Today Tonight last night......(Tuesday)

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Belinda, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Belinda

Belinda Well-known Member

Did anyone see Today Tonight on Tuesday night - the story about the 10 year old boxer. They showed a table detailing the most dangerous sports and the fatality rate out of 1000 and horseriding was at the top of the list!!! - even skydiving was further down the list! Certainly makes you think, although I guess it's all relative. For example many more people ride than skydive so there is bound to be more accidents.

Belinda

2. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Didn't you realise that horses can be bloody dangerous? It is only proper training, education, commonsense and a stupid passion for these beasts that keeps us alive!

=) CJ

3. Belinda

Yes, I have a huge appreciation for how dangerous and unpredictable they can be, but I didn't realise that they caused so many fatalities!!

Belinda

4. Chilcotin

Chilcotin Guest

............and the very forgiving nature of the beast.

Grant Walske
    "Towards Partnership with the horse"
    www.chilcotin.com.au

5. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Yes I've known this for a while and it amazes me alot! It amazes me how a horse (an animal) can allow you to get on the back and push them around like that!...

Sarah

~All time is wasted what is not spent with horses.~

6. Belinda

Yes, that is so true. That often occurs to me when I am riding my horse. He is very well built, and I am quite petite, and it blows me away that such a large, strong animal is prepared to do my bidding (most of the time!!).

Belinda

7. The Old Grey Mare

The Old Grey Mare Active Member

anyone can have an accident, but when you have people + a large animal, the accident factor almost doubles before you have taken the 1st step.

i have noticed though, that lots of accidents are by non horsey people being around horses, & horsey people who stop paying attention to the horses body language.

a horse always signals their emotions, so if you watch carefully you can almost predict the next action from a horse.

ears, eyes & general body movement are a great indicatior.

8. Belinda

Yes, that is true. I find that growing up in a non-horsey family and not being around horses when I was young, that I am now very cautious and always looking out for possible disasters, whereas people I know that have been around horses all their life get very blase and leave themselves open for accidents. Having said that, I think that the figures they use that put horseriding up there as the most dangerous sport are mainly fatalities that occur from sports such as eventing, rather than pleasure riding.

As an example though of how easily accidents can happen when you least expect it, I was saddling my horse up the other day and didn't have my hat on. I ducked under his neck, in front of his chest, at the same time that he brought his leg up to swat a fly, and I nearly got brained!! I never wear my hat until I actually get on the horse, but I know a lot of people believe that you should wear your hat when you are simply around horses, and I guess that is a good example of why.

Belinda

9. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

So okay, the amount of human fatalities from riding horses is high but I wonder if anyone has ever botherd to count the amount of equine fatalities from being ridden?????????

Ali

10. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

But dont forget that these are world statistics.
    Its also true that more people die from donkey accidents that they do in plane crashes. Does that make you feel safe in a plane or just worried around a donkey???

~When all else fails and there is no one else around, hug yourself~

11. The Old Grey Mare

The Old Grey Mare Active Member

oh no, now i am scared of donkeys.... LOL

12. Lily

Lily Well-known Member

and I will never ride a donkey on an aeroplane - just asking for distaster.....

13. Starbe

Starbe Well-known Member

hahaha.. more people are killed by falling coconuts then sharks...

bak on the topic, it would be interesting to know what the percentage was of people wearing helmets, to those who chose not to wear them. Its not worth not wearing a helmet, when the consequence could be death.

14. Belinda

Yes I'm a helmet nut. Always wear one and shudder when I see others not wearing one. It would be very interesting to see which fatalities could have been avoided by wearing a helmet. However my understanding of the statistic is that most people killed in riding accidents are participating in cross country, where I assume you have to wear a helmet (correct me if I'm wrong).

I would be interested to hear from other members, however, that do not wear helmets when riding and why not. Personally I believe that it should be the individual riders choice (as it is - not law YET as with bike helmets) and I also understand that many riders have a level of skill or confidence where they believe they can keep themselves safe, however........ freak accidents do happen, so I guess you either accept the risk or you don't.

