trainers insurance?

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Insurance' started by Halligan, Jun 4, 2010.

  1. Halligan

    Halligan Well-known Member

    So just wondering what sort of insurance you'd need if you were training other peoples horses for them? On yours or their property.

    And who would you go through?
  2. CDA

    CDA Well-known Member

    I have mine with Affinity
  3. Halligan

    Halligan Well-known Member

    Thansk CDA :)
  4. carol51

    carol51 Well-known Member


    my grandoughter is doing track riding for her boss and he has told her she has to get insurance to ride the gallopers and to work the standies in harness she is also going to go for her trainers licence so does anyone know what ins she needs and what is a good company to go with and more importantly is she supposed to pay for all this herself
  5. nikita146

    nikita146 New Member

    Insurance for trainers/riders

    Hi Carol51,
    Just noted your enquiry and this is what I had to do awhile back as I had a couple of girls coming out to ride my horses in slow & medium pace work.

    I was told by a trainer friend that I should get insurance in case one of the girls had an accident while working for me.( I could be taken to the cleaners by an insurance company if I had no cover)I needed to take out a workers compensation policy to cover what I was paying them each week. So I did.

    Did they also have cover ?
    I don't think so, but wanted to cover my ass in case.One of the girls turned out not to be the person we thought she was, I was glad I had the cover, in case she was more mischievous.She didn't try anything on, but I was glad to be covered in case she did.

    As I seem to attract the wrong kind no matter how hard I try to always do the right thing, decided it wasn't worth the risk ,and took out a policy for that season of training .A company called CGU were the only ones I could find that covered the race horse industry.

    Didn't check on what the girls needed or had done insurance wise, not my business, but suspect they didn't have any cover at all.The pay for trackriders is not fantastic, so can understand them not having any cover. The racing industry is going downhill other than for a handful of large trainers who charge accordingly and have the money to pay staff.

    I hope your Grandaughter has the fire in her belly, she will need it.

    My observations :
    training horses is a mugs game ;
    owning them even more so (done both);
    one does it for the love of it ,not for income;
    "8 beautiful resident horses" to remind me.:)
  6. carol51

    carol51 Well-known Member


    thank you nikita for the info about a week after i posted my grandoughter was thrown and stomped on she sustained two fractured bones in her back t5 and t6 ended up in hospital . anyway her boss said he would take care of her [choke] its taken him a week to get her last wage to her and he isnt going to pay her while shes off about 8 weeks , he also rsckons she has to pay her own ins he also hasnt put her on the books he keeps saying he is going to but never does he has said not in so many words that tay cant claim off him becouse shes not on his books his words were that no ins company would entertain the claim but if he screws her around i will sue him peronally not his ins if he can be that callous to a 15 yr old then i think he deserves what he gets
  7. Going round in circles

    Going round in circles Active Member

    To work in a racing stable you need to be licensed with RWWA in wa you need a license for both codes. When licensed you have ins cover.

    Trainers are meant to register you when when you start working (99% don't).

    If your granddaughter was not licensed the only why you can get any money is to sue him which can be very hard.

    Good luck with this and I hope nikita feels better soon.
  8. Wendy

    Wendy Well-known Member

    Same thing happened to my daughter who has worked on a casual/cash arrangement for a trainer for 5 years. No insurance, not on the books. Yes, I know we should have insisted, but he had become her friend and she never wanted to put pressure on him as he was often having a hard time financially.
    She had a bad accident in July where the tendons and a chunk of bone were torn from the back of the kneecap when it hyperflexed. Months of hospital, operations, rest, physio, trips to outpatients etc. The leg has healed with her knee in a bent position and it may take many more months, even years to come good. She tried for Centrelink payments but couldn't get them so I have been supporting her as best I can. He also said he would take care of her, but he has never offered anything and she is reluctant to put any pressure on.

    If she had had insurance with EWA or Hack Council, it probably wouldn't have helped her anyway, would it?:confused: If she was supposedly "employed?"
  9. Heifer

    Heifer Gold Member

    well if she was employed officially then no, but then the employer has to take out workers comp insurance.

    If she was doing the dodgy and not declaring it as income for tax purposes (cash in hand) then i think she could have claimed SHC or EWA insurance.
  10. Wendy

    Wendy Well-known Member

    She wasn't deliberately trying to avoid tax, she started when she was 14 doing a few hours on a Saturday, then was able to arrange school work experience, then was able to quit school on a school to work transition arrangement. She has ADD and was not suited to settle in class and they were probably glad to see the back of her.
    So she just sort of drifted into this work as she has ridden all her life.

    Guess nothing can be done now so we will just have to wear it.#(

Share This Page