some work lol

10. buggalugs

buggalugs Well-known Member

ahhh but you should have straight before sideways ;) straight comes from forward - sideways shows a level of self carriage, obedience to aids and straightness :D

sorry had to be picky - can you tell im sick of work today LOL!!

11. princeton

princeton Well-known Member

I don't know many top show horses who couldn't whip out a very ridable shoulder-in, travers or counter canter.... Even hack riders understand the merits of straightness......

Hoohummm

12. tammyprez

tammyprez Well-known Member

i hack and do dressage

it's my favourite thing 2 do

but i'm not pro or in a double or a stock or any thing like that... i think they are 2 different things but both enjoyable

13. chanel

chanel Well-known Member

I love my hacking.
    i have just bought an official horse that i am downgrading to un-off for a year then go to offical.untill then every show i go to i will be riding in a double and i wont givewhat other people think.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  14. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Can I ask why???? If your new horse is of Official quality, why aren't you keeping it there:confused: Especially if you intend on competing Official with it?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  15. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

Yeah thats what I want to know as well. If he is an official horse keep him in official. Ask Tarz about the difference between official and unofficial....absolutely nothing. She did the swap this year to official. Its only about the quality of the horse, not the atmosphere or a feeling of having to be a perfect rider with a perfectly behaved horse.

I have pencilled for official judges and most are quite patient with young green official horses. Even to the point of letting them finish a work out even after a fall or the horse running out of the ring. In one case (at a slow show) the judge gave one competitor a quick lesson on her horse when the show was over. The judge and the rider/owner had never met before.

I really wish my daughter would get it into her head that official is not some big scary place.

16. little_welsh

little_welsh Well-known Member

I dont want to turn this into an arugement, but if she wants to take her horse unofficial I think she has every right to do that. Pressuring people into offical isnt a good idea, Just because a horse goes well in a double doesnt make it offical quality. Also being official is quite expencive, you have to buy the nice show gear and keep up with all the styles as they change. I was pressured into official by alot of people and I absolutely hated it I always felt inferior and I couldnt afford all the nice gear like all the other people there. All im saying is you should think twice before going into official it really is a bigger step than some people make it out to be. Just because a horse is winning in unoff doesnt necassarily make it good enough for official.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  17. madcow

madcow Guest

So little Welsh....you don't mind if someone goes and buys an OFFICAL horse and then takes it down to the encouragement ring and competes against you?

18. little_welsh

If they are within the rules, I honestly wouldn't care.

19. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

i think if your horse is official quaility and already competing official then dont down grade it as its not fair.

im not a ribbon grabber but i hardly think its fair me getting bumped down because my pony is just that. fat frumpy, short strided welsh/arab and i like competing and i know me and my pony do quite well competing but its hardly fair expecting her to vs horses nowhere near her quality. yes she has competed against several that i think could do official but we only have a chance generally against them in rider. versing the other horses that have better strides etc but dont have the official look we do have a chance and have both been put under them and over them which is how i like it. the challenge without being unfair

20. little_welsh

But what if you bought a horse because it was safe reliable horse but was competeing official, and all you wanted to do with it was a few hack shows at your local pony club. It would make sence to downgrade it. Are you saying that a beginner rider should be thrown into an official ring, Or should they just not buy a nice horse at all?