Unofficial Hacking and Double Bridles

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Northern Peregrine, Jul 30, 2009.

1. princeton

princeton Well-known Member

And now that I know my horse is going to win because he is pretty there is no need for me to continue 'training' it....Its not like I aspire to better him or myself anyway as I do 'hacking' not dressage....I wasnt aware that aspirations to improve were only found within the boundaries of a 20x60 dressage arena:confused:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  2. princeton

Yes, I agree with your last comment Lin..(did I say that already?)
    There are training scales in ALL disciplines......

3. sil

sil Gold Member

The dressage german training scale is not the be all and end all of what is 'correct' training for a horse in all disciplines. This is something that always consternates me about the dressage scene - it can almost be parelli-ish in its 'there is only one true way' viewpoint.

4. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Just an opinion **). Certainly what I say doesn't mean that is the right way. Its just how I feel. I certainly don't have any less respect for those compete in the double unless of course its being obviously abused.

Saying that some hack horses are well educated enough and don't need to prove themselves in the dressage arena ;). Like your own he's done very successfully!

But how can I talk anyway! I haven't compete official yet ;). The horses I plan to be at that level are either green or unbroken, so maybe I should just read the thread :D.

It is an interesting read however. I think some people need to go back to the OP question lol and some need to not take things so personally. There's bashing with every disapline you do, you just need to ignore it and continue doing what you love.

5. princeton

*shrugs*
    No offence, but I couldnt really care less what anyone's opinions are LOL
    I do it because I enjoy it :)
    We will see what your horses are wearing when you take them out next;)
    ps. My horse is in no way highly educated for dressage....not even close LOL....He can walk, trot and canter nicely though LOL*#)

6. samm

samm Gold Member

Even wearing bling :p

7. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

:( I was actually agreeing with you in a way Princeton. Was trying to be nice :(.

8. princeton

No bling in the dressage ring for us Sammy....you would be proud :D

9. princeton

LOL...I know? Nothing I wrote there was being mean....was trying to be funny:D

Im just not really one that cares what other people think :)

10. samm

samm Gold Member

I'm going to HAVE to come and see this :D

11. princeton

(falsie, make-up, quarters, raven oil, boned ears and shaved tail remain though:p)

12. Jadelise

Jadelise Well-known Member

Very nicely :D

I agree i used to ride my galloway in a double because it looked nicer he went exactly the same in both and i didnt use the curb

13. princeton

There is a certain stunning chestnut out and about at the moment who isnt in a dble yet either and he is doing really well.
    My horse won his weight class in the Inter ring at the EFA Novice/Inter show in a snaffle.....I really dont think it makes that much difference at the end of the day......Its all just for looks :D

14. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

Um, MPKG, you seem to have the idea that I think top level hacks are stiff or not quality at all. I have not said this at all in any of my posts. I don't know where you are getting this from but sorry if you think this is the case.

15. MPKG

MPKG Active Member

My bad Lin, that is the impression I got. :D

16. buggalugs

buggalugs Well-known Member

Lin - i think MPKG just got their nickers in a knot cos someone said something derogatory about hacking... possibly they havent read all the threads where dressage riders, eventers showjumpers get bagged too. This is a public forum - everyone has their dislikes about others training techniques... even within diciplines :eek:

just to point out - the german training scale isnt the be all and end all of the dressage world either. i have two instructors - one classical, one modern (german TS) and both are aspiring to achieve the same thing with all their students - light even paces with self carriage, softness in the contact and athletisism to produce the best possible test. i would have thought that that would be relevant to the hack ring too. surely the best hack has lovely paces and is a joy to ride. it is responsive, light, well schooled and athletic. the difference being it should ALSO BE PRETTY TO LOOK AT. just because it is not schooled to lateral movements collection it should still have the basics the same as any ridden horse.

my PET hate is all those riders who ride around in a frame - dressage, hack, jumping whatever - who think that cos their horse has its head down it is working! NOT! there are too many horses not using themselves - not working from behind, coming up into the bit. yes we are not all perfect and we are all still working towards perfection BUT if i was to pick the difference between hacking and dressage - this is measured (we hope) in dressage. and this is the difference IMO between the two (in practise not theory)

whomever made the comment that most of the kids riding in the interschools who do well in hacking are the ones who place in dressage - thats because until now low level dressage has not taken this into account. i dare say that in the future with the new tests you will see many of these kids fail to succeed UNLESS they are doing the basic training - whatever scale you choose which SHOULD be the basis for every discipline.

oh and MPKG - this is a forum... putting JMO after may mean that it is still offensive to you, but it is their opinion and they are allowed to air it just as you are allowed to air yours.

17. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

BTW, MPKG, I wholeheartedly agree with what you are saying. :) There are plenty of good hacks out there getting around, the same as there are plenty of ordinary dressage horses out there too. And there are a zillion horses that tonk around in both.

Not that this has anything to do with double bridles! :D

Buggalugs, that was what I was saying. Everyone follows a training scale. Call it german or classical or whatever you like. When you boil it down the basics of rhythm, suppleness, contact, impulsion, straightness, ... they're all in there somewhere.

18. MPKG

MPKG Active Member

No actually I haven't read those other threads because I am not apart of that sport nor do I have any interest in them, maybe one day but not now, I wouldn't bag other people's disciplines especially not publicly because I don't think it is my place too do so and I don't know much when it comes to anything other than show horses.

I didn't realise I am not allowed be offended by someones opinion, they are as you said entitled too it, but that doesn't mean it isn't offensive. If I said seriously, Women shouldn't be allowed to vote because they aren't smart enough (I don't think this lol), just because it is my opinion doesn't make it any less offensive. I was merely pointing this out.

By the way Buggalugs, good post lol

19. MPKG

MPKG Active Member

Hehehe, yeh your right.

If I where a horse, I would definitely be a revy thoroughbred lol.

20. princeton

I dont know you at all Bug, but I certainly agree with a lot of what you post **)