Towing with a Mazda Tribute

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by GiGi, Oct 22, 2010.

1. GiGi

GiGi Guest

Wondering if anyone has a Mazda Tribute used for towing float plus 2 horses ?
    And what your opinions are.
  2. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

3. GiGi

GiGi Guest

Thanks Nannygoat, even the 3.0lt V6 version ?? The review doesn't actually say much about that.

I have a mechanic on the lookout for me. He knows what I'm looking for with regard to towing. It's very confusing ! It would have a top of the range reece hitch on it, ummmm, thankyou again.
  4. Gamby

Gamby Well-known Member

Gigi it probably CAN do it but you need to check its legal towing limit to make sure you dont void your insurance if you are towing and your overweight.
  5. GiGi

GiGi Guest

Right Gamby thanks, I wish I could afford a brand new Toyota Hilux ! Going to the auctions on Wednesday.

My mechanic is a very thorough man, works privately, and makes it his business to ensure that women don't get ripped off with cars ! I'll ask him about the legal towing limit, thanks.
  6. Magic Moon

Magic Moon Well-known Member

7. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

Depends how heavy the horses are though.

My extended taylor is only 760kg's that would leave that car with around 800 able to be loaded still.

I wouldn't buy one for 2 horses - but should be fine for 1? or 1 normal, 1 small, or 2 small ;)
  8. GiGi

GiGi Guest

Thanks people, very helpful
  9. Magic Moon

Magic Moon Well-known Member

And the day you put two large horses in the float, you are in potential trouble. And then it also depends on the tow bar. I have a Falcon panel van with a weight distibuting hitch and a towing capacity of 2300 kg. With a normal tow bar, the towing capacity is only 1350 kg. Suggest you check with a tow bar expert and DPI.
    If the vehicle doesn't have a towing capacity of at least 1800 - 2000 kg, I certainly wouldn't buy it, unless towing a single float.
  10. LuckyStar

LuckyStar New Member

We have a mazda tribute diesel ute and have used it too tow the float before. we only had my small (15 hh) mare and her then foal in it so it was ok. having said that i wouldnt be towing them in it now. Oh it does have a special towing setup though.