Trying to run back to the paddock

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Rose Ride, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Rose Ride

Rose Ride New Member

I have taken a new horse on lease and where ever we are riding he will try and bolt or side step towards his paddock/gate of arena. I understand he wants to go back to his 'time out area' but was wondering does anyone have any suggestions? I have been riding him in the paddock because I know this is his safe zone, but I am now taking him out of that 'safe zone' and work.

2. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

If he tried running to the gate I'd kick him in the guts and make him think it was your decision to go over there, then work the fudge out of him over there. After about 5 solid minutes of hard work let him walk/trot calmly away from the gate. If he does it again, work him hard over there again..

Eventually he should learn that going to the gate is hard work and its easier just to stay where hes put.

3. Rose Ride

Rose Ride New Member

I make him do the hip over cue for a while and scream at him pretty much when he attempts to get to the gate! He didnt try it yesterday, was very happy with that. Hopefully this will improve.

4. info on archie

info on archie Well-known Member

For majority of horses, their paddock is home, also known as the 'safe zone',
    perhaps he doesn't feel confident under your leadership so wants to head back to where he feels safe and secure.

I personally would start from the ground, getting respect and leadership. Hand walk him, back up, yielding (almost parelli 7 games sort of stuff), and he may learn to trust you and feel safe and confident under your guidance **)

All the best :)

5. krayzee

krayzee New Member

That horse is rude, and you are not experienced enough to deal with it. Find something else.