"Those" horses

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by mirawee, Feb 19, 2010.

1. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

So who has a one of "those" horses? You know, the ones that if they even get a hint of the word "Show" they injure themselves?

Diva's mother, Dawn, was like that. Particularly if it was a show run by the WAAHA :p Folly has a habit of taking skin off himself so he can't go in the show ring but is fine to jump/event.

And now it seems that Raven (one of my Anglo yearlings) is going to be one of "those" horses as well :( 5 weeks to the All Arabian and she now has a bandage on her back leg!

2. Kaisi

Kaisi Well-known Member

That's no good Mirawee! #(
    Hope he's all better for the All Arab

3. Jordy D

Jordy D Active Member

I've got one, exept if he sees a saddle, his back goes out :( just got quartazone injections today and will see the acupunturist (sp?) in 4 weeks to see if it can be relived.
    Hope she gets better for you though :(

4. proud mum

proud mum Well-known Member

My daughter has one of those.
    First chance to get out for a while , dressage day tomorrow and he decides to get sick. He has a cold/virus and has some fluid on his lungs . My poor bub. Feeling very sorry for himself.

5. pso

pso Gold Member

@)
    I got one...I put it down to his feet being so far from his brain...:}

6. I do! When I first had Levi I went to Adult Riders and blow me down if he didn't come up with some minor bruising or a slight limp or something the day before a rally! I missed about half the year due to that LOL

But later on, when my friend was competing him he didn't do it at all. Silly horse!

7. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

Nope don't have one of thoses horses.

Not that I took Remy to many "shows" as such but he only ever missed one half season of rallies due to sesamoid issues in 20 yrs. He's one of those horses who had to have a leg practically mssing before he showed any pain and never really got into scrapes. No, tell a lie he did try to cut his eyelid off once and missed a month of lessons.

So far so good with Saxon too! :)

Healing vibes for Raven.

8. ArabAtHeart

ArabAtHeart Well-known Member

We've got one! Our yearling filly hears the word 'show' she'll come in with cts and srapes and bruises etc.

Also is she hears the words 'stop growing and put on some weight!' she'll shoot up, go all ribby and get a pot belly.

9. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Oh no I hope she gets better soon.

Yup I have three!

King will hurt himself before EVERY show but the moment he's not shown he won't get hurt. He's steaked himself, cut his legs, got absess in his hoof etc etc. His paddock is pretty safe and near impossible to hurt himself on the fencing and we've specifically fenced all tree's out of his paddock and he will do something...some how?

I told Cobber he was going to be ridden and shown and decided to climb through a fence to look for a visiting mare that had left that day. Cut up his legs a little bit but I had firm words with him warning this better not be the start of not being able to mention the S work around him ;).

And Karla!!! Well I mentioned the S word once and look what she did!

10. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

haha,
    but Arnie! All of your horses are so gorgeous, you could never be annoyed at them for anything! *#)

*puts hand up*
    Oh I have one alright!
    -.-
    After almost 18 months of vet visits, chiropractors, osteotherapists, bowen therapists, dentistry, corrective farriery, the works,
    it has now been concluded. that rahni puts on his soreness, as he will trot out fine in the field, see a halter, and limp -.-

But, as B so kindly told me, that once he's in work with more muscle, he won't be able to put it on so easily! :D
    And yes, filled in two show applications the other day.
    Went outside, to find blood pouring our Rahnis leg. Yes thank-you Rahni, don't go fencing anymore -.-

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  11. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Nawww thats so sweet!
    Tell you what, get me on a day they hurt themselves and fustrate me and you can have them for free :D.

12. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

deal!
    hahaa :D

13. chante306

chante306 Well-known Member

yepp I had one
    entered our first show together and week out...broken leg :(

hope yours gets better soon

14. Shakhaan

Shakhaan Well-known Member

Yep, I have one... must've been the day for it S, as snip decided to redesign the elec standoff in his paddock yesterday, nothing major but a fair bit of hair off down one hind, with a little local swelling.

At the moment, neither of them are going anywhere... haven't got chill's papers back yet, and not sure if we can afford the entry fees next week, so we'll see, come wednesday :(

Hope raven heals quickly!

15. zendor

zendor Well-known Member

definatly have one of those!
    She has done everything.Even got to get on at one show then she saw a llama and that was the end of that because they are soo scary,Solved that problem because dad bought one as a sheep gaurd not long after :p
    We have done it all,Abcesses,Fat leg virus,Stiches and staples etc
    she was just coming good back into work too before her recent one.

16. SpArTiAn

SpArTiAn Well-known Member

yep, just yesterday Jed ran through a fence! and he's the quiet, dependable one! he had a show this weekend... not anymore

my old boy Pete was the worst for it (he's now retired - joint problems) he was very good at hurting himself, one time he had only been in work a day and sliced his back leg down to the bone :( he had already had the same injury twice to that same back leg. plus a fractured splint bone. i have owned him 5? years and all up have only competed on him for 2 of those years due to him hurting himself.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2010
  17. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

We told Bear he was going to Pinjarra Breed Show last year and he stuck his leg into bouganvillea :( His leg looked like it had been gnawed by a rabid chihuahua and blew up from fetlock to knee :(

Just for effect he limped for two days :eek: (there was no heat at all *#)*#))

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  18. tazzie13

tazzie13 Active Member

yeah i am starting to think i have one of those horses i have been trying to take my boy out for months and everytime i think its time what do you know he hurts him self first fat knee them fat fetlock now a fat hock i have decided he is destined to be a paddock hack

19. ExBritKid

ExBritKid Active Member

ive got 3 of "Those" Horses @)
    Im down to 1 thats in work now lol! Brown horsey and White Whale just had to hear the words pony club and ode and they got themselves into the vets. So The orange one is wrapped in cotton wool at the moment 1 more week till the ode fingers crossed AHAH:)*

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  20. madcow

madcow Guest

roflmo...............*#)