Unhappy mouth

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by seedytoe, Nov 1, 2013.

1. seedytoe

seedytoe Well-known Member

I have a little welsh gelding and am having problems finding bit that he is happy with. Started with a tom thumb snaffle, currently using an eggbut French link. He doesn't seem to have a lot of room in his mouth and am thinking that the jointed bits are taking up too much room. He almost constantly grinds his teeth whilst bridled and bares his teeth too. His tongue is constantly pushing the bit around and although it looks as though he gets his tongue over.. he doesn't. Anyone experienced anything similar? and suggestions please?

2. Fe

Fe Well-known Member

Yep I have one simular, but this one does get his tongue over the bit. I have tried a variety of bits single jointed and double jointed and now I am going to try a straight bar or mullan mouth snaffle. There is one called a "magic snaffle" looks to be in the UK that I am going to buy and try.

3. widgelli

widgelli Well-known Member

Fe, you are heading in the right direction, but as he is inclined to put his tongue over the bit, I would also add one of the many varieties of a dropped noseband.
    The reason that he puts his tongue over the bit, particularly the jointed ones is to avoid the pinching in the barrs at the top of the mouth.
    Over more than fourty years of showing with my four sons and little daughter, as well as riding in competition myself, I used the straight bits with good success, including the bit and bradoons that we used on the hacks.

4. equislave

equislave Well-known Member

Try a peewee bit, they are designed for horses with low pallet(sp) or get their tongue over the bit - they are sweet iron mullen mouth.

5. seedytoe

Has anyone tried any of the Happy Tongue bits?

6. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

I second trying a Peewee, a very useful bit for those that fidget and chomp and get their tongue over the bit.

7. seedytoe

thanks all, will try to get hold of a peewee to try

8. Indigo King

Indigo King New Member

I had a very fussy mare who wasn't happy with any bit in her mouth and was a real fidget! We started using a Baucher and havent looked back since, they are approved for all disciplines EA and PC, there are a few people out there that say it has a lot of poll pressure, but when you break it down and look at it it is actually a very mild bit! The peewee however is not approved for all disciplines and if not fitted correctly can be quite uncomfortable for the horse as it is quite a thin and thin bits believe it or not can be quite harsh!

9. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

My horse was also 'unsettled' in the mouth, and it tried a few different bits with average results, then I came upon a snaffle by chance in one of the horse shops, bought it, and I now call it a wonder bit.

Its a forward hinged eggbutt snaffle.

It was an immediate fix for my horse. No more fussy mouth, and instant happy horse.:)*

10. Sov21

Sov21 Active Member

Just went through the same issues with my green ASH gelding.

After weeks of head tossing and open mouth with no rest at all on the bit and not much to no acceptance of contact, I decided to have him looked at.

Vet came and had a look at his choppers, assessed his mouth, palate, tongue, bridle, bit and saddle fit and even came out to watch him being ridden. Her verdict was that he has such a virgin mouth, he just needs to get used to having a bit in there.
    You name it, I've tried it! And I went for the softest and tastiest bits possible.
    So now we have a PeeWee bit and I must say - the improvement after 6 or 7 rides is quite noticeable. :birthday:

The PeeWee is legal for everything apart from Dressage.

And the other bit I had a bit of success with was the
    JP KORSTEEL CYPRIUM FRENCH EGGBUTT SNAFFLE
    my other horse likes this one too.

GOOD LUCK - I know how frustrating it can be :confused:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  11. Warren

Warren New Member

I'd recommend that you contact Anita at Bit Bank. She will give you great advice and she will let you try before you buy.

12. sambo

sambo Well-known Member

13. seedytoe

Just an update... we are currently using an el cheapo straight bar "rubber" bit and he seems to be going better with that than any other we have so far trialled.