treeless saddles

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by old duck, Aug 6, 2006.

1. old duck

old duck New Member

Briefly looked through the posts on this subject, but couldnt find any. So forgive me if you have already discussed it.

I have been looking into the treeless saddles, and would like to know if anyone has ridden in one. Since being EFI approved now, thought it might be a better option for me with a mutton withered very broad appy.

cheers

2. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

My instructor uses one of the Freeform on her dressage horses. I am pretty sure she competes in it too. I rode in it a couple of months ago and while it took me 10 minutes to get use to it, once I did it was great! My horse was so comfortable in it. The biggest thing to get use to is there is nothing to stop your legs swinging except you! I have ridden in other brands of treeless before and hated them. This one was different.[:-grin-:]

3. Blackbat

Blackbat Well-known Member

Best thing to do is ask to trial different brands and styles, and go for more than one ride, because they take a bit of getting used to. One's legs do suddenly take up St Vitus dance. It is a very honest saddle regarding one's crummy position. And most brands of treeless are usually pricey, and look like UFO's.

That said, I bought a second hand Torsion dressage saddle. My decision was based on how comfy my horse was in it - cantering was suddenly no problem for him. And having no tree means it can fit all shapes of horse. You can mount from the ground with a bit of balance. And the reason you get flung around at first is because not much is blocking the horses movement under you - you can feel every movement and it is magnified because there is no gullet blocking a shoulder, or straight tree blocking a flexible spine. And your cues to your horse can be far more subtle when nothing is in the way. I like mine for this reason.

4. Premier

Premier Well-known Member

I love my treeless saddle [​IMG]

Just bought it recently after looking into them for a good few years but like everyone has said it highlights my crap position.

I bought it last week second hand they were nice enough for me to try it out for a weekend, once i got the right spot and rhythm i was so much happier and the horse was in heaven. He an Arab and i was having trouble with the saddles been to restrictive. i have done a few more big rides in it this weekend and am still in love so is he, sweaty up perfectly and better movement, even peed for the first time while i was on him.

I bought a Torsion and I am of the understanding that they are going to be stocked in Horseland soon so you can get a good price from the direct stockist at the moment. They arent as cosmetically good looking as the free form and roughly the same price. If i didnt get it second hand i probably would have gone the freeform.

Best of luck and make sure you try them out and give yourself time to adjust it is a weird feeling at first [​IMG]

It's failure that tells you your aiming high enough :)

5. Rem

Rem Well-known Member

I have the Freeform and LOVE IT! Does take a bit of getting used to but it's very, very comfortable and my horses seem to really like it too. :)

6. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

My daughter just got the Barefoot Cheyenne and loves it-she reckons its the most comfy saddle shes ever ridden in!! And I'll have the new kids freeform prototype next week to try out(hopefully!!)
    Cheers,
    Wendy.

7. Cavalier

Cavalier Well-known Member

Admittedly, I haven't ridden in one, but they're the uggliest thing since the photo of DD riding Naked :eek:

For dressage or showing, I wouldn't be caught dead in one.

8. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

Lol Cav, I agree*#)

Welcome back BTW

9. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

Geez Cav not sure they compare to DD!! Actually the new kids freeform prototype is pretty nice(even though it is blue and yellow lol-go eagles!!).The cheyenne seems really bulky now but the freeform is like a normal saddle-you can even use a normal saddle cloth under the kids one and it FITS fat welshies so I'm sold lol!!!
    Cheers,
    Wendy.

10. drumcliff01

drumcliff01 New Member

I am trying to save up for a Barefoot London atm, but have been told the Cheyenne are REALLY comfy.

11. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

my advice - dont go on what people SAY - try it for yourself!

12. entreat

entreat Active Member

The best saddle I have ever sat in - barefoot Cheyenne.

My horse is so free in it. He swings through his walk now, and has a more natural cadence. He has even reduced his fear of jumping.

I had heard they're prone to tilting your pelvis back, but I honestly have a much better position now, and only tilt back if the saddle's too far forward.

I would stear clear of the knock-offs. I've sat in the one from Goodwoods, and thought it was one of the worst saddles. Don't know about the Status one.

13. bawtry

bawtry Well-known Member

I love our treeless - it is super super comfy, but I can't school in it!!! I love it on trail rides and bush rides, and it is great for the horses, but yeah - for arena work, no thanks, I'll stick to my Trainers and my Prestige dressage saddles!!!
    I think we have a Chayenne, but not sure. For long rides though, they really are fab. :)

14. Ltd Edition Madcow

Ltd Edition Madcow Well-known Member

Just wondering how they'd go safety wise?

A few people have mentioned the treeless are prone to slipping when mounting even from a block. What happens if your horse decides to do a bit of his own 'freestyle'? If the rider gets flung off balance does the saddle come too?

I'm not a safety freak or anything just thinking (rare I know!)hehe?:confused:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  15. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

I was a bit concerned about that too-especially 'cause we do alot of disenaging but my girls have just started lessons with Karen White in their treeless saddles and Soph was disengaging(hip over as she calls it) from a canter and the saddle didn't seem to move any more than a treed saddle would have at that speed, especially on a fat welshie lol!! Pretty impressed so far!!

16. Jessica0368

Jessica0368 Well-known Member

i was just wondering does anyone know any good websites for treeless saddles? i am looking into buying one and just wanted to look around.

17. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

Hi Jessica,
    Horse Connection is a good one-I have a 15'' cheyenne for sale PM me if your interested,
    Cheers,
    Wendy.

18. Premier

Premier Well-known Member

As madcow knows i was having trouble with my treeless saddle slipping, more becuase of my position than the saddle, also my girth was not tight enough. i did my first endurance ride in mine on the weekend and it did not move and we were travelling along and some speed at some points.

I love my saddle to bits, like i mentioned before i have the torsion, i did try out the freefrom the other week on premi and although i liked it, premi what not impressed but that was just his personal preference.

19. NiknMel

NiknMel New Member

I own a freeform treeless and love it. It is so comfortable. Like a leather lounge chair. If you go to horse-connection.com.au, to the contacts page, find the WA rep and call her. She can bring out a variety for you to actually try out on your horse. Good luck. You will find many mixed opinions on them, but after trying many a saddle on my girl(she is young so also changing shape) this is the only one that I could put on her, suited both of us and I know it will change with her body shape. Also love the fact that I can feel her underneath me more. Love them!!!

20. NiknMel

NiknMel New Member

Just read about slipping whem mounting. I have to say that I don't think I am the most gracefull at mounting and if my girth is firm enough(yes she can breathe), I can mount from the ground in mine.