Toe Stoppers...

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Murray, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Murray

Murray Well-known Member Staff Member

Hi ALL,

I thought it was time that we devoted a forum to horse and rider safety and would like to kick it off with this topic. Toe stoppers are an invention to prevent riders getting "hung up" on a horse should they fall off. I first saw this on Burke's Backyard some time ago and thought it was one of the greatest horse riding safety ideas ever invented.  Click here for more information.

<font face="Brush Script MT"><span style="font-size:18pt;">Murray</span></font>

2. crave

crave Well-known Member

I saw the same programme and I agree I think they are a marvellous idea. Throughout the years Iv'e been riding I've seen some terrible accidents which could have been prevented with this sort of invention. Should be compulsory for children!

crave

3. annie

annie Active Member

I bought a set for my daughter as she rides out quite a bit on her own we have everything geared towards safety for her, she rides in a wintec western saddle and we had to modify the toe stoppers a bit as the top straps weren"t quite long enough with a bit of fiddling we managed and they are now securely attached, she also has western reins as if she is miles form home and comes of she can still hang onto her horse, she also takes her mibile with her...now if I can just get her to wear her safety vest all the time!!!

annie

4. admin

admin Guest

Don't know what happened to this post Sarah? You might like to try again.

5. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Okey dokey thankyou Murray...did I do sumfin wrong?

~§Arnie§~

6. admin

admin Guest

No, nothing wrong it just hasn't appeared for some reason. It would be easier for you to re-post than for me to check out the data file.

7. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Oh Ok thankyou :)...here it is (from what I can remember)...

I agree toe stoppers are great. Expecially for kids! I myself have used them but find they try to keep my foot in the position they're made. Thats good for some people but I like my foot in a different position making it hard when the stopper is there. But their a garentee of no caught ankels when ya fall off! I reckon the best invention to still be made on a horse is a seat belt!...

~§Arnie§~

8. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

I think you might find a seat belt on a horse mors dangerous than helpful I also wonder where it would retract to LOL
    My boys were all made to wear clogs when they started riding as they got better though they decided they were for babies and changed their clogs to proper stirrups. I spend half my life yelling heels down heels down

9. widgelli

widgelli Well-known Member

I was taught to ride in clogs , and used the same ones to teach my children to ride. They are small ones and dont allow the children to get their feet to far into the stirrups , so it becomes a habit to ride with the stirrup bar along the ball of the foot and to keep their heels down .
    I might add that these little clogs are still in use for the little sister of the girl who now uses out stockhorse.

Jo

10. Denny

Denny Well-known Member

I think these new "Toe Stoppers" are an excellent idea... but I think I have found some better ideas!!!!!!!!!

Both of these can be used in competition... either English (Saferider) or Western (Breakaway).

When I was 14 I was dragged some 100m on a horse, as I couldn't get my foot out of the stirrup. Now one of my greatest fears is not of being dropped off.. but being dragged.

I have used the Saferider myself and reccomed it to any one.

http://www.saferider.com.au

http://www.breakawaystirrups.com/index.html

11. Murray

Murray Well-known Member Staff Member

Excellent stuff Denny! You didn't forget us cowboys either. [​IMG]

<font face="Brush Script MT"><span style="font-size:18pt;">Murray</span></font>
    PS: I fixed your link thingy.