TJ Update/Tj Original Merged post

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Delrae, Feb 24, 2008.

1. jodles

jodles Well-known Member

OK running out to choose a card...............might be the first from QLD. I wasn't able to open the pics but after reading Remaani's response sort of think it wise not to try(fainted in first aid class looking at pics of burns)

Delrae all my thoughts are with you and TJ

2. tariquepark

tariquepark Well-known Member

OMG poor little fellow im glad he is on the road to recovery my hat off to you and i will find him a card too:)*:)*

3. Delrae

Delrae Gold Member

wow, one from QLD thanks :)*

probably best you dont look, I would hate for you to be carked over your computer :D we'd be sending you get well cards!!

4. Naomi

Naomi Well-known Member

Wow Delrae, I've never seen anything like this. Best wishes to your little man, please keep us informed.

5. Maree4

Maree4 Gold Member

OMG, what graphic wounds, but thank you for sharing this very unusual case with us. My heart goes out to TJ who is suffering this and to you for having to watch your little man go through it.

I too have seen a white tip spider bite cause similar injuries, but you know its bacterial. How on earth does a horse get a human bug and have it have the effects like that.

6. Delrae

Delrae Gold Member

yeah, that is exactly what Murdoch want to know, Leisl has me worried as she has had the heads of dept down again to look at him, I think they are really concerned on the amount of skin he is going to lose under his belly and how they are going to handle it as they will not be able to do skin grafts, it looks like he will have to go into a body suit but it is really concerning her :(
    especially now as he is a lot brighter in himself, how do you deal with a skinless horse??

7. tammy07

tammy07 Well-known Member

omg that poor little man ive never seen anything that bad its always the little 1s that are the strongest im so happy you decided not to have him put down will send my card to him tomorrow hope everything goes good from now on and well wishes to all of you keep us posted

8. samm

samm Gold Member

Delrae what was the bacteria you said he tested positive for?
    Just found the old info I had when our stallion got bitten by a white tail and they have cultured Bacillus, Staphylococcus and Penicillium from white tail bites.

9. Delrae

Delrae Gold Member

samm, it was gram positive bacillus

I wonder if it was a white tailed spider that caused all this??? we do have them here
    I will ask Leisl the question tonight, what was the outcome of your stallion in the end was it a full recovery and how long ??

10. jodles

jodles Well-known Member

It is good to read he is bright of eye. Sounds like it will be a long road to recovery. Paris jumped into my mind look at what she went through and had recovered. Was there any way he could have been fed something over the fence? A human bacteria sounds really suss. If he has a body suit make sure it has a huge "SH" on it definately a super horse :)

11. Petite Pastures

Petite Pastures Well-known Member

Woth looking into the white tail thing Delrae, I know two people who have been bitten and reacted badly to them and one has had heaps of her leg removed and it was a big balloon all the way from the above her knee to he foot. The other one just had like rotting flesh radiating from the bite site.
    I was bitten by one a few years ago and got nothing but a funny sore spot for a week at the bite site. They say you have to be allergic to them to get a bad reaction.
    Was he getting rugged Delrae? Because I find white tails very often hiding in my horses rugs .....found one on the couch the other day LOL we must of been sitting on him and his home!!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  12. samm

samm Gold Member

We unfortunately lost him after a month battling with him,vet visits daily,4 different types of antibiotics ,he ended up having a brain haemorrhage after the bacteria got into his bloodstream and localised in his brain.His legs would just bleed and ulcerate and he ended up with a uevitis in both eyes.Just when we thought he was coming good he had the brain haemorrhage and died.
    When we first found him he was down on the ground thrashing about and his testicles had swelled to the size of dinner plates.Then all the problems surfaced for that month after.
    White tails also cause necrotisation of flesh as the venom they inject is whats called necrotising arachnidism.
    Nasty little suckers they are.
    Never seen anything like it and if I had known then what I know now I probably would have put him down immediately.Hindsight however is a wonderful thing.:}

Oh and I forgot to add ,my stepson has also been bitten by a white tail and even now after about 7 years he gets ulcerated sores occasionally that doctors have said is due to the white tail bite.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  13. Delrae

Delrae Gold Member

oh shyte :( hope to god it is not a white tail then

PP, yes he has been wearing his white cotton... his toxins are coming out of the incisions they made in him, they havent burst through the skin so hopefully this will assist him quicker, and that is now starting to clear up, they are more worried about the care and maintainence of when he loses his skin

He is a super horse jodles and SH called also mean "STOCKIES HORSE" **)

14. balletprincess

balletprincess Well-known Member

Best of luck with your gorgeous little man Delrae. He seems like a little fighter! Get well soon TJ.

15. jodles

jodles Well-known Member

Bumping so we can check on how he is doing

16. Cass25

Cass25 Active Member

Poor little man :( I hope he gets better for you Delrae
    Get well soon TJ!!

17. jodles

jodles Well-known Member

Bumping to see how he is today :)

18. jodles

jodles Well-known Member

oh crap I just couldn't stop myself............had to look at pics didn't I. God hope is doing better :(

19. Delrae

Delrae Gold Member

Hi Jodles thanks for the bumps @)

there is not much to report at the moment, the pus/necrotic fluid is easing up now so hopefully there will be nicer pics for you to look at hopefully next week.
    He has had some visitors too, which is so cool **) especially as I cant be there
    He is definately getting his more cheeky self back and even escaped yesterday from his makeshift pen for yummier grass to eat

he still has his turtle skin on but it is starting to get very itchy for him so they are giving him a bath (hmm makes him smell a little better too :D )

20. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

I am glad that he seems to be improving Delrae, I hope he continues to get better :).