Unofficial Hacking and Double Bridles

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Northern Peregrine, Jul 30, 2009.

1. chanel

chanel Well-known Member

Exactly what i hate!! i think there should be an age limit maybe 12 and up.
    i think if you cant controle your horse at all paces then you certinally shouldnt be in a double.

2. himitsu

himitsu Well-known Member

SHOOT ME! I rode my medium dressage horse, in a double, unofficial hacking. But it was horse's first hack show, i certainly dont hack often (first for the year, and only did breed shows last year) and have never been official.

I toyed with putting him unofficial but this is my reasons behind not:
    1. He doesnt have a card/isnt rego'd with SHC and i wasnt going to do that for 1 show.
    2. If i took him in the official ring, under the new rules i wouldnt be able to take my youngster out unofficial hacking as an outing, and i am NOT taking a green horse official! Im not even a hack rider!
    3. I was just taking him hacking to get all dressed up and have a good time, i didnt give a stuff whether we placed or what happened, it was all about having fun.

NOT that i feel i need to explain myself to anyone on here since i was well within the rules, just stating that there are certainly instances when a horse is kinda out of place in both rings, so the rider has to choose.

Having said that, i am of the opinion that doubles are for horses with medium-level education or above. agree with walk/trot ring comments.

3. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Agreed.. whenever you go to hack shows theirs *always* atleast 1 horse in the wrong class.. I hate seeing the same horse always get champion in the walk trot ring and than even after constantly winning champion they don't move up! I know some horses arn't ready to canter in groups but it's annoying seeing rider cantering around in the warm up arena and doing wt hmf.. lol.. ok rant over.

4. tammyprez

tammyprez Well-known Member

actually wot is worse is a rider at 14 or 15, big(in all ways) on a 12 hh pony!!!!

when hacking

soz for changing subject but it's true!!!!!!

5. little_welsh

little_welsh Well-known Member

I'm almost 15 and I ride a 12.2 pony in hacking and showjumping? do you think thats too small?

6. tammyprez

depends if ur big?!???

7. tammyprez

i sold my 12.2 pony at the start of the year and i'm 14 but i was still riding her coz i was quite skinny(tho longs legs) lol

8. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

tammyprez: I go to a lot of shows here in WA...can't remember seeing a 5-7 yo using a double?

himitsu: you don't need a card of any sort to compete in Official (understand your other points though):)*

chanel: sorry...don't see how an age limit would make a difference...plenty of 30 yo don't use a double properly:(

I think some of the problem is a lot of people do not understand the double...it is NOT a harsh bit when used correctly..BUT does need to be used CORRECTLY:)*

not sure how this turned into a "who should ride what size pony thing" but remember, all ponies (even little ones) have to start their education with a rider, and until they are ready I would rather have a big kid or adult on a pony than endanger a small child:)*

9. little_welsh

little_welsh Well-known Member

The only pic I could find. I know its a sj pic but its just for size.

[​IMG]

Sorry for thread hijacking

10. tammyprez

bold-the kids get taught 2 ride in a double at a young age, don't really learn how 2 ride properly. this hasn't just came from my mouth tho. i've heard lots of ppl saying that it is a 2 young age

i have actually seen a few young riders in doubles

11. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Nope i don't think you look to big for her.
    It's not like your heavy and your legs arn't past his/her belly so looks fine to me *#)
    I don't like really tall people on ponies lol.. it looks unpoportional?

12. chanel

chanel Well-known Member

you look it the show scene mags and then look around the royal show time and you see all those little peeps

13. tammyprez

u look quite small... i think thats fine! =)

14. tammyprez

thats wot i'm saying!!! =)

15. chanel

chanel Well-known Member

Looking good.
    nice pony by the way

16. MPKG

MPKG Active Member

I definitely disagree with you, I have hacked officially for as long as I can remember but if I went and did dressage or showjumping I guarantee you I would not be doing so officially. I don't really know the ins and outs of ANY other discipline.

Also the opposite of my situation would be even a FEI dressage horse competing in the hack ring, most (not all) don't know the ins and outs of showing like ring craft and also turnout so how can you expect them to be competetive. And just because a horse is highly trained doesn't make it pretty enough to hack.

In regards to the double bridle, what people have too understand is that a double bridle is a part of a show horses gear, I don't use the double for any other reason than for show, it just refines the horses head and finishes the picture. That is what hacking is all about - the picture. Any bit in the wrong hands can be harsh and no bit is any exception. There are controversial methods used by top dressage riders but we aren't all sitting here picking fault with them, one thing that jumps too my mind is hyper flexion. There are things about any discipline that people of other disciplines wouldn't agree with. People seem too be of the view that hack riders don't know how to use doubles but I guarantee you that there aren't that many people using them "incorrectly". There are alot of fei riders not using them correctly either so why is the spot light on the hackies?

I dont want to offend anyone and I am not trying to be unkind about dressage but I am sick of people saying that hackies don't know how too use them.

At the end of the day as I said before hacking is about the picture and if the horse isn't accepting the double then it will show and they won't do very well.

I don't see a problem with unofficial horses having a double on, as long as horse and rider are capable of handling it.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  17. chanel

chanel Well-known Member

well said MPKG

18. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Very well written MPKG!!

I'd just like to add that there might be (as in my case) other reasons to be in a walk/trot ring other than your horse can't canter in public (PMSL it is Bear's fave gait and I've never seen such a large horse canter so slowly or so sneakily :eek:).

19. MPKG

MPKG Active Member

me either goodie, I can't remember one person that young using a double????

20. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

I'll agree to disagree;):D