Unofficial Hacking and Double Bridles

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Northern Peregrine, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

No matter how well he worked or was presented, I know my horse will never be an Official Hack;):)* IMO if your horse is of Official quality it should start in Official. Thats why we have Newcomers and Novice and Intermediate:)

2. Happy Gambler

Happy Gambler Well-known Member

Good thread, let hope its doesnt "turn" ;)
    I've ridden my eventer in a double at unofficial hacking. He goes well in it (IMO), will never be an official hack and sometimes (once a year, maybe not even that often!) I want to dress up in hackie gear and have a fun day out :)
    To the OP, go for it :))

3. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Lin, there are plenty of "non quality" horses in the official ring believe me!

Its quite easy what the judge would choose, regardless of bits in the mouth, the best quality horse on the day. I have forgiven a wrong leg to the best quality horse and placed it first over all the others because even though it made a minor mistake, it completed the rest of the workout nicely and there is no way I would put a less quality animal over it, even if they didnt make a mistake.

There are lots of different scenarios that can take place when judging that leads us to make one decision or another however at the end of the day, double or snaffle, the best horse should win (unless it is being really really naughty!)

As someone else said, just because you win Champion Unofficial all the time does not mean your horse is good enough to compete official. We see in the official ring the same horses winning over and over but does that mean because they have reached "the top" in hacking that they shouldnt compete anymore???
    I rode an unofficial hack years ago and I stayed there for 3 years and clean sweeped every show, every rug, every garland I could for that time and I didnt care what people thought, I had no desire to be in the official hack ring, I had spent years in the official junior ring and wanted to take the pressure off.

So if you want to stay in unofficial for the rest of your life! Go for it I say! :):)*

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  4. Serenity

Serenity Well-known Member

I do agree 100% with Kimaley that double bridles should not be used in the walk-trot ring. If they cant canter, they certainly shouldnt be using a double bridle!! **) JMO

5. Sorry but I disagree completely with that statement. Competitors with quality horses should not be using this ring as a training ground - get your work established at home and then as Goodie says - do Newcomer/Novice/Intermediate.

6. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

Somewhere though, you need a judge to give you a clue as to whether your horse is really "quality" or not? What happens if you think your horse is Official quality but not established in its work, go Newcomers only to discover that he's not really "quality" enough to be competitive in the Official ring. Once you have gone Official you are stuck there and can't go back, I thought.

Hacking is such a subjective discipline that it's hard to make head or tail of the unofficial ring sometimes. Especially if you are sitting on an obedient, good working but not so stunning horse! You never know what to expect on the day. Could be a day of in, round and out or a day of ribbons. :)

Bethy, I should have said the "committed" hack rider winning Champion after Champion. There are plenty of people who just want to go hacking for a social day out with their horses and friends (me included). And then there are people who make it their passion, they're the ones I think would want to have some progression upwards to official in mind.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  7. cuddly_pony

cuddly_pony New Member

I think if you are ready to move up into a double and your horse works comfortably in it and rider knows how to use it then ride in a double at unofficial level w/t/c
    Why should a horse and rider that is ready for a double not be able to compete in it just because its not pretty enough? Because not all people in the unofficial ring necessarily want to go official but compete at the level they are most capable at:)

8. Ask someone with an eye for a quality official horse (eg a national level judge or someone who has produced more than one HOTY or Royal winner) to have a look and give you their opinion before you start competing. Then get the basics established before you do compete.

Apparently you can go back to the unofficial ring if you get permission from EWA. The SHC don't have any rules from what I can gather.

9. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Judges general rule is to keep our opinions to ourselves, even when asked.
    If you want an opinion on how quality your horse is for competing at whatever level, get it outside the show ring.:)***)

10. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

I'm going to get crucified for saying this I'm sure....

And then you have the ones who are pot hunting.
    Those who probabley could hold their own at the next level but choose to stay at the top of the unofficial ring for fear of being lower down the ranks of the official one.
    JMHO.

But we digress. None of this really is of concern to the OP.
    She asked can she use a double and she has her answer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2009
  11. This is exactly what I said! Ask someone BEFORE you compete. I judge and I have advised many people on whether a horse is suitable (or not) for the official ring. Providing help or advice is not against the rules.

12. Skittled

Skittled Well-known Member

I dont know if it helps or not, but all the walk/trot hack classes I've been in have stated that the horse must be ridden in a snaffle. The SHC newcomer of the year also had a rule that all horses must ridden in a snaffle bridle.

13. Northern Peregrine

Northern Peregrine Well-known Member

Yes I'm clearer on this now. Thanks to all who replied. Just for the record ..although I may have given this impression... I won't be rushing out to any hack classes in a double just yet. I will only be using it when my instructor thinks I am capable enough. I rarely go to hack days and will only go in WTC ( although my boy tends to get somewhat over-excited cantering with other horses) on the occasions when I do. I have absolutely no plans to get serious about hacking..most definitely no official on the horizon for me. I actually hate the plaiting...I'm much too lazy for all that :eek:

14. pso

pso Gold Member

I dunno- I've always held the belief that if you are competing officially in ANY discipline...especially at the higher levels...then you shouldnt be doing unofficial in ANY discipline (except HC)..
    JMO:))

15. Exactly. And that is why I get peeved when official dressage horses are allowed to compete in Assoc comps - on the same day and not even HC!!

16. pso

pso Gold Member

It is actually against the rules of associate dressage to make official riders compete HC...
    And associate dressage ISNT unofficial dressage;)

17. springbok

springbok Well-known Member

Do you mean between disciplines or within them? I disagree. Perhaps between dressage and hacking yes but not with other disciplines. I don't think it's fair to expect a D grade show jumper to compete in official dressage or a Pre-Novice eventer not to compete in unofficial (ie. less than 115cm) show jumping .... Also, many eventers use the training and associate tests as practice for eventing - I don't think they should be expected to go official.

18. pso

pso Gold Member

Between disciplines

so...hypothetically- You would think it ok for say...and olympic level competitor...to compete in associate dressage (officially- for prizes)

I meant the higher levels (say adv dressage/starred eventing/ a/b grade SJ) and the riders more so than the horses...;)

19. springbok

springbok Well-known Member

Hmm still don't agree because they'd have young horses etc that wouldn't compete official straight out .... Especially show jumpers and eventers.

No comment ...... :}

20. tammyprez

tammyprez Well-known Member

wot i dont like is 5 to 7 yr old riders in a double... i think it's ridiculous at that age!! and i don't like seeing or hearing about young green horses in a double!!! also a horse in a double coz it's strong!!! (and thats bcoz its been ruffly handled/hard mouth)

but a soft horse is nice