Unofficial Hacking and Double Bridles

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Northern Peregrine, Jul 30, 2009.

1. MPKG

MPKG Active Member

I don't understand what you are trying to prove, I agree with you?

Don't you get my point at all, surely you do if you say you have hacked before.

I can only think of 1 HOTY winner that has a huge splint but I am not saying they can't win with a splint, I have already said earlier that if the horse is exceptional in other areas judges can forgive it.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  2. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Sorry MPKG, will go and reread but I keep reading your posts as a splint is not an issue at all in hacking yet you will be put down severely for a scar.

I am not saying you are incorrect just that I disagree with which one has more emphasis put on it LOL.

Himitsu, how did he break his splint bone? I would think that there would need to be an underlying weakness for a horse to do that playing in the paddock... but then I am not a vet ;)

3. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

"Yes, a splint is usually due to either over work at a young age or poor conformation whereas a scar is usually due to injury. I know which one I would chose if I was looking to breed on ;)"

I have seen many splints that have nothing to do with over work or conformation, but rather has more to do with a bang on the leg.

I had a mare get splints on the outside of both her cannon bones as a youngster .....she bashed she legs on a gate.....admitedly they went away, but were treated. How many do not get treated & stay ..... you can tell from the position of a splint if it is a conformational issue, so really it should be taken into consideration. :)

4. MPKG

MPKG Active Member

No definitely not, I was only referring to small splints that a lot of judges wouldn't be able to see where as a big scar is obvious. Not saying splints don't matter because they do but having said that they will still do well if there other features are by far superior.

Far out, still can't get over how off topic this is!!!

5. himitsu

himitsu Well-known Member

no idea, banged it on something i'd say - other foot? got a kick? dunno would have to ask him LOL But it swelled up with soft swelling knee-hoof - i thought it was an infection since he wasnt lame until the swelling interfered with his movement. Vet lanced it and puss was fluid not infection, so then had scans etc etc done to determine diagnosis. Horse was off work 3 months and treated but a splint remains. Luckily the position of it means it doenst interfere with tendons and causes no further issues, but i always boot him to work just in case he bangs it.

6. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

I have actually enjoyed reading it MPKG & had a few laughs along the way :) Thank you Princeton, I like your style LOL :)
    I dont hack but I can certainly enjoy watching any horse in any displine that moves well, is well trained & ridden well.
    It is a delight to see any horse & rider combination that have it together & I enjoy reading about displines that I know nothing about :)
    All a learning curve :)

7. lochnessmonster86

lochnessmonster86 New Member

I agree **) I managed to waste about 20 mins reading this thread at work today lol :p very interesting to see everyone's opinions

8. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

mirawee - himitsu & KC are correct that trauma can cause massive splints.i am a vet who has treated these,& i did not IMO find a conformational fault with those i have diagnosed.
    if you provide a vet certificate as to why the splint is present,then will the judges ignore it & thus not mark horse down?
    yes i stupidly double posted about this subject but have henceforth read all this with interest. i don't think natural digression of topics is a bad thing.:)

9. chanel

chanel Well-known Member

Because i dont think IM ready for the off ring.jyst because i bought a horse thats official dosnt mean i am.He hasnt compete for nearly a year anyway.I didnt buy im because hes official i bought hikm because hes safe and very well educated.so i dont really get why people have to complain when they dont know the full story??**)

10. tammyprez

tammyprez Well-known Member

very true!!!

11. sil

sil Gold Member

Well for what it's worth, here's what I personally think is judged in the ring:

Conformation: overall quality conformation, correct legs, correct quarters, good front
    Type: the appearance of a hack, quality face, 'presence', 'charisma'
    Movement: three correct, elegant paces, that cover the ground in an acceptable manner. A walk that is smooth, an attractive trot, an easy canter, with an appearance of being into the hand
    Manners: a horse that is a pleasure to ride and a willing worker
    Finish: the overall finish of the horse, grooming, correct and clean tack

If each of those has a percentage of the total result, then if the horse bucks a rider off it may still be of high enough quality and type to win the class. Conversely, an average horse with average movement who does a good show, may still not win the class if it is mentally marked down overall.

12. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

:rolleyes: maybe you could point out where I am complaining:confused: I just asked a question...and have an opinion which has not changed:)*

BUT...if you are buying/have bought an Official pony that is safe and well educated, why is it any safer/different to ride in Official? Once again, not complaining...just wondering as you said yourself that it is just for a year and you would be going back to Official? I also presume you are a competant rider, as you have said you will be using a double.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  13. Kiwigirl

Kiwigirl Well-known Member

Could be in relation to a coment she has made in a different thread.

and I quote "I am despriate for a garland"

14. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Ah, so you noticed that too.
    #(

15. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

Official is no different to unofficial. I know we have competed in both with an unofficial horse and and official horse. Judges are just as friendly and just as forgiving of green horses and riders. The unofficial horse was more educated than the official but lacked confirmation and 'type' for official. You are ready for official even if you dont think you are. You have an official horse so go official, it doesnt matter that he hasnt shown for a year. What will be the difference in showing unofficial to official other than your perceptions of official being this big scary place.

16. princeton

princeton Well-known Member

*Takes a bow*;)

17. mav

mav Well-known Member

wow.... this thread has gone from one thing to another...

i have competed with a double before and i must say i HATED it!! i found i never used the curb rein (got told of coz it looped) and having the double reins in my hands felt clumsy and awkward.

to the op - if andwhen your ready for it go for it. you are the one who owns the horse and you would know if your ready.

now i think i'll back out slowly and stick to my eventing... i dont like circles, i cant plait and ask oldhack what happens when i try and do make-up :D:eek:

18. MPKG

MPKG Active Member

hehehe, I LOVE circles lol

I wish I had the guts to go eventing but I will stick to nice SAFE circles hehehehe

It looks like so much fun.

19. zendor

zendor Well-known Member

was just thinking exactly the same thing mav ... I can plait but man dont let me anywhere near ravens oil ... chalk is okay cos you can get it off but I get ravens oil every where lol...

OP if you feel you and your horse are ready for it then go for it, its your choice

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  20. SexyRitzy

SexyRitzy Well-known Member

haha i can't plait (very well) i like doing circles and never attempted to put make up on a horse bar the clear stuff..where does that put me?? :))

never ridden in a double probably never will so i can't comment, but you know your horse and yourself better then anyone else **)