Thoughts on body protectors?

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Take3beginner, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Take3beginner

Take3beginner New Member

Hi all,
    I'm new to the website and relatively new to riding (having managed to maintain in a holding pattern of failing to progress beyond trot for many years due to nerves).

But I've started up again a few months ago and it was all going great until I fell off yesterday and cracked my rib. I was transitioning from trot to canter (on the lunge!) and I think that the horse spooked and it threw me off balance and then the monkey strap broke and I fell off like a sack of potatoes.

I'm keen to avoid this happening again, so was thinking that a body protector might be a good investment (seeing as horsey seat belts are unfortunately not a thing).

Does anyone have any thoughts on a) how useful it will be, especially at a beginners level, and b) what brands/models are best. I am quite tall and long in the body if that makes a difference?

I read some research from the racing industry which seemed to suggest that head and back injuries increased when jockeys were made to wear body protectors - I would rather break ribs than my back/head, so if anyone has any insight into those findings too, that would be great!

Cheers all