Unofficial Hacking and Double Bridles

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Northern Peregrine, Jul 30, 2009.

1. sil

sil Gold Member

A young child can definitely ride in a double, and well - provided they have been properly taught to ride, are independent in the seat and good in their hands, are mounted on an appropriately schooled horse and have been educated to the use of a double bridle (or more to the point, when not to use the curb!).

Not many children fall into that category though, and I don't know of any schools that educate kids to this level.

2. cuddly_pony

cuddly_pony New Member

Brilliantly said MPKG
    Again I will say why should a horse that is highly trained but not pretty enough to go official not be able to ride in a double unofficial?

3. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

The point is they CAN:)*...and not just because they are not "pretty" enough. They maybe just not the "type" for Official showhorse/hunter**) Their are plenty of pretty horses in Unofficial:D

4. pso

pso Gold Member

yep- Like I said- its just MY opinion... I'm not going to lobby to make it a rule ! :D *#)
    I dont think its 'right' for high level official riders, to compete against those who are just learning...or dont have a horse good enough for official...and like I said- thats just me, my opinion- I have been told often I have impossibly high standards...:p

But- I guess its hard to define high level in hacking....given that there are no standards/levels?;)

5. MPKG

MPKG Active Member

There are standards to a degree, Newcomer, Novice, Intermediate, Open Show Horse.

In hacking sometimes it doesn't matter how good the rider is, if the horse isn't nice enough then it won't do well, I couldnt care less if I was competing against Anky herself, if the horse isn't nice enough she won't make a difference.

6. cuddly_pony

cuddly_pony New Member

I know goodie I agree
    I am one myself Pony is very well educated but not the type for official
    :)
    I was waiting for someone to give me a reason because I cant find one:)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  7. pso

pso Gold Member

Yep- exactly**)

The standard of training is meaningless in hacking- if the horse isnrt nice enough:))

8. RPS

RPS Well-known Member

With all due respect and without starting a war of words, here goes - hacking and dressage are so totally different. IMO

HACKING - if your horse is drop dead gorgeous and can sort of move well look no further, based on what I have seen place under some official judges it doesn't need to have manners.

DRESSAGE - is a discipline it doesn't matter what your horse looks like, if it's clipped or not or how pretty it is. It is marked on set criteria, if it doesn't meet the criteria it doesn't get the marks.

Would be very interesting to see some of these stunning champion winning official hacks go and compete against a dressage horse in a dressage test. A dressage horse needs to be able to act on a cue when it is asked not 1/2 a 50m circle later.

My original point was aimed at if you can't control the horse or have it working correctly in a snaffle then you sure as can't control it or have it working correctly in a double, this is not a quick fix as many seem to think. This is why there is a requirement for horses to be ridden in only a snaffle up to a certain level in dressage. If it does not have the correct level of suppleness, engagement and submission then it will not perform the movements correctly. Does hacking have the same criteria as far as the training scale?

I have seen some woeful displays with doubles in the unofficial hack ring and quite honestly am so sick to death of seeing jammed up overbent horses who's riders think that this is how it should be. ( running to hide now ). JMO

9. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

Hit the nail on the head for me Goodie.

If you are competing unofficial in a double, then your horse better be sway backed and clubbed footed at least, otherwise your horse is good enough for official.

I have an official horse. His education is not complete, but he will still do official. He is nowhere near ready for a double, neither is the rider, but he is still official quality (when in work LOL) He has never seen the inside of an unofficial ring.

10. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

Oh thats the hacking fashion atm. All running behind the poll. Its not just in unofficial, have you seen some of the official ponies?

11. tammyprez

tammyprez Well-known Member

thats very true! tho 2 be honest i'm not the best of riders but i'm very careful about how my horses work(eg head position etc)

=)

12. PetaBizz

PetaBizz Well-known Member

Sil, I do believe there are a few schools out there teaching kids the correct way to use a double, Tallarook Park certainly being one of them! Tallarook kids go out on well educated ponies, in doubles and perform very well. It is actually a lovely thing to see!:eek:

13. MPKG

MPKG Active Member

What's with everyone hating on hacking, if you don't like it, DON'T DO IT AND DON'T WATCH!!!

I am sick of people passing judgement, who the hell do they think they are to judge me or my discipline, I will do what I want with my horse.

If I want to ride in a double bridle then I will ride in a double bridle and I won't have ANYONE tell me what I am doing is wrong.

If you love dressage that much and what it stands for then go do that, like I have said before on this forum, I disagree with several methods used by dressage riders but you don't get me on here every chance I get picking fault.

I think people need too start minding there own business and stop caring about what everyone else is doing so much.

And just a note too everyone, just because you say "JMO", it doesn't make it ANY less offensive.

14. cleo

cleo Well-known Member

Totally agree PB

15. RPS

RPS Well-known Member

I think you missed the point MPKG, the original post was in regard to UNOFFICIAL hacks, but then you seem to be very defensive, so if the shoe fits.
    I have no knowledge of you or your horses YOU might be accomplished with a double bridle doesn't mean to say that those that compete unofficial ( and they compete at that for a reason, whether it be rider or horse capability ) are as accomplished, capable or experienced.

I don't hate hacking but I do object to the bad manners and disobedient behaviour of horses being rewarded as happens way to often in official hacking. Just because the horse is stunning doesn't mean it should be allowed to or rewarded for behaving like a pig.#(

By the way as this is an open forum people are entitled to air their opinion whether or not it offends you, if you don't like people airing their opinions either don't read ( as you said don't watch hacking ) or go to Bunnings and buy a bag of cement and harden the **** up.

16. TB4Me

TB4Me Well-known Member

:D :D Awesome.

The main problem with double bridles is the same problem that is rife in the rest of the horse world - ie everyone else but you is doing it wrong :p

(tongue in cheek obviously)

17. MPKG

MPKG Active Member

I think if you actually went too Horse of The Year or a similar show you would understand that these bad mannered horses aren't actually winning.

A lot of judges won't over look poor work or bad manners making your assumptions completely incorrect.

And yes, I am defensive because of so many ignorant people passing judgement and making comments on things that they know very little about.

I don't mind people airing there opinions, but in this case it is ill informed and very clearly incorrect.

Any one that is serious about showing knows what you are saying is WRONG!!!!!

18. RPS

RPS Well-known Member

Interesting editing of the original post !!!!!!! WHICH READ " By the way as this is an open forum people are entitled to air their opinion whether or not it offends you, if you don't like people airing their opinions either don't read ( as you said don't watch hacking ) or go to Bunnings and buy a bag of cement and harden the **** up.

19. MPKG

MPKG Active Member

Should this make any sense?

I'm sorry but I don't get it?

I just hit quote?

20. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

awwww QSS:( My horse is not sway backed or club footed, and is a long way off being ridden in a double ...but when he is ready I fully intend to ride him in one and compete in unofficial, and he will never go official (not really the type...lol). So sorry, don't agree with you on that one:p As I said their are plenty of nice horses in Unofficial, some of them educated and ready to use a double but they will never make Official.**)