Two more Qld horses contract Hendra

Discussion in 'News Items' started by dirtbug, Jul 24, 2008.

1. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

2. jodles

jodles Well-known Member

try being 3/4 hour away :(

3. Trojane

Trojane Well-known Member

4. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

that would be seriously scary jodles esp with how the fruitbat flys around :(

5. Trojane

Jodles - you just have to stop them peeing, pooping, giving birth and having sex overhead. Simple really. Or move west. :D

6. smash

smash Well-known Member

how you going jodles?
    the DPI need to stop lying
    redlands vet = 9 dead horses not 6
    the other infected property = 4 dead horses not 2
    hope all is well for you jodles.
    cheers

7. smash

smash Well-known Member

ok, i have cut and pasted from various articals, to show you the inconsistancies
    Redland vets
    It is most likely that the first horse diagnosed on the 26th (of June) was what we call the index case - or the case where it originated - which was at Redlands...but we'll probably never know for sure."

Mr Horan said three horses had died at the Redlands clinic prior to the July 7 outbreak - a mare on June 8, a gelding on June 17 and a stallion on June 24.
    They had suffered neurological symptoms like those associated with Hendra, but were not included in the Department of Primary Industries' situation report, he said.
    Mr Horan said the mare that died on June 8 came from a property with "thousands of bats in the vicinity", while the other two horses had been successfully treated at the clinic, only to fall ill again on returning home.

"Why has it taken your department up to eight days to test companion horses from which these horses came?" he said.

"For infection control and animal welfare reasons, Biosecurity Queensland will euthanize the latest horse to become infected at Redlands this afternoon, taking the number of horses to die from Hendra virus since July to six.

“The department's chief veterinary officer Dr Ron Glanville told the hearing the Redlands clinic outbreak was thoroughly investigated, including the horses that died in June.

"It's still unclear as to whether those horses were actual cases of Hendra virus, in fact, our current thinking is that they probably were not," Dr Glanville said.

"We can't rule them out completely, but the most likely scenario is the horse that died on the 26th of June was the index case ... the first case."

Proserpine (Cannon Vale) property
    A third horse diagnosed with the virus died last week.

"One was put down last night and a post mortem will be conducted, but it could be at least tomorrow before we get any results," Dr Glanville told brisbanetimes.com.au this morning.

It is believed a fourth horse at the same property died recently, which experts suspected may also have been the result of Hendra.

However, a decision was made not to exhume the horse's body for scientific tests.

This takes the latest number of horses known to be infected with the rare virus since July to seven, with two known cases at Proserpine (Cannon Vale) and five at Redlands.

now who else is scared at there calculations?
    boy talk about omitting information to suit themselves, the DPI have a lot to answer for there handling and investigation.
    DPI = dicks policing idiots
    how on earth are those that are close to this situation ever supose to feel safe????

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  8. Talkingshell

Talkingshell Well-known Member

I too am about 3/4 hour away from Redlands Veterinary practice.

I am trying to bury my head in the ground....don't want to know what's going on!:(

9. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

typical politics as me dad would say...

very very sad people need to know the truth :(

10. Trojane

Dirtbug said:
    "Never ascribe to malice, that which can be explained by incompetence." (Napoleon Bonaparte)

In other words - commonplace slackness, bumbling and idiocy may explain the situation as well as any conspiracy theory.:D

11. smash

smash Well-known Member

has anyone heard anything about the 2 people that contracted the hendra virus?
    they seemed to go into hospital, and thats it, nothing really has been said about them, other than they were admitted to hospital.
    weird
    i hope they are ok?

12. Trojane

Hi Smash

From July 18, ABC radio interview:
    Queensland Health's Dr Brad McCall said:
    So that was from over a week ago... we can only presume they are still alive????

