Two more Qld horses contract Hendra

Discussion in 'News Items' started by dirtbug, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Trojane

Trojane Well-known Member

This is a puzzle...
    Have they just drafted fresh guidelines - which now state they have to kill the horse?
    Or - they have just read the existing guidelines - and whoops! - forgot to kill the horse?
    Or - had tried to kill the horse, but the owner had resisted successfully till now?
    Or - had been expecting the horse would die, so let it suffer as nature took its course and now have the unpopular and maybe expensive task of killing the horse themselves and getting sued?
    Or - .....................................................(please insert theory of choice).

Will they exterminate infected people too???

2. smash

smash Well-known Member

lol trojane
    now they want to follow procedures for emergancy diseases LOL
    we have not heard anything more regarding the two in hospital, other than they are still in there. not good, they have been hospitalised for over a month now, and still no word on what is happening.
    no word either on the autopsy the DPI did on that horse either. so god knows what they are doing.
    my stick my head back in the sand.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2008
  3. Talkingshell

Talkingshell Well-known Member

That's what I have been doing till I saw the newsflash about having to put the recovered horse PTS....oh dear, yes going back to sticking my head in the sand!

4. smash

smash Well-known Member

yeah shell, spend ALL THAT MONEY to help the horse recover, and when it does make a recovery, now the DPI want to shoot it.
    for god sakes, what if the humans survive, are they going to shoot them too???
    bloody hell, what is this world comming to.
    how many more idiots are the going to keep promoting in government departments???
    feel sorry for the owner of that horse, he was charged a fortune, as the horse was in quarrintine, and all the drugs and tests that he had to pay to keep his horse alive. now that the horse made it, the DPI want to shoot it.
    so far the owner has said no way, now he has till tomorrow to have the horse PTS or he goes to jail for a year.
    the world is going nuts
    firmly sticking my head back in the sand.

5. jodles

jodles Well-known Member

The lady I know has been told that after this next set of tests and if her boy is clear he can go home..............all very excited :)

Smash.............all is well and I have taken your advice and have spent a week just playing and feeling and enjoying riding :) no big movement or expectations and have put myself as trainer like you said ta x

Well this may sound harsh but if I was the horse I would much rather be put down than sold for research:eek: imagine the sample taking?????

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  6. smash

smash Well-known Member

glad your friends horse is going ok jodles.
    glad you are going good with your gorgeous boy too.
    well the two in hospital are seriously ill, so thats not good.
    the guy has until 5pm today to put the horse down or face a $60,000 fine or one year in jail.
    sorry i just dont get it, why save the horse in the first place ? if you are only going to put it down ???
    would definately want it to go to research, as it could have the link to beat this virus.
    this horse could save many horses in the future, as what if it never has a relapse? what if the procedure the did with this horse could save hundreds later on?. shit, you dont kill something, just because it suvived, you at least study it so you can find out how it suvived.
    if they find the link, it could SAVE humans.
    sorry, just cant understand why they just want to kill, the ONLY HORSE to EVER suvive this virus.
    well they winge that they dont know enough about this virus to treat it, well hear is their chance, and they want to kill it instead.
    GGGrrrrrrrrrrr

7. Trojane

Hi Smash & all Batlanders!! Got my sticky fingers on an update... it explains a lot. If only they would publicize this stuff we wouldn't need to be head banging trying to figure!!

1. Re the 3 lost horses...these showed hendra-type symptoms but were not included in the count because of inadequate samples (only blood assays available and others had been discarded) and pre-existing conditions in two of them. The results of these limited samples by PCR assay were negative "but this result is not regarded as conclusive by the testing laboratory because of the sub-optimal sample". Also no contact horse from property of origin was found to be infected. "On the basis of these investigations, the three horses are regarded as improbable caes".

So there you have it - in this case of doubt the DPI is an optimist.

