To bandage or to boot

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by beccy, Apr 3, 2003.

1. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

Which way do you prefer and why?

-bec-

2. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

I prefer boots as generally they are easier and quicker to fit and remove. Also I think that there is the risk with bandages being applied unevenly and dueing more damage than good. A girl that used to be where I agist use to put bandages on her horse without any gauze or padding under them! I do occasionally use bandages but not as often as boots. I read an interesting article in an UK mag last year by an event rider who stated that alot of people put boots and bandages on their horses too much so that when it comes to the horse ever doing heavy work without the boots etc, the legs are almost too weak without the support.It makes you think???

Ali

3. The Old Grey Mare

The Old Grey Mare Active Member

are we talking floating?
    if so, like to use a float boot to keep the sock clean.
    only use it for show days. the rest of the time, she is "naked"
    i use a bandage for the tail wrap.

4. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

A lot of stabbles at the uk leave the bandages on for 3 hours, then all the grooms have to stop what they are doing and all change the bandages (not sure about night time) This would be an amsolute night mare. no wonder horses over there are becoming weak in the legs.
    Ive only seen a few places in perth that keep boots/bandages on their horses all day.

I bandage when doing schooling all the time. I do it because of the work I do, It helps protect the legs in lateral work from bumping, and gives more support to the tendon when riding for longer periods. its also good practice for if an unfortunate even where the horse injures himself, and for checking his legs for any new cuts as a double inspection.

-bec-

5. Zahira

Zahira Well-known Member

I boot for all schooling, bush riding anything. I also use boots in the higher grades of eventing mainly because of the risk factor of bandages coming off and once through water bandages wiegh a ton on the horses legs and water jumps tend to be later through the course.

And of course you don't have to worry about taping the boots and the time factor, getting them off in an emergency if needed and overall time.

But i have to admit, i used to use bandages all the time a while ago....before I stopped and now that I have started again, I prefer the boots.

6. Denny

Denny Well-known Member

I'm lazy..... I use boots for schooling every day because I can't be bothered washing and rolling bandages!!! I use to use bandages all the time but got slack. Also the YDB was knocking himself about quite a bit for awhile there and kept putting holes in my bandages. I "invested" in a great pair of boots and now no holes!!!

I use bandages for clinics however.... they just look nicer (vain hey). Bandages must be put on correctly or they do major damage to the horses legs.

If I ever put a horse in a new paddock (ie new to property) I put boots on. Just in case they have a hoon a do sumthing dumb!

7. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I used Bandages...personally I prefure bandages for a couple of reasons...1 a prefure the look :)-S) 2 its actually a lil cheaper and i really don't mind the time it takes but I usually make sure I make time to put them on...lol...

~§Arnie§~

8. widgelli

widgelli Well-known Member

The only time that we used boots was either when we were floating, or when doing fast work or jumping.
    Otherwise we worked with bare legs. We did this to keep the strength in the horses legs , as we not only used our horses for equitation , but also for stock work on the farm , and if their legs were weak , they wouldn't be able to handle the rough country that we mustered the sheep and cattle in .
    I have never had much problem with them over stepping and doing damage to their heels and fetlocks . The reason for this I think is that they had to be pretty well balanced from the exercise that they got in the hills.

Jo

9. horsegirl

horsegirl Well-known Member

I use shipping boots all round for floating and splint boots all round for jumping. I use bell boots for any type of riding and floating. I usually work without anything at home if I'm just doing flat work, but when I go to ARC I will usually bandage them for flat work, because I too have the vanity problem - I think it looks nice and my boys are always colour co-ordinated - aren't I sad??!!

10. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

We use float boots for floating and we bandage white socks after washing before a show & use jumping boots when jumping. we dont have bandages/boots on our horses unless they are doing or going somewhere.
    Some of the big hack/show people have them on 24hrs a day to protect legs from splints and bumps, we bought some to go on my colt a while back and they never lasted a day on him, he always pulled them off and ate them!!

11. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

.lol

i can just imagine the colt going ooo im hungy, oh these look good *chomp* hmmm stringy

-bec-

12. Nikiwink

Nikiwink Well-known Member

i don't work my horses with boots/bandages anymore - i used to a lot but have
    a)become lazy (my horses are currently rarely and wot work they do is lazy hacks)
    b)i ride alot thru water hence wont use bandages for those kind of rides
    c) have read too many reports (from USA & EU) that suggest boots/bandages etc can cause more stress on legs from reverberations up legs etc - mind u they all say if not done correctly so who really knows yet?!?

i float my horses naked mostly - but after listening to many friends saying scramblers should be booted i bought new boots to float my horses home. needless to say my horse (one of them) shredded the boots and a leg.

:) Nikiwink :)

13. Denny

Denny Well-known Member

Sassy, your colt and my young horse must have gone to the same school......
    The first thing I have to do when I get off is take his front boots off. One day I wasn't so quick and I turned my back....

RIP...... I turned around and he was standing there smiling at me [​IMG] with a piece of velco missing from his boot. The missing piece of velco was stashed away in the back of his mouth.

He was saving it for Ron. (later on)

14. bjl

bjl New Member

I'm totally a boots and bandage person. Mine has a habit of rubbing his hocks raw in the float so he has the top of the range trucking boots, that cover the hocks at the back and the knees at the front, cos he once slipped coming down the ramp on the old float, (it was steep) and skinned his knee which has a lovely scar now.
    He wears paddock boots, when out in the paddock, he bashed his back leg, took a great chunk of hair off, it didn't bleed but it was oozy and he's leg was up like a tree trunk for 3 days. Just long enough to miss Dressage Club's first rally! If he hadn't had the boots on he would have REALLY done some damage. I use neoprene boots all around when I ride at home, bandages for DAWA or any schools I attend.

bj

15. C HORSE

C HORSE Well-known Member

I have always used boots to work my horses in. Float boots are always worn as my last horse was a scrambler and he did one get his boot off and cut his leg but once we sorted out the float in a way so he had room to spread his legs he was fine but he still had the protection of his boots (better to have some protection even if they can get them off!!!)
    I also like paddock boots as my old horse had the nack of climbing through fences and one day he got out and the people in the paddock next to us had a bundle of old fencing wire on the ground to take out the tip and my horse got stuck in all his wire and couldnt move (as it was around his legs) and he just stood there waiting for someone to get him out,and when we did get him out of the wire he didnt even have a scratch on his legs.I was very lucky he didnt panic other wise it could of been worse.We fixed the problem of my Hoodeany horse and put a hot wire around his fence line so he couldnt try and go for a wonder and say hi to all his neighbours. But I think that paddock boots are great as they have saved my horse from cutting his legs.If you buy paddock boots get the ones with the double velcro as they last and last and I never had a problem of my horse ripping them off,but I dont think that he ever tried?? (not when I was watching him anyway) but every horse is different.....

16. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

This is a pretty interesting topic and I think it depends on circumstance. I bandage for floating as I am yet to find float boots that don't slip when my horse used to chuck huge fits and then that just upsets him more!! I use plain leather boots when schooling only to stop overreaching/ being hit with woodchips we ride on and help with flies. Fly boots in summer as my horse is hypersensitive- it sounds like I am a boot freak but there are a few things about using sports medicine boots that I find quite interesteing. After my horse had his leg injury I asked the vet whether I should buy sports medicine boots to help him. I was advised not to as they prevent the legs from becoming stronger and if I did work him without the boots he may not be able to handle it. So thats when i got the plain leather boots and used them and he has not gone lame once since then. However for anything high impact- eg when I start jumping again,I would definitely use some kind of shock absorbing boot. Has anyone ever used magnetic boots before?? Do they work?

17. C HORSE

C HORSE Well-known Member

I knew of a lady where I used to agist in Perth and every night she would put Magnetic boots on her horse to help with his Ringbone. (I dont even know what ringbone is but that is what she said he had because I asked why he wore the Magnetic boots?)

18. bjl

bjl New Member

Ringbone is a degradation of the joint in the pastern, it's between the fetlock and the coronet. The joint isn't really visable until ringbone is chronic. The joint consists of two fairly flat surfaces padded with cartlige. The cartlige wears over time and calcifictaion sets in and forms an edge all around the joint and it looks like a ring around the pastern, hence the name 'ringbone'. It's a degenerative disease a lot like arthritis and only gets worse. There are some who think shark cartlige helps, and magnetic therapy is great for all sorts of arthritic conditions.

bj