Ticks + sulfur (dogs)

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by Cheeki, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

I read that you can feed sulfur to horses to help fend off ticks .. can you do the same with dogs?
    How much do you give them?

Thanks in advance!
  2. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Yes you can. Can I suggest you purchase Pat Coleby's 'Natural Pets' book.
  3. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

Cheers Deb! I actually have one, but leant it to a friend. I must get that back and have a read! :D
  4. keridwyn

keridwyn Well-known Member

Funny, i've heard that horses don't process sulfur so it does nothing for them :confused:

We used to put sulphur actually on our dog when it had fleas bad, worked wonders! :)*
  5. mihu

mihu Active Member

Hah! What about ur kids, found one on my daughter the other day can u feed it to them as well.:)*
  6. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Believe it or not ivomectin cattle drench is fantastic as a wormer for dogs, takes care of the ticks too **) 1ml/50kgs.

ETA: whoops, no idea on the sulfur front, just know that Ivomectin works well.
  7. goog

goog Well-known Member

OK, does it pose any threat to dogs? I'm seriously over ticks up here my house and backyard smell like old moth balls from trying to battle these evil little buggers!!!
  8. Shiralee

Shiralee Well-known Member

frontluine spray works but the downside is if using a spot on they recomend you do it every 2 weeks which makes it very expensive..the frontline spray works out cheaper and if you do find a tick you can spray directly on it... frontine isnt reg lol for use in humans but it is effective if you find a tick on yrself just dab it on and tick dies
  9. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Nope, not that I'm aware. I got this remedy off the vets that come out to community. They usually take some Ivomectin 'baits' around (bits of bread with a glob of margarine and half a mil of Ivomectin) and throw them out. Seems to do the trick, not sure how often you should do it though. The stuff they use is just the clear liquid, comes in a brown box, I'll try and find the link.
  10. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Active Member

There is a product called Permoxin that is a rinse which is left on for both dogs and horses which repels ticks and fleas, have used it on both with good results.
  11. jodie

jodie Well-known Member

Ivermectin can be toxin to collie breeds otherwise if used within the dose range is generally safe. Not all collies are affected it is a genetic defect known within these breeds and you can never pick which ones could have a reaction.
  12. South Boulder Boy

South Boulder Boy Well-known Member

Advantix is very good! It prevents and treats fleas, ticks, sand fly, mozzies etc practically every annoying bug your dog might encounter. It's a once a month spot on treatment but if you're using it for paralysis ticks it needs to be done every 2 weeks.
  13. GoldenDust

GoldenDust New Member

I found out the expensive way about Ivermectin. My staffy x ? (presuming kelpie or collie) was too quick for me after worming the horse, the horse spat some out and the dog ate it. She went blind overnight. It does wear off after a few days but was very scarey for both the dog and myself! After a day at the vets I figured it out myself, googled it and came up with the answer. So I'm very alert now when worming horses to make sure dogs are no where near :).
    But I'm also very interested in the tick prevention for horses as we're moving to our block in Two Rocks in a couple of months and there's ticks everywhere. Will be spraying at some stage but the OH needs to do that as I'm pregnant and don't want to inhale the stuff. Dogs are on Advantix so all good. Cat is on Frontline Plus. Just the horses I'm worried about. So any suggestions would be awesome! :)
  14. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Not good GD but would also depend what other ingredients were in your horses wormer too. Seen the cattle drench Ivermectin given to heaps of dogs by vets, never had a problem, given it to my own dogs a few times, never had a problem. I think what exists with people being allergic to things like penicillin also occurs with animals, some react, some don't.
  15. lotsofmiles

lotsofmiles Active Member

Just this very afternoon i spoke to the lady were i get our feed from and she said to use yellow sulpher in there feed 1 teaspoon daily and within 4 days it will keep the ticks away on horses ..she said to use a smaller amount for dogs ..it was only $10.00 for a bag 1 kg ..

Thought i might give it a try seems a pritty cheap option ..
  16. GoldenDust

GoldenDust New Member

LOM, I too might try the yellow sulphur on the horses and see how that goes. And GR you could be right, thinking about it I think it was abermectin? But still from the same family of Ivermectin I think? But I'm not willing to try it out on my border collie!