Ulcers again , I think...

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by mum of five, Dec 10, 2007.

1. mum of five

mum of five Well-known Member

UUUMMMMM Danny was'nt looking so crash hot this am........Gave him some Gastrosol and before long he was eating and looking happier. I give him a bale of hay plus a wet down hard feed everyday, he's still skinny.........but the dam things seem to still play up, if he is on 10ml of gastrosol a day he stays well and pots on weight, take him off and in a few weeks his stomach plays up.....gggggggrrrrrrrrrProblem is Gastrosol costs a fortune and ulcer gaurd doesnt seem to help the same. Does anyone else have any hints, Ive read a bit on ulcers before, and hay always comes up but he's getting that and eating mountains of it. i just dont know what to do with him, he is a great horse but I wonder if he'd be better turned out onto bigger acrerage to graze as he pleases.
    Iam really worried about him, mind you he has been really well for about 3mnths so maybe he just needs another dose of gastrosol for a few weeks and then he'll be ok.
    Also does some of these weightlifters help, and what rice would be good for him, too much grain irritates his gut.

2. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe New Member

Have you tried anything else with his ulcers? There are a few products out there, Khonkes GastroCoat comes to mind, that helps with ulcers and they're a daily fed supplement and fairly cost effective.

There are also other natural alternatives such as slipperly elm and chamomile which can both help soothe ulcers and keeping them settled down.

If you can get it, Speedi-Beet is a great feed to bulk and it does help to put condition on them. I use it for my stallion who is really prone to getting upset with his ulcers and 6 months he's still doing well. Of course adlib hay is great because it keeps everything moving in the system and keeps food in his belly constantly.

3. Oldhack77

Oldhack77 Gold Member

oh no terri! hope someone can recommend you something..... sounds terrible :( good luck mate

i can vouch for speedibeet adding condition - alot of condition may i add..... kk went from being lanky to filling out into herself more

4. 3ponies

3ponies Well-known Member

Lucerne hay is spupposed to be better than oaten hay. I can't remember if it's because it produces more mucous lining in the stomach, or because the horse produces more salive when chewing it which weakens the stomach acids.

Also maybe try rice bran or a rice based pellet. The rice oil is supposed to be effective in reducing ulcer discomfort.

Maybe see if John Kohnke has a help line.

5. Sallie

Sallie Well-known Member

Hi MO5

I have just had my filly on Gastrozol for just over a week which has made her problem worse so I have stopped using it as advised from my vet. I'm now stuck with 3 full untouched tubes and 1/2 a used one. If your wanting them for a good price send me a PM and we can talk. I have no further use for them.

I have just bought a product called Neigh-Lox. Made by Kentucky Equine Research so will let you know how i go with that. Details listed below.

Has anyone used this product before??

As an aid in the reduction of excess gastric acid in horses and foals caused by high grain intakes. A palatable, pelleted feed supplement that may relieve some gastrointestinal problems associated with high grain diets. No withholding period prior to race or competition.

Antacids such as Neigh-Lox may be a good preventative tool to neutralise stomach acid, and can offer the horse some symptomatic relief of the discomfort associated with ulcers. Neigh-Lox's concentrated pelleted form allows it to be fed daily mixed with the normal grain ration, or given just prior to work. It has been shown to neutralize gastric acid as well as to protect and preserve the stomach lining from continuous overexposure to gastric acid. The product is safe for use in horses from foals and weanlings to performance horses and breeding stock. Unlike other agents, there is no need to withhold use of Neigh Lox prior to racing. Preventative maintenance is considerably less expensive than the drugs used to cure the ulcers once they have occurred.

Feeding Directions:

Young Growing Horses (6 -12 months of age): Add 1 scoop to each grain meal. Do not exceed a total daily intake of 4 scoops.
    Yearlings (12 - 24 months of age): Add 2 scoops to each grain meal. Do not exceed a total daily intake of 8 scoops.
    Horses in training: Add 2 scoops to each grain meal. Do not exceed a total daily intake of 8 scoops.
    Neigh-Lox contains:

Ground wheat
    Steamrolled Oats
    Dihydroxy-aluminium sodium carbonate (DASC)
    Aluminium phosphate
    Soybean oil
    Dicalcium phosphate
    Calcium carbonate
    2.26kg is a trial pack.

6. Oldhack77

Oldhack77 Gold Member

oh no k! :( it didnt work after all of that :( :(

7. Sallie

Sallie Well-known Member

Guess you have not seen her bottom then??? Grrr... not happy Jan . Was a little concered when the vet gave me the box of 5 as i thought what would happen if the product was not suitable.....

8. Oldhack77

Oldhack77 Gold Member

oh no k!!! they were not cheap either!!! :(

9. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Whey powder or Denkavite are also meant to be good as daily supplements.

Oh, and Sallie, won't your vet take them back and refund if they are unused?? Both vets I use will.

10. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

Hi Mo5, has the ulceration problem been confirmed by scoping?? I assume so. In that case it is best to use the Gastrozol for the recommended course which will allow the ulcer to heal and then find management practices to try and keep it at bay. Compared to other treatments this is a very good one and for its effectiveness is cost effective. Like the others have said, send JK an email for a good fact sheet.
    If he hasnt been scoped, then it might be an option because it may not be ulcers and at least then you could direct your funds into other treatment options for the symptoms.
    Good luck!! :) RR

11. Sweet Euphoria

Sweet Euphoria Well-known Member

Hi MO5!
    Get yourself some Carafate from the healthfood store. The tablets you either crush and feed dry in the hard feed or can crush and mix with some warm water before dampening down the feed with it.
    Not too sure how much it costs from the shops, i get mine from work.(vet clinic)
    I also feed Khonke's gastrocoat alternatively, which is awesome stuff and the horse loves it :)

12. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

RR, a lot of vets just put horses on Gastrazol without scoping to see if it works or not, as it is cheaper to do that (and isn't meant to be harmful) than it is to scope :p However, if it didn't help I would scope...

13. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

I know, but considering the expense of treatment, especially if it seems to be an ongoing problem, actually confirming the presence of ulcers so that your money is being spent wisely is best practice!