2. Re the recovered but sero-positive horse..."Sero-positive horses have been assessed by an expert HeV Working Group to be an ongoing but unquantifiable risk of recrudescence with or without virus shedding in the future. Definite information is not available from known HeV scientific research but research with Nipah virus shows that recrudscence occurs and has been recorded in around about 10 percent of cases."

So in this case of doubt the DPI is a pessimist.

Perhaps I will go on banging my head...

8. smash

smash Well-known Member

*head desk head desk head desk*

what??, what was that you said

*head desk head desk head desk*

he he he

9. Trojane

Please STOP Smash...or you'll end up marshmallow on top too (kidding!!:D )

IF you can face it, here's the - CVO Update Aug 8th - from where the info came. It's worth a read. Of course may be "old news" by now. Go to the update link:
    EVA QUEENSLAND HENDRA UPDATE

10. smash

smash Well-known Member

all i can say tojane is
    "thank god that link didnt work for me"
    he he he
    i dont think i could handle any more DPI bullshyt
    *digs a bigger whole in the sand so my head will fit*
    kind of swollen after all the head banging LOL

11. Trojane

Oh dear - don't links work in Batland? Must be all that bat#!*t on the lines!!!

PM me if you want it sent to an email address. :D

poor poor head...hope the pain's abated!!!

12. wormwatch

wormwatch Active Member

I just want to apologise publically and unreservedly for this post. Whilst it is true, I obviously typed it in a hurry and it came across very condescending and rude and extremely smarty-pants which was not my intention.

I can understand that you were/are worried about what is a very troubling situation in Queensland. Hendra virus and Australian bat lyssavirus could be confused in that they have the same host (bats) and are potentially very dangerous for humans, but they are not closely related and seem to behave differently.

I just hope that the infected people get better soon.

13. smash

smash Well-known Member

doesnt look like it wormwatch
    they are now both seriously ill.
    well the horse has been issued his death sentance at 9am tomorrow, so there goes any chance to study the virus.
    bloody politics.
    grrrrr

14. smash

smash Well-known Member

the horse is dead now, so now we will have now way of working out how or why it suvived.
    bloody bastards
    GGGGRRRRRRRRR

15. Trojane

Very sad news - fear rules. Pity the horse had to suffer for nothing. Really feel for those still critically ill and their families.

Future direction (until a vaccine available) must be keeping bats away from horses...how I'm not sure - covered water troughs? Can't do much about the pasture areas and you don't want to go chopping all trees out!

16. Trojane

That's very good of you Wormwatch but not necessary - to quote Orac:

"A statement of fact cannot be insolent."

I was getting totally hysterical and needed a faceslap. :D

17. jodles

jodles Well-known Member

Dont understand it at all :( after thinking about my post it could have been the one chance to understand the virus, The thing that makes me upset is that as the horses owner there should have been some rights. There could have been a way to keep the horse. It is very heated on the dressage site as well about the euthanasing of the recovered horse

18. Trojane

Hi Jodles - the "HeV Working Group" (whoever that may be) apparently fear hendra may behave like nipah virus and relapse in 10% of recovered horses. I guess they don't want to let the horse go home then infect people at some later unknown date, if it starts virus shedding. You'd think if the horse was useful to research they would keep it alive - but there would always be a risk to its handlers and perhaps the DPI doesn't want to get sued?

Of course the bats are still free to infect where and when they please! I must say it's hard as want to conserve our wildlife too. A vaccine would help but seems it's not commercially viable as yet. A few more victims and maybe they'll change their minds!

19. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Active Member

Hendra equine Virus Working Group? I don't know. Couldn't find anything on the Qld DPI website. All very secretive. Maybe they're a local offshoot of the Illuminati?

20. jodles

jodles Well-known Member

................and they hang out in their Bat cave :)

Trojane agree that there would be risks as said on the SE qld site I go on......would you want the horse next to your property etc. Damn shame the horse had to go through the illness in the first place. Hate bats.......their poo does so much damage to cars and my lovely cream patio tiles*#)