two questions ??

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by banjo, Aug 8, 2013.

1. banjo

banjo Well-known Member

no1 - have a 25yr old stb gelding who has cancer, he dropped condition about 6 months back and i put him on two feeds a day + hay + pasture. he doesn't seem interested in eating a great deal and i want to feed something that is fattening but not a large amount as he just walks away. currently he gets

morning - 1 kilo (dry) crushed lupins soaked
    1/2 kilo crushed oats (not soaked as he wont eat them that way)
    1/2 TR museli
    1 cup FFS

night - 1 1/2 kilo lupins
    cell vital mins + salt
    scoop of lucerne and chaff plus 3-4 bis wheaten hay

he is looking ok on this but not as he was, used to be a very good doer and ate everything now he eats some and walks away... so any ideas would be good, i know i could be hes just getting old and his cancer is taking over but i would like to get abit more on him.. hes also had his teeth done in april so all good there.

no2 - have a very large andyx 8yr old who is always on a diet. he gets 1-2 bics of hay at night locked in a yard with chaff, cell vital mins, salt, celery seeds (for injury) and small dipper of sweetbulk to get it something. but he is the biggest pig and eats everything in sight but has been turning up his nose at his feed. so wanted to know if there was something i can feed to bulk out his chaff thats not fattening..

cheers sorry for the long post..:dry:

2. Bella85

Bella85 New Member

You CANNOT go past Mitavite Gumnuts for older horses! I would be very surprised if your older horse did not like/ eat these. My old girl loved them and a girlfriend with a 26yo QH mare has just started her on them as she was getting a bit fussy with her feed and the Gumnuts have made all the difference. They clean them up and put condition on. Rice Pollard would also be something you could feed to help put condition on.
    Hope this helps!

3. Jemima

Jemima Active Member

One of my friends gives her old tb gelding BioMare, he loves it and does very well on it :) Might be worth a try too.

4. banjo

banjo Well-known Member

hi bella85 he hates gumnuts!!!! he was on them but was not putting on weight and not eating his diners up so have stopped them about 6 months ago..

thanks jemima will have alook at them

5. Erika Roberts

Erika Roberts Active Member

My old boy didn't do well on gumnuts either!
    I'd give mitavite tru care a go! My horse has stacked on the weight since starting him on just one cup twice a day.
    He's also on a cup of crushed lupins twice a day, Lucerne and chaff and hay!

Give tru care a go! It's great stuff, designed for he older horses :)

6. banjo

banjo Well-known Member

thanks for the feed back cheers will have alook at the feed store when i'm there next thanks

7. Our old , coming on 26yo mare, is doing very well on once a day feed of soaked lupins and on a home grown oaten hay bale 24/7. We rug her for winter, otherwise she has no special treatment. You would't tell that she is older than 16yo by looking at her, but grey hairs all over her face and body give her age away to those who are more observant.
    We prefer to winter our oldies together, to keep a closer eye on them. Winters are the hardest for them especally if they are sick and weak.

8. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

As said, hes on mainly lupins but not eating up.
    Can be hard when they are fussy as well.
    Id definitely try a pellet, something simple like grower weaner, and mix rice bran with it. Cut down the chaff, or cut out. Keep muesli. Add half cup oil gradually.

Our 32yo stb gets, 2 cups of each soaked, copra, maxisoy, extruded corn, barley and grower weaner plus 1L dry weetbix and handful chaff. He cant eat hay.

For the fatty a handful lupins or lucerne or maxisoy?

9. theherd22

theherd22 New Member

A person I jjow also has a horse with cancer and she has been feeding weetbix- regular old weetbix- and her horse has done really well on them.

Just a thought :p

10. CTCT

CTCT New Member

Oil? If he's fussy/slow, oil adds calories without adding bulk.

11. jess4dressage

jess4dressage New Member

have you tried adding molasses or something to it??? Will he eat whole oats soaked??

12. banjo

banjo Well-known Member

well seems hes not keen on the FFS so have taken that out and next time i'm at the feedstore next week will get some oil..

what type is best and how much would you feed??

thanks for your replies i appreciate it

13. maxntaz

maxntaz Well-known Member

You know my "fatty" Taz banjo! Well he gets white chaff with minerals and to give him something extra he gets kind n cool. Its cheap and what i call a "nothing feed", to me its just a filler.

When he needs more energy (for riding etc) he gets oil (black and gold vege oil - its cheap).

He is actually looking very good at the moment (can see ribs, just!!) and he is in a lot more work now, so he does get some lucerne and half a cup of flaked barley added to that where required, but over all i keep it very plain and simple.

14. maxntaz

maxntaz Well-known Member

Oh and Hygain Zero is excellent for fatties. Taz loved it, but i was paying $38 a bag. So I stopped getting it. Kind n Cool is only $19 per bag down here LOL. But Taz much prefers the taste of Zero.

For your old guy, if he is getting plenty of hay and pasture, I wouldnt bother feeding him chaff with his feeds at all. I would stick to the grains/pellets (what ever you go with). Pitty about the FFS, I have Flynn on it, he loves the stuff and its been great for him. The Khonke's engergy gold Oil might be an option for this guy as it has garlic in it (if he likes garlic), otherwise just plain old b & g vege oil is just as good.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013