'Tucking Up' Query.

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Go the Distance, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

My horse gets tucked up if we travel/camp anywhere. He usually takes a few hours to settle and it goes when he has had a drink and I have let him 'walk it out'.

It even occurs when we go to my Dad's which is only an hour and a half away and then takes a few hours to go when he is in a paddock with horses he is comfortable with. I have read on one of Dr Kohnke's articles it can be caused by dehydration. I feel his is due to stress at times. What do other people do to prevent it? I hate fronting up to vet check with a tucked up horse.

2. KPF

KPF Well-known Member

stress and dehydration can go hand in hand, by offering your horse a drink either half way through the journey or making sure he does drink plenty when you arrive at your destination will help alot. Some horses don't like drinking other sourses of water other than whats in their home paddock, so sometimes its good to take some of your own water with you.

Products like Recharge and Applelyte cna also help to flavour the water which might encourage him to drink and you can also try syringing a small amoutn over the tongue when you pop him on the float and then if he likes it put some in his water when he gets off the float and offer him a drink, this will help.

Humidilyte (I think that's what it's called?) is another.

It may also be that he just needs more float rides to get used to the travelling and learn not to stress.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  3. Lakota

Lakota Well-known Member

Protexin - I swear by this stuff.
    Has definitely worked wonders on my TB who used to get tucked up at events and the days following it.

4. Go the Distance

Thanks KPF he is a really seasoned traveller and will drink anywhere/anyhow after being used for trekking and endurance for a few years.

I will try and offer him maybe a really wet feed in the float halfway trough our trip to get some fluid into him. He absolutely hates Recharge with a passion. I tend to use Humidimix powder if I want to try and get extra electrolytes into him.

Lakota how do you use the protexin in this situation?

5. Coda Cowgirl

Coda Cowgirl Well-known Member

try some 'rebound' paste...its much like protextin but easier to use about $10 a tube and that gives you three doses.

6. Lakota

Lakota Well-known Member

7. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Yep, it sounds like he gets a tad stressed/anxious/claustrophobic in the float, and this commonly leads to that tucked up look. Some horses pass lots and lots of sloopy poo's in stressy situations and this adds to the problem.:}

Feed him some hay an hour prior to travelling, as the hay attracts and holds water in the gut, and helps prevent the greyhound look. Even lucerne is fine and the added Ca and Mg buffer gut acid. Speedi-Beet is actually useful to feed in this situation; prior, during or after travel. Any roughage is great as it holds water longer! **)

Even try slightly increasing his electrolytes for 2 days prior to travel to help ensure he is drinking enough.:)*:))

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  8. Go the Distance

Thanks Caroline. You are on the money with the sloppy poo. When he is stressed he poo's heaps of runny poo. I will try what you have suggested. He is a real guts with food so I can try the really wet feeds in the float, wet hay before and after.

He is on humidimix so I will very slightly up that two days beforehand.

9. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

I use recharge before I float, I syringe about 40ml down their throats :) They usually get a workdown at a show so offer a molassus drink after workdown. 9/10 they always drink (I bring water from home) I use natural yogurt everyday and protexin the day before and show day as my boy suffers anxiety due to floating and shows :)