Unofficial Hacking and Double Bridles

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Northern Peregrine, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Northern Peregrine

Northern Peregrine Well-known Member

I realize I'm once again about to display my ignorance of All -Things- Hacking but I'm just wondering when is it okay to use a double bridle in unofficial hacking? I have just purchased a really nice double which I will, natch, be dying to give an airing to. Dressage is my thing and I'm not quuuiiiiiite up to medium level yet so I can't use it in my chosen discipline, but I am keen to get out and about with my new equipment. My horse is perfectly comfortable with a double even if I am still a bit iffy. I thought hacking would be a good intro for my new excess leather and metal. I know ( or think) some hacking comps don't allow them... but which ones? I went to an Official/ Unofficial Day at Wanneroo a few months back and I was in the over 16.2 unofficial class with only one other horse and this horse was decked out in a double while I rode in a snaffle. The double decker horse won the class ...although The Pez was being a right plonker that day, so the flash gear was not the only reason for our second/last place. Could someone please explain this double bridle phenomenon?

2. Serenity

Serenity Well-known Member

Hi,

From a judges point of view, I dont think it matters whether you ride in a double or a snaffle - as long as the horse goes well, and the rider knows how to use the double bridle properly. This is the same for both official and unofficial. :)

3. OBHH

OBHH Well-known Member

Yes you are permitted to use a double in the unofficial ring, except for the pleasure classes you will be asked for a snaffle or to drop your curb rein. BUT saying that i would rather see a horse go correctly and softly in a snaffle than a horse not being ridden or accepting a double correctly. I DONOT put a horse up the placings JUST because it is in a double.

4. RPS

RPS Well-known Member

Without starting an argument Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, my biggest pet hate for heaps of reasons. Shouldn't be allowed#(, should be the same as dressage. Only allowed at certain levels IMO.

5. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

**) **) **)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2009
  6. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Just because a horse is doing Unofficial Hacking DOES NOT mean it is green and/or uneducated. I don't see a problem with wearing one IF the rider and horse are ready for it. There is no "level" for Unofficial, you could compete at the highest level in dressage and still be an Unofficial hack:)*:)*

On a personal note when I am judging, i couldn't care less what is in the horses mouth, it would in no way influence my decision**)

7. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

And IMO that's the key.
    IF the horse AND the rider are ready which in the case of a lot of horses I've seen out wearing doubles, they're quite obviously not.

The OP said that her horse is perfectly comfortable in a double but she is a bit iffy about it.
    If that's the case, I'd say leave it at home under you're completely comfortable with using it correctly. Hone the skills under the tuition of your instructor first before adding the extra pressure of competing into the equation.

8. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

I rode in a double at an unofficial show and was asked to remove it. It was all very pleasant, no biggie as my horse goes more than lovely in a snaffle...we were just doing what ur thinking of Northern Pergrine, and playing in a new bridle...but not allowed lol *dammit*

9. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Was that because it was a Walk/Trot ring though Wattle ??

10. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Yep, apparently Zaza.

11. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

That's interesting...their is no ruling which says you can't:( Unless the club running the show had their own printed inthe program:confused: I know that IF my horse was educated enough and was working comfortably at home in a double I would most definitely use it at a show.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  12. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

2nd Chance ran that Show....EFA rules.

Really it didn't bother me at all, just adding to this thread that I had been asked to remove it.

13. little_welsh

little_welsh Well-known Member

I thought it was that if it was called a beginners day then doubles arent allowed but if its unoffical then you can use one?

14. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

MOST (not all) Beginners days are now run under unofficial rules:( Each club however can decide whether they allow doubles or not. IMO they shoul dnot be used in walk trot, if you can't canter safely the horse is not ready for a double;) ...and if it is a Beginners day...why would a beginner rider use one or one be used on a "beginner" horse?

In this case the OP's horse sounds ready...so to me the only decision to make is whether the rider is (by her own admission):)

15. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

To be honest I haven't seen many horses being ridden in a double bridle in the unofficial ring BUT like people have said above... if your horse is ready for it and you know how to use one then there's no reason why you shouldn't.

16. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

Well said.

And yes, at the SC show I did ask for it to be removed as it was in the walk/trot ring. Bear looked comfortable etc however we felt that it was best if all horses in that ring were in snaffles.

17. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

From an unofficial competitor's point of view, it does irk a bit to see a horse in unofficial in a double. I kind of think, well, if the horse and rider are comfortable in the double and are going around nicely, then isn't it time to leave the comfort of the unofficial ring and move up to official? Maybe 1-2 shows at unofficial in the double for the experience of competing in it, but seeing the same rider/horse combo in a double at every show would be a bit much.

If you are competing at ARCA Challenge events, then the rules stipulate no doubles (except in Medium+ dressage).

18. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Just because a horse is working comfortably in a double does not make them an Official horse...some horses will never be Official "quality" no matter how well they work:)*

19. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

And that there is the problem with the unofficial hack ring! :) It is for horses that are quality horses not established enough in their work to go official AND "non-quality" horses who's work can range anywhere for brilliant to woeful. God knows what the judge is supposed to choose. LOL The least non-quality horse that goes the best? The most quality horse that is nealry there work-wise?

Surely, as a rider if you are taking home Champion sashes at every unofficial show, you'd consider moving up, wouldn't you?

20. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

I guess that depends what your goals are.
    When Honda and I go hacking we tend to do reasonably well and have come home with our share of champion. But dressage is what I want to do and what I'm starting to concentrate on. Hacking always has been and always will be just a fun day out for me. I have no plans to go official for several reasons... I don't want to spend the money on going official considering it's not what I want to do but also because when I go to a hack day I go with friends for a horsey girly day out. My friends don't hack officially and never will so I won't either.
    On top of that I don't think that Honda is official hack material so I'll stick with a fun day in the unofficial ring with my friends.

But in saying all of that I have no plans to ride him in a double for a long time. Though once we get up to medium level *dreams* in dressage then I would probably bring him out in the double to a couple of hack events to get him used to being out in it before we do it for dressage.