Unofficial Hacking and Double Bridles

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Northern Peregrine, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

haha me too, but I don't think "hackies" would LOL Plus Jingles thinks circles are boring :p

As for the gear if you have a hard to fit horse, it is bloody expensive! So I bought a treeless and didn't compete. Rather a comfy horse at home, than a sore one competing!

2. buggalugs

buggalugs Well-known Member

erm i know nationals winners that have huge scars?? they do their best with make-up but its still and anomoly??

3. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

Ok so if its not about prettiness what exactly is it about?

4. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

:eek: :eek: *snort giggle*

5. buggalugs

buggalugs Well-known Member

it is about the prettiest - but the prettiest is not necessarily about scars...

6. MPKG

MPKG Active Member

Clean legs are important to a degree (among everything else in the hacking world), yes there are succesful horses out there that dont have the best legs, they may move amazing or have such a stunning front that a judge forgives it, but B&T is saying that it is a big lumpy scar.

There is a big difference between a splint and a big lumpy scar. :D

I can't beleive how far off topic this is now!

7. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

So lets say the most pretiest, most perfect, most well turned out horse in the competition really stands out infront of the others does a terrible work out....should they win just because their 'pretty'?

8. MPKG

MPKG Active Member

It is 60/40, 60% confirmation and soundness and 40% manners and paces (work).

The judge on the day makes the decission, depends on what the other competition there is I guess :)

9. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

Dont forget that a horse only has to complete 60% of the work out to be judged too.

10. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;)

My girl IS nice, good conformation and I think she is pretty but she is not hacky type. She has a good 9 inches of bone and a big shoulder - perfect for what I want her for, but isn't elegant and refined (read RP type) like a hack. Plus the scar is just the sealing deal, so please don't think I have a dog ugly horse. Oh and she can move not half bad either.

Maybe I should take her to a hack day as a dummy to see what happens...I have a bling browband, would that help my case LOL

oh and hackies have my respect, anything that takes more than half an hour in prep, or spends more on their horses makeup than their own deserve all those pretty sashes!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2009
  11. MPKG

MPKG Active Member

Defintiely didn't think that B&T.

And I absolutely agree with you, beauty IS in the eye of the beholder :D

12. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

haha was all meant toungue in cheek!

That's what puts me off hacking one judge might think your horse is lovely, the other one might not like that type, the judging isn't always fair...

13. MPKG

MPKG Active Member

No comment lol.

If you love hacking you keep doing it no matter how many times you get shot down.

And I have been shot down a fair few times I can guarantee you lol. :D

14. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Yes, a splint is usually due to either over work at a young age or poor conformation whereas a scar is usually due to injury. I know which one I would chose if I was looking to breed on ;)

You can get away with nearly any major fault/scar if the rest of the horse makes up for it in the hack world :D

Oh, and that isn't a dig at all... I hacked for years until I got horses that aren't good enough in looks to make the effort worthwhile ;) Will be back out there next season if everything goes to plan though :D

15. MPKG

MPKG Active Member

But it isn't a breed show, there should be nothing unsightly about the horse, you aren't judging a horse on if you would want to breed with it or not.

If there where two horses on a par and one of them a had a big lumpy scar on its leg I know which one WOULDN'T be winning.

16. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

I didn't say it is a breed show :confused: However I would take a horse with a "disfigurement" caused by injury than one that is likely caused by a weekness in conformation as that is what a splint is. I don't see how a big lumpy splint can be better than a big lumpy scar in your book except that with a scar you don't always have the hair covering it still LOL.

Or are you saying that conformation isn't important in the show ring? Coz I thought it was.

17. himitsu

himitsu Well-known Member

splints arent just from conformation...

18. MPKG

MPKG Active Member

You said and I quote, "I know which one I would wan't to breed with".

I am merely pointing out that if a horse has a big lumpy scar on it's leg and you are competing in the official ring, don't be surprised if you get put down for it.

A lot of splints are very small and a lot of judges probably wouldn't even see it, however a big scar is blatently obvious, so I am not saying it is better too have a splint than a big scar, only that a scar is more noticeable a lot of the time. :D

P.S Glad you will be returning to hacking :)

19. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Yes, I said I know which one I would want to breed with, not breed show LOL. A scar is usually not genetic :p

Oh and the horses I was refering to don't have little spints :p And people not "in the know" about show horse events would probably not bother trying with them, however the two I can think of off the top of my head have won at high level shows (one is a HOY winner) ;)

Himitsu, the only large splints I have seen are from poor conformation or over work at a young age. What other reasons are there for them? Smaller splints may be from knocks and often resolve themself.

20. himitsu

himitsu Well-known Member

Buckley has a WOPPER where he fractured his splint bone playing in the paddock years ago ;)