Uneven arena surface

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Pragmatic, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Pragmatic

Pragmatic New Member

I'm at a new agistment and have really amazing facilites, however the flatwork arena is slightly uneven and has patches of sand that get quite boggy to the point of cantering through them, my horse slightly drops in the back end and cant quite cope with the change of surface. Is there anything anyone knows of that I could use to help harden it up?

2. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

Better to groom it with a gate or arena rake or something, otherwise you'll have an uneven hard surface. Draging your arena can become an obsession! so much better when it is done regularly though if it is shared agistment perhaps you can arrange a roster or something?

3. Pragmatic

Pragmatic New Member

Thanks for that TBPA, unfortunately its a mostly grassed arena, with a couple of boggy patches of sand so I'm unable to groom it. I was hoping someone else might have the same problem and be able to pass on some way around it :confused:

4. Gamby

Gamby Well-known Member

I am having the same problem with boggy parts in grass and am in the process of ripping it all up and putting in an arena. With the dry weather I have about 5 months of an unrideable surface so its time for something to change.

Something you could try is putting down some kind of surface in those areas and compacting it down. Ive never really had any success except for resting, watering and waiting for it to firm up with rain.

5. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

We still drag the grassed jump arena at the local riding club after every gymkana or clinic with a chain drag.

Cracker dust and pine chips can help kik have something to root onto to grow and will firm up the area(pine chips can be slippery though). They also put river sand into some of the holes in the one at the riding club and bunded of the area, eventually very effective. No horses on the holes and the grass comes back thats the main problem.