topline muscles

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by determined, Feb 11, 2014.

1. determined

determined New Member

is it normal for a horse to build muscle on both sides of his neck meaning the underside aswell as the top?

2. InkibahD

InkibahD Well-known Member

can be depends on the horse, Little quarter horse mare we had used to build it on the underside if you let her carry her head the way she wanted all the time, she benefitted from working in frame and long and low seemed to balance her neck out a bit better

3. obesessed1989

obesessed1989 New Member

He does work long and low and in a frame and is building topline but also underside muscles just wanted to know if that's right? Or should they not buil underside at all?

4. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Sounds a bit odd. Is he a windsucker??

5. obesessed1989

obesessed1989 New Member

No not a wind sucker so I take it he shouldn't be building underside muscles?

6. InkibahD

InkibahD Well-known Member

ive seen those underside muscles a lot in quarter horses... Im not sure if its normal or not certainly desirable for dressage however our little mare built more underneath then on top when she was aloud to do what she wanted with her head (leased her out and came back with huge ones)

7. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Building up the bottom neck muscles is not good. Ewe neck it is called when the horse is over developed in that area.:blink:

Created from veterinary issues, or if the horse is not ridden correctly and with its head in the air and no correct hind quarter work.**)

8. Warren

Warren New Member

Who's asking? Determined or Obesessed1989?

I agree, it's incorrect muscle development. Often seen in showjumpers who are constantly throwing their heads up to fight an overly short martingale (and/or rough hands). Correct work should develop topline.

9. obesessed1989

obesessed1989 New Member

Ok so I'm doing something wrong he does throw his head up every now and then maybe that's why? I don't ride with a martingale and I give him a pretty long rein any suggestions on how to stop the underside muscles and start getting some more topline? Please

10. Diana

Diana Gold Member

Giving a long rein isn't bad, as long as you're making sure he's accepting the bit and you're getting him going nice and forward (lots of leg, circles, etc.) without letting him fall on his forehand. It's a tough balance, but it does help them work properly. While you're getting him better at working properly you might want to have a shorter rein but don't let him lean on you.

Do you have access to an instructor? It's always helpful to have someone on the ground who can tell you what's going on and what needs work :)*

11. Thatest

Thatest New Member

my horse is on baileys no 4 topline conditioning cubes he is a very fizzy boy and these seemed to have calmed him down and have in no way fizzed him up. so maybe changing her feed to something so she has the right protein to build muscle and working long and low, pessoa-ing to build up topline