Time out

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by The Old Grey Mare, Mar 19, 2003.

1. The Old Grey Mare

The Old Grey Mare Active Member

well, show season for me is over. so now that my horses are both out resting in the paddock, what shall i do with my time?
    I know, i shall catch up on all of my housework, clean all of my horse gear & do lots of gardening. i don't think so. LOL

my horse gets to rest in the paddock for about 5 months & i get to go to work to pay the bills, wish i was my horse.

what do you do with your horse in the winter?

2. widgelli

widgelli Well-known Member

Because all our shows are in the spring , we used to have out horses out during the hot weather. This made it a lot harder to keep the horse coats nice , as they would have started to grow coats before they came into the stables , thus the necessity to clip the ponies in May and heavy rug them.
    I didn't clip the stockhorse or the thoroughbred though as the rugging and grooming kept their coats nice.
    I didn't mind having them in during the winter as I hate the heat and burn very easily. I am paying for all the sunburn now.
    I am also prone to heat exhaution as well.

Jo

3. icebabie296

icebabie296 New Member

I'm so used to all compitions being in winter I am just getting stuck into my horses now, they already had their break!!! Lots of rugs keep their coat down and it always more pleasent to ride in the rain then in the heat I reckon.