Tumeric

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by PetaBizz, Jul 23, 2013.

1. PetaBizz

PetaBizz Well-known Member

I have been advised that tumeric would be a fantastic additive to my horses feed. Is anyone using tumeric, how much are you feeding and what benefits have you seen? Thanks in advance :)

2. Macchiato

Macchiato Well-known Member

I was advised to give it a try. I just started using it a couple of days ago.

3. PetaBizz

Bit early to tell yet then?

4. nklpark

nklpark Well-known Member

I'm trying it on a chestnut to make him darker, no result yet after 4weeks, i was told it was a no no for palominos unless you liked the smutty look :D a friend tried it on her pale pally who never smutted on any other feeds but ended up with lots of smuts spots

5. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Isnt it an anti-inflammatory? I know OH was recommended it by a herbalist for that purpose.

6. nklpark

nklpark Well-known Member

yep and i saw a thing on tv a couple of weeks ago about it improving memory in people with Alzheimer's

7. PetaBizz

My pally doesnt have the smut gene so thinking I may give it a go?? Plus he is extremely itchy with lumps and bumps so might help that as well. Who stocks it in bulk?

8. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

I'll be interested to see everyone's results - if there are any LOL :p
    I have a chestnut I was thinking of trying it on but first I wanted to see if I could find any info on the long term effects of feeding it. ';'

9. K85

K85 New Member

PetaBizz try an indian food shop, there are a couple around the Osborne Park area if your stockfeeders don't have it. I buy my paprika from there and I can usually get it in a 5kg bag and is much cheaper than the supermarkets.

10. crave

crave Well-known Member

Buy it on line ( cant mention business names, sorry) $13/kg

11. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

LOL
    Maybe I should give it to my weanling for his memory? He's constantly doing stupid stuff, I swear he should have learnt by now :p

12. banjo

banjo Well-known Member

how much would you feed am interested in the anti flam side of it for the oldies who are on devils claw at the moment. cheers

13. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Tumeric is high in anti-oxidants, and does have mild anti-inflammtory properties. However, you would have to feed lots of it to a horse to see any real benefits, and then palatability and cost become issues. :unsure:

The best anti-inflammatory for oldies is Pentosan. :)*

Feeding Devils Claw anything more than short term causes gastric ulcers so do be careful.

14. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

Caroline - do you know of any long-term side effects, or risks in general with feeding tumeric? :)

15. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

There are none with tumeric. Just the hip pocket hurt.:)*

16. KKKiroo

KKKiroo Well-known Member

I got some from a health food store for $7/kg - it was on special.