Belinda

15. Belinda

Yes I'm a helmet nut. Always wear one and shudder when I see others not wearing one. It would be very interesting to see which fatalities could have been avoided by wearing a helmet. However my understanding of the statistic is that most people killed in riding accidents are participating in cross country, where I assume you have to wear a helmet (correct me if I'm wrong).

I would be interested to hear from other members, however, that do not wear helmets when riding and why not. Personally I believe that it should be the individual riders choice (as it is - not law YET as with bike helmets) and I also understand that many riders have a level of skill or confidence where they believe they can keep themselves safe, however........ freak accidents do happen, so I guess you either accept the risk or you don't. And no doubt someone will say, well, riding is a risk full stop, however surely you eliminate part of that risk by protecting your head. However, having said that I concede that you can only protect yourself from risk to a certain degree, otherwise we would all be riding around with full body protectors when out on pleasure rides.

Belinda

16. horsegirl

horsegirl Well-known Member

Well yesterday I was in the Police Traffic Camera Section looking at photos for work (not me!!) and there was a piccy of 2 mounties, wearing all the clobber and no bloody helmet!! They were both in the aukubra style hats!! I was pretty shocked at that!!

17. Kari

Kari New Member

I DONT wear a helmet at home because they make my head VERY hot and I start to get really dizzy and have fainted once on a very hot day.

If I ride out of my property on the road or trails I always wear a helmet, simply because I know my horse is not as predictable out as she is at home.

If I ride a horse other than Wini I always wear a helmet. Only because I know 99% of the time I can predict what Wini is going to do before she knows she is going to do it (Ive been riding her for nearly 10 years now), so I feel pretty damn safe riding her. But other horses I dont have this luxury.

Helmets should DEFINATELY be an ADULT riders choice, in the case of kids it should be the parents choice. At home, out and about and at shows - all should be the riders choice. Unfortunately it doesnt seem to be going this way.

I know I will be blasted for this but its just my opinion.

18. valkyrie

valkyrie New Member

I think the figures of people being injured by horses may be a little confusing. I think Today Tonight should have shown percentages instead. Yes more people are injured by horses than any other sport including motor racing, however many more people horse ride than race. Just about everybody has gone horse riding at one time in their life, whether at a horse hire place or a riding school, even if only once. Where as don't know anybody who has jumped out of a plane or base jumped. I'm not disagreeing that horse riding is exceptionally dangerous, just the way that it seems to be portrayed as worse than it really is, maybe something to do with the whole insurance fiasco. JMHO.

The helmet issue is another prob. Yes, it's the riders decision to accept the risk and make a choice, but, should the public be made to pay the Medicare bill if they injure themselves knowing full well the risk and not taking precautions. On the other hoof, if people are made to wear helmets where does it stop, will we be made to wear full body protectors next? I have a friend who considers helmets to be more dangerous than not. She told me that helmets can actually cause neck injuries when you otherwise would have been fine. Just her opinion, I always ride in a helmet. I still agree it is the riders choice and should have insurance anyway.

Please don't hate me if I have offended anybody. I've just written the issue as I see it. Sorry about the huge post, I've just been thinking about this issue a lot lately.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is difficult to be sat on all day, every day, by some other creature, without forming an opinion about them. On the other hand, it is perfectly possible to sit all day, every day, on top of another creature and not have the slightest thought about them whatsoever.

19. Kari

Kari New Member

I agree with the medicare thing.

I have my own private health insurance, personal insurance and public liability insurance, so I feel im taking responsibility for my choices.

20. taylor

taylor Well-known Member

re: the helmet being the rider's choice at shows

That rule about helmets was brought in so it was possible to have insurance for shows, and therefore have them run at all. I know I'd rather wear a helmet and be able to compete, than have the choice of what to put on my head and have no shows!

But then I'm a helmet nut anyway, and was doing hacking in a charles owen 2 years before the rule came in for adults.

p.