Trees & Plants that can kill horses

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Sharaway, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Sharaway

Sharaway Well-known Member

In light of the horses that have died over east I thought I would post some research that I have done on what plants are toxic to horses, as it looks like these horses where killed as the result of Cyanide Poisoning, from the Aus Native wild peach, other wise known as the Quandong.

Cyanide poisoning results in hypoxia (deficiency of oxygen reaching the tissues). The first symptoms appear within a few minutes following consumption of plant material. Affected animals exhibit excitement, incoordination, convulsions, rapid and labored breathing, bloating, and coma. Death can occur in less than an hour due to internal asphyxiation

Treatment:
    General: remove from source
    Specific: sodium nitrite at 10 to 20 mg/kg with 500 mg/kg sodium thiosulfate as needed. The treatment is directed at breaking the cyanide ? cytochrome bond with the nitrite forming methemoglobin. Methemoglobin has a greater affinity for cyanide than does cytochrome oxidase, so it strips cyanide from the enzyme. The thiosulfate then reacts with the cyanide via the enzyme rhodanase forming thiocyanate which is readily excreted in the urine.

But as there usually dead with in the hour of eating the stuff, saving them is near impossible :(

This article is not Aus based but still interesting to read Prussic Acid Poisoning

http://www.equineer.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Trees-that-Kill.pdf

This is probably the best guide I have found..
    http://www.qldhorsecouncil.com/QHC ...ants Poisonous to Horses Aust field guide.pdf

You can also buy a hard copy of this https://rirdc.infoservices.com.au/items/06-048

General Garden plants that are toxic, and not just to horses
    http://www.agric.wa.gov.au/objtwr/imported_assets/content/hort/flor/flodpw/harmfulplants.pdf

A Data base for toxic weeds that horse links for Cats, Dogs, Horses, Humans,
    Pigs, Poultry, Ruminants Australian Weeds and Livestock: Data

Weed Identification tool, this is fantastic Weeds Australia - Weed Identification

2. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

thanks for that info sharaway..I'll read it when I have 10 to do so. ;)

Can or have you listed WA ones?

Cheers
    Lee

3. Floggadog

Floggadog Guest

Adding to this a local plant that I lost 2 Ewe hoggest to last week. It will kill any stock that graze it & are then put under stress afterwards. We call our local plant Heart-Leaf poison.
    We pull it up on one small part of our farm about this time every year & it is known to grow along the roadverges & native bush.

Box poisoning is the term sometimes used for poisoning by any one of over 30 species of
    Gastrolobium and Oxylobium, most of which occur in the south-west of WA. The plants
    contain the highly toxic poison, fluoroacetate (‘1080’), and may cause deaths at any time of
    year; however the succulent growth that appears after summer rain is particularly attractive
    to stock. Farmers should familiarise themselves with the toxic species that occur in their
    area. In the eastern wheatbelt the plants usually responsible for “box poisoning” include Box
    Poison and Narrow Leaf Poison while York Road and Box Poison are common in western
    districts. Prickly Poison is usually low in toxin, but deaths have been seen with new growth in
    summer. Stirling Range Poison and Heartleaf Poison are common species in southern and
    western areas of the state.

When poisoning occurs in summer it often follows rain, maybe because of the appearance of
    fresh new shoots on the shrubs or because the sheep are hungry and seeking roughage.
    Poisoned sheep die quickly and with little struggling. Their carcasses putrefy rapidly and
    there is often bloody froth at the nostrils. If poison is suspected do not hustle the sheep off
    the paddock as this may precipitate more deaths.

4. Floggadog

Floggadog Guest

5. Sharaway

6. sil

sil Gold Member

Here's a few I know we had to not use when looking for trees for our laneways:

Many fruit trees like ornamental pears
    Avocado trees
    Black walnut trees
    Anything maple
    Oak trees

All the above can have something in their leaves when eaten can kill horses :(
    The oak trees acorns can kill too

Trees that were ok and we used were eucalypts, london plane trees and paulownias.

7. Pinkie_Pie

Pinkie_Pie Well-known Member

It's telling me that it's a bad url... Will check out the other sites though.

Is this what happened to those QHs in Qld?

I was talking to a farmer out here. We get Cape Tulip bad! He said that if you buy a mob of sheep from down south where they aren't exposed to it you're bound to lose a few because they have no idea what it is, where as lambs bred here seem to just "know" that it's no good...

8. feather feet

feather feet Well-known Member

Great idea sharaway,alot of people have no idea,including me

9. Sharaway

Pinky, go here https://rirdc.infoservices.com.au/items/06-048

you can download the PDF from there

10. Sharaway

Same here mate, who new about Quondongs for full fat soy?

11. feather feet

feather feet Well-known Member

had no friggin idea..very interesting

12. Pinkie_Pie

Pinkie_Pie Well-known Member

Thanks Sharaway...

I've just spent the past hour reading the site that Flogga put up. Good to know that all the ones I have seen on our property (apart from that bloody cape tulip! Working on that on slowly slowly...) goats are used to keep them under control! Knew I had my Billie for a reason :p

13. Sharaway

Good to know Pinkie, this thread might save a few lives and get people to look a bit harder at what the potential dangers are

14. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

It lists ryegrass as a poisonous plant :confused: huh?! I don't think so!! Lol!

15. Sharaway

Hen, clear you have never heard of Ryetox? Kills horses every year

16. sil

sil Gold Member

Ryegrass can carry aflatoxin which can kill a horse.
    The only safe ryegrass has been tested for ARGT, or horse-safe ryegrass you've sowed yourself.

17. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

Er yeah, of course I have, lol I don't live in a vacuum and I'm not daft!! :p

But, as Sil said, it is the aflatoxin that MAY be present in ryegrass and is not the plant itself that is toxic, it is great feed, as is capeweed, providing magnesium levels are kept adequate.

Even 'safe' ryegrass is not necessarily safe as it is the soil that is the problem.

In the grand scheme of things RGT is not that common. My paddocks are pure rye and clover and no-one is dead yet - and I live in a very high risk RGT area.

18. Sharaway

Hen, I get where your coming from, but no ryegrass no aflatoxin, it's the same as saying guns are not dangerous only the bullet is.

Now does that mean all rye grass will kill your horse, clearly not, but knowing the potential for ryegrass to be toxic could save a horse.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  19. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

True that I spose. I keep an eye out for any symptoms obviously, but so far so good lol. *checks insurance policy* *#) although I have heard of cases of RGT resulting from contaminated cereal hay, so I guess the only 'safe' hay is export hay (not 2nds export either). But with the current price of export, not many can afford that sadly! Hope it comes down this season, but I won't hold my breath ....

20. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

PMSL cannabis is on the list :p hehehehe poisonous weed ... ahahahaha.

Sorry. Just tickled me *#)