Thoroughbred with spots???

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by Beutey, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Beutey

Beutey Well-known Member

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has heard of this or seen it. I have a bay mare who is 7 this year and she has been on lease with some friends they mentioned she was getting some white spots in her coat like appy spots and the farrier and vet has seen them and said they are unsure what they are from??? They are all different parts of the body and like 5 cent pieces she has a few flecks in her coat that she has always had, there seems to be more white spots coming up she has about 25 now anyone seen this???:confused: Thanks

sorry if in wrong spot.

2. Talullah

Talullah Well-known Member

Do you have a picture?

3. Sherri69

Sherri69 Well-known Member

I had a chestnut gelding many years ago with this I was told it was oncacerca (spelling?) It is simple to treat with a paste or a drench but the hair never changes back. I think it's a parasite under the skin from memory.

4. Beutey

Beutey Well-known Member

No pic yet she should be coming back this week sometime.Thanks Sherri69 will google it and see what i can find how bad did the spots get? they dont irritate her or arent scabby just spots.

5. Talullah

Are they in specific areas? Or just all over?

6. Beutey

Beutey Well-known Member

They are everywhere very spread out even her face

7. springbok

springbok Well-known Member

Zara Phillips horse Toytown has the same thing - I don't think it's something to worry about. The spots just appear as the horse gets older. I thought there was a name for it but I can't remember what it is right now.

Are they like this?
    [​IMG]

8. Talullah

Birdcatcher spots, named for the Thoroughbred stallion who exhibited them, are small, round, white spots scattered throughout a horse's coat. In many cases, the spots appear and grow in number for a period of years, and then gradually fade away. Sometimes, the spots will persist throughout a horse's lifetime.

Maybe thats what they are.

9. Beutey

Beutey Well-known Member

yes looks like someone has taken a photo and used the paint programme to put white spots on the horse. Is she not a bit young though?

10. Coda Cowgirl

Coda Cowgirl Well-known Member

my anglo has them...they come and go with the seasons...he had much more last summer than this summer. He started getting them at 3 years old.

11. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

An Anglo I bred (Moondust now has him ) has spots :D He developed them around 3 years of age :)

12. tammy07

tammy07 Well-known Member

at a training place in sydney we had a young purebred tb that had spots they kept appearing and the looked like toytowns but this horse had more than him dont know wat they are called tho i wouldnt worry bout them you will just hav people going is it and appy lol

13. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

if you are talking purely about discoloured fur & not a fungus etc, then there are a variety of names for them and they differ in shape/colour/structure.

there is plain ol' flecking/flicking (i think)
    bend'or marks (these are darker spots)
    birdcatcher marks

Equine Color - Horse & Pony Color Genetics Information

if you google them, there are differences.

my horse has bend'or spots, some birdcatcher spots and lots of flecking.

[​IMG]
    ignore the big wet patches, but you can see lots of white flecking and some of the bend'or spots. also, he's got irregular patches (some quite big, like the size of both my hands together) of just 'differently' coloured chestnut.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the flecking & some smut marks.

14. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

he he he

but this is a pic of my mares Mum
    [​IMG]

and my mare has white flecking.

Cheers
    Lee

15. sylvasprings

sylvasprings New Member

They are just 'birdcatcher' spots, fairly common chestnuts.
    I have had a few horses with them.
    There is also lacing, I had a mare that had a great example of it but I never took a photo of it! :(
    Some can even be caused from a Zinc deficiency.
    Other spots or more patches are from sabino.

16. Phoebepony

Phoebepony Well-known Member

My ArabXRPXTB got them this summer. People told me it a virus, but they just disappeared.

The Ozanne's have a horse (chestnut I think) that got them, and they stayed there.

Not too sure really. Would it have something to do with the pigment of the skin?

17. Sorrel

Sorrel Well-known Member

Have a stb stallion with spots on left side

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008