Same interview, Dr James Gilkerson from the Equine Veterinarians' Association said
    “I think that veterinary research in Australia in general is woefully underfunded, particularly in the horse area. Hendra is particularly important because it's one of the few diseases of horses that are going to infect people, right, and have caused deaths in the past.”

Lets hope someone was listening.

13. jodles

jodles Well-known Member

My friend cant visit her horse there for another 4 weeks :( . Without sounding a touch cynical.................We had the same with EI suddenly more horses/properties were released that had had EI for ages that no one was told about. This is just the same. We had fruit bats in PNG nasty dirty little devils but at least they got eaten so their numbers were not too high :)

14. Talkingshell

Talkingshell Well-known Member

No, haven't heard anything more about those poor 2 humans that were positive to this dreaded virus....I hope they are well on the road to recovery!

That's media for you who would go great lengths to keep things on the lid.#(

15. smash

smash Well-known Member

thanks trojane, yeah thats the last report i found to LOL
    you would think after a week of being "well" they would release they hey?
    i feel so sorry for your friend who has her horse there jodles.
    i hope they are not making her pay for him to be there?
    seems everything has gone silent, as the final results should of been back for everyone by now, but nothing is being said anywhere.
    anyone else feel like they are mushrooms
    locked in a dark pkace and feed on bullshyte?
    mmmmmmmmm

16. Trojane

Smash said:
    Perhaps they don't like what they found and they're figuring out what not to say??

17. smash

smash Well-known Member

LOL LOL LOL trojane
    most likely
    he he he

18. smash

smash Well-known Member

Janelle Miles
    August 02, 2008 12:00am

TWO Redlands veterinary workers in a Brisbane hospital with the potentially deadly Hendra virus are believed to be seriously ill and deteriorating.

Veterinarian Ben Cunneen and a senior nurse from the Redlands Veterinary Clinic remain in the Princess Alexandra Hospital after being admitted two weeks ago.

The physician treating the pair last night asked that the "families' privacy be respected at this time".

Clinic owner David Lovell said he was "very concerned" about the plight of his employees.

"They are still in hospital and that has to be very much a worry," he said.

"Plenty of our staff members have been in there on a fairly regular basis."

Two Queensland properties remain under quarantine after separate outbreaks of the Hendra virus in horses last month.

Four horses at the Redlands clinic have died. Another two on a property at Proserpine in the state's north also are dead.

About 12 people in contact with the Redlands clinic will have a third round of blood tests later this month to clear them of the virus, which killed horse trainer Vic Rail, 49, in 1994.

A strapper who worked at Mr Rail's Hendra stables developed symptoms but recovered and Mackay sugarcane farmer Mark Preston, 35, died after contracting the infection in 1995.

The Hendra virus, named after the Brisbane suburb where it first emerged, is transmitted to horses by fruit bats.

Infectious diseases expert John MacKenzie, of Perth's Curtin University, said only people who had close contact with infected horses were at risk of contracting it but the virus was not easily transmitted from horse to human.

"We've got no real proof but we suspect when people get infected it's probably through a cut or abrasion which comes into contact with horse blood or nasal discharge," Professor Mackenzie said.

"There is no major risk to human health other than to people in direct close contact with the horses.

"The general public aren't likely to come in contact with it. There's no real danger."

Professor MacKenzie said no cases of human-to-human transmission had been recorded.

Although the virus is carried by fruit bats, he said there had been no cases of bats directly infecting humans.

19. pso

pso Gold Member

Oh, thats sad...I had hoped no news was good news..
    *puts head back in sand*

Given how 'difficult' it is for humans to contract....Seems interesting that so many have got it....I'm sure they didnt ALL have cuts that came into contact with horse?

Another damn cover up hey....#(

I really feel for all of you Qlders....:(

20. Trojane

Smash said:
    It would be wise to add "so far" to that. These expert pronouncements are based on a small number of cases of a recently known disease. They are writing the textbook as they speak.

And thanks for update - someone said they'd heard on the radio they were "doing well" !!!???

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008