Treated pine as float flooring

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by ILoveClydesdales, Jan 22, 2013.

1. ILoveClydesdales

ILoveClydesdales Well-known Member

We are looking into various floors for our project float and whilst chatting to a salesman at Cullities today my hubby was told about the R3 treated pine for flooring. It's 45mm thick and 90mm wide, it's started us thinking about using that with 2mm gaps between so we can hose out easily.

Has anyone used this? And what would be the pros and cons? Thanks **)

2. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

I wouldn't touch treated pine with a ten foot barge pole.

Treated pine does not have the same longevity or strength as red wood and the float floor is going to have to be able to put up with being wet with horse pee, horse manure and road spray.

I would run a long way from it.

3. SMW

SMW New Member

I've got marine ply in my float as flooring. It has been in there for 8 years and still going strong. When it was replaced all the edges of the wood was sealed so no wetness could get in.

4. Blackbat

Blackbat Well-known Member

I'm not very techy or mechy but sounds unsuitable to me. I've seen how treated pine poles and boards weather (split, warp), it's soft and open grained, and how heavy is a 45mm thick floor going to be?

It might be ok for flooring a stairway landing, but to withstand an all weather equine application- I would be dubious. One karate kick from a horse and it's matchwood.

Most float builders use marine ply or form ply for it's lightness and strength, or hardwood floors, even aluminum, fiberglass and reinforced steel mesh. But I've never heard of a pine floor, or even side panels, not strong enough.

5. NaeNae87

NaeNae87 Well-known Member

I have the 25mm honeycomb fibreglass flooring in mine.

There are no joins, it will not rot and it will be as strong as it is now in 30yrs.

It's also lighter weight than a wood floor.

6. ILoveClydesdales

ILoveClydesdales Well-known Member

Thanks peoples. SMW can you tell me what thickness marine ply you used? This was our first option but reading more about flooring has made us wonder about whether we need just the one layer at 25mm thick or two layers laid opposite ways at a thinner thickness. Looking forward to hearing back.

7. taeliesyn

taeliesyn Well-known Member

Plywood already alternates the run of the grain at each level.

8. madison

madison Well-known Member

We used the 25mm with steel mesh under neith and its worked a treat

9. SMW

SMW New Member

My marine ply is 25mm thick and I use rubber mats on top of it as the surface is shiny

10. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

Omg I wouldn't even consider pine as a flooring it's too soft let alone not waterproof. We have treated pine poles on our place with termites in them so the treatment is only as good as the application at the time.. thick marine ply is the only way to go for DIY. Don't forget water from wet roads affects the underneath as well as hosing and horse wee from the top.. The new fiberglass etc flooring sounds very very good too. Maybe you could get a float manufacturer here in WA to recommend or even do the floor for you it's so important.

11. beaudacious

beaudacious Well-known Member

We're looking into using honeycomb flooring on our float to reduce the weight. Have you got any photos of the flooring or information on where you got it from and how much it costs?