U Bolts on the float! Warning!

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by teddy2shoes, Apr 16, 2012.

1. teddy2shoes

teddy2shoes Well-known Member

We nearly had a severe accident last week when one of the U bolts snapped and let the wheel fly back into the wheel arch. The tyre shredded, the rear end of the float was trashed on one side and buckled and the float and car could easily have flipped over! We had two big horses on and were travelling at 90kph.

Apparently these bolts which hold the springs to the axle work loose often and will fatigue and break if not checked very regularly and replaced.

Please go out and get the U bolts checked on your float asap if it's not something that you are already aware of. Ours is only 5 years old and always well serviced!

2. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

teddy I had the same thing happen to me on the way to Waroona show last year :( A friend had gone thru Mundijong too fast with the empty float, at that lil S bend over the railway line and almost flipped the float :eek: That, IMO, broke away a U bolt on one of the axels. The next time I used the float (on the way to Waroona Show), I smelled smoke at an intersection. I'd been on tight backroads, driving about 60km/hr with a shetland a small welshX pony....so bugger-all weight. The axle had dislodged and two tyres rubbing against each other - one tyre on the other side shredded. I believe I was super-lucky to have had all new tyres - so they were still rubbing into the "meat" of the rubber :D

It does pay to check the underneath of the float every now and again :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  3. teddy2shoes

You can only do what you are advised really until you have something happen like this eh!
    The mechanic said we should be checking the tightness before every trip! I'd never even heard of a U bolt until last Monday!

I had 4 new tyres on only a week before too. The bolt snapped and the spring just fell to the ground taking the wheel with it!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  4. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

Geez, thats scary.

5. Mater

Mater Well-known Member

I think everyone who tows a float should know how to do basic checks. U-bolts, wheel bearings, wheel nut tightness etc. If you don't know how, ask someone to show you.

6. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

gees ! I'm glad your ok - and thanks for the heads up

Cheers
    Lee

7. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

very scary, glad to read you all are ok!!!

8. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

Just wondering what make of float that this happened too? PM if you dont want to say on here, I would just be interested to know..

9. teddy2shoes

Our float is made by the Albany prison. They do a fantastic job as anyone knows who has ever had one built and we've never had any trouble whatsoever. I think that it is something we all need to be aware of on all floats as they all have the same fixture under the chasis and they can all work loose and rub against the axle.

10. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

Thanks T2S, i didn't know the prison made floats! Are they marketed under a brand name or do you just ring the prison to enquire? Would you mind posting a pic? Sort of off topic but just interested as I have a friend seeking a new float.

Yes, totally agree the underneath of floats should be checked on a regular basis. If anyone is seeking servicing or repairs to floats try paid advertiser HD&L Mechanical in Jandakot ;)

So glad you had a good outcome from what could have been very serious, phew!

11. Floggadog

Floggadog Guest

Glad you all came out of the U bolt failure without injury T2S.
    I asked my Husband about my float and he said it has torsion bars instead of leaf springs. So there are no U bolts to fail.

Faxie - you'll find a pic of ASHlovers Albany Prison float in this thread. There is another prison float on the following page but it does not say which prison made it. :)

http://www.stockyard.net/vbulletin/open-discussions/63066-show-us-your-float-3.html