Training Brumbies

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by MyShadowfax, Jul 5, 2013.

1. MyShadowfax

MyShadowfax Well-known Member

Morning everyone! I'm just wondering if there are any brumby owners around - preferably that have done most of the training themselves?

I have recently had my aged mare PTS and I have one other older (15) pleasure riding horse. I have always been interested in brumbies and there is a local organisation that traps them in our state forrest as opposed to government culling. They halter train them to a basic level and then offer up for adoption. They currently have a filly that I'm interested in, I would like to work with her on the ground for a couple of years and then hopefully train to saddle with the help of my instructor and use her as my riding horse and retire Skye (good knows she's earned it!)

I believe I am an intermediate level rider - but probably more knowledgable with groundwork But I'm worried I might be in 'over my head' with a horse with such limited handling. I am more than happy to work slowly with the horse, at whatever pace is required - but im concered about such things as feet trimming / emergency vet visits etc (if the hourse has to be sedated for example and I have not had a lot of time to work with it on this).

I haven't done this before, but am keen to learn with the help of instructors and am interested to hear from others who may have done similar :)

2. RVP Horses

RVP Horses Well-known Member

It sound like you have the right mind set and are happy to get help when needed. Once you earn their trust they should be like any other horse. Especially since this one is young. It is the first phases that you need to be most careful with. Setting clear boundaries for respect whilst trying to gain their trust can be a bit of a balancing act but once they are set and the trust is earnt everything else should be as per a domesticated horse. Whilst she is in the initial phase it is important that you don't give ground to her and allow her to be dominant. Don't be afraid to defend your space even if this means the horse comes into contact with a stick. You must think of your safety first. If you show her any fear she will take advantage of it. That is her instinct. The biggest mistake you can make is trying to be nice to her to win her trust. That is likely to put you in a dangerous position. You will have time to make friends once she accepts you as a strong leader. I'm not saying go out of your way to hit her for doing the wrong thing but be assertive when asking for the right thing and give her a good quit when you get what you were asking for. Working her lose in a round yard where you can keep a distance is a great start. Get her accepting change of direction and change of gait. Once she understands you can move her feet she'll be more respectful of your space. Have a look at some Warwick Schiller training videos. He goes through a process that he call "hooking on". This would be a great start for you as it keeps you at a safe distance. Being a young filly she is less likely to be dangerously challenging than would an older horse or a colt. But you still need to stay aware at all times as she can be unpredictable whilst she is looking for the right answer to your questions. Good luck.

3. MyShadowfax

MyShadowfax Well-known Member

Thank you for the reply and advice!

Yes I am familiar with Warwick Schiller and do a fair bit of hooking in / joining up. I am not a 'big' personality around horses in general and sometimes this can be mistaken for weakness that's for sure!! I have a stick with me at all times around new horses and use it as an extension of my arm but I think I need to work on my timing and the release - it can definitely be perfected! Very good tip about establishing leadership early on I can understand how that will benefit!

4. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

I have never had a lot to do with brumbies however a friend and I went and watched one a few months ago. He was super fast at reacting to things he thought a threat and as he was wanted for a child to work with it was decided not to get him.

So watch her first and see how she reacts to things around the place and make sure you know her temperment and where any issues might arise.

After all Brumbies may well have been hunted (This was the impression I had of the gelding we look at) by dogs and they would have fair reason to be very very reactive to sudden movement from behind as this gelding was.

5. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Hop on over to Warwick Schillers FB page (PM me if you want the link). I recently had an absolutely out of this world fantastic conversation with a few others on just this question on his page. Fair dinkum it was the most civilised discussion on brumbies and the management and training thereof I have ever witnessed. I never thought such a conversation was possible but I was pleasantly surprised :))

6. smc8_0

smc8_0 New Member

I own a Brumby, I bought him as a 2 year old colt. It's been a journey for both of us and there's loads I would do different next time but they make great horses with a lot of time, effort and patience.

I do believe they are a lot more sensitive than a domestic horse but over time they come around. All horses are individuals but you need to be very committed - I am an intermediate rider as well, with little prior solid horse training experience, but he has taught me so much and I shared your concerns about not being able to handle him etc but it has all worked out, I just found a mentor and had lessons (ground work and now ridden) to teach me first, then him and I knew when to let a professional step in to show him in black and white the correct way. More so to lesson the confusion for the horse as the blind leading the blind doesn't always work :)

Pm me if you'd like to know more as the Brumby debate is one I'd rather not get into (from previous posts it usually ends up that way)

7. TJT

TJT New Member

I have a brumby had him since he was 18mths.... was caught as a yearling and handled by teenagers ie: halter, feet etc etc under guidance, he hasn't put a foot wrong and is just like any normal horse, no different to a 18mth old t'bred or other breed......Never had any trust issues or problems except he likes digging holes! he is now 5 and an absolute ripper of a horse! :)*

8. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

, because if brought in early enough they are**) Any horse with little or no handling is the same. I really don't think being a "brumby" makes them any different. In fact a bonus as you get a clean slate. Be confident and take the leaders role, ask for help when needed and you should be fine :)

9. GeeJay

GeeJay Guest

They are just a horse like any other horse.
    :dry:

10. Horseagilitywa

Horseagilitywa Well-known Member

I have a bush pony.... as in "brumby" bought in with Motorbikes from the Coolgardie bush, had one from Roebourne too.

Had a couple, definatly more sensitive, as no human exposure etc...

Pep liberty 13 July - YouTube