This is what happens when you float a bad scrambler with no boots on

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Shandeh, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Shandeh

Shandeh Well-known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was a LOT deeper than it looks and required a vet visit and 3 days box rest. He is now back in the paddock and healing well, but he won't be going on any float without boots again and even then I'm a bit leery of the idea.

This is not the first time he has injured himself on the float. Last year, first weekend of November, he nicked that same fetlock. Different [less safe] float, only a superficial wound. But this time, I opened up the float to a decent pool of blood, blood smeared up the side of the float, and a very distressed horse. Even after hosing for about 20 minutes while I waited for the vet it was still bleeding.

This is not a cut. It's a burn/extremely deep graze. The black is rubber off the float. The injury was discovered minutes after it occurred.

Photos were taken in the process of hosing.

2. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

I'm glad you have finally learnt to boot this horse every time you float him. Shame it has cost him two injuries.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2013
  3. Shandeh

EDIT; Deleted because it was defensive and poorly thought out. I mean the following in the politest tone and manner [but if I have chosen my words poorly, please point out where I have gone wrong]: Please don't say anything if you have nothing constructive to contribute. While it doesn't bother me in the long run what you think of me, I find your words hurtful - whether meant that way or not - and would be grateful if you could refrain from making such comments in the future. Thank you :)

EDIT2; Basically, I made a mistake. I acknowledge that. I have learned from it. Now I want to raise awareness of the risk we take when we as owners of scramblers float our horses without boots on. If I can save one person from making the same mistake, just one horse from suffering a similar injury, then I would like to make that possible by raising awareness as to what can happen. This injury was done in a VERY nice, VERY safe custom float that was recently serviced. My scrambler just happens to prefer my Dad's feral old Taylor that could do with a lot of TLC. He mustn't like how loud metal floats are.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  4. JovialCJ

JovialCJ New Member

Im glad your horse is recovering well :) After seeing a bad head injury too I feel skull caps and boots should be a safety requirement when floating in my opinion :)

5. Shandeh

Thanks :) Poll guards are an awesome idea, my filly will have one on if I can help it until I know she's not going to rear in the float again [she did when she was on the float on her way home... solid while float was moving but didn't take well to standing still]. Monty's only vice is his scrambling so I don't really worry about him banging his head but Magic I definitely do.

Photos from today, day 7 1/2 :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure I like the colour of the granulation tissue but it is actively healing and there is no sign of infection. I've texted these same photos to my vet and will be proceeding according to her thoughts.

6. NaeNae87

NaeNae87 Well-known Member

It looks fine to me :)

I would slap some Paw Paw ointment on it and cover it to keep out the dirt. Hope it heals quickly and easily.

7. Shandeh

I have a treatment plan as developed with my vet :) actually once that little hole in the middle has filled in I can leave it uncovered, just have to make sure I clean it daily, and apply proud-aid as required and medical honey otherwise. Same plan basically as the one I was given for a much larger, much deeper injury on my filly's back leg [fence injury], which I'm quite happy to follow as Magic's leg has healed with much less of a scar than I expected!

8. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Ahhh Deb :rolleyes: Yeah not a lot else to say on that.

Looking good kiddo. Keep up the good work. I'm not sure if boots would have helped or not as I have seen countless horses come off floats and trucks at comps with boots/travelling bandages falling down around the lower part of the leg and I always wonder if they actually do anything. Hard to say really but I guess you've got a better chance of the boots doing something if they're on in the first place. All good, you've learned, that's the main thing.

ETA: right now your second lot of photos have come through I can fully see where the injury is and yep, boots would have helped but hey live and learn.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  9. I am impressed with your maturity, Shandeh and the way you handled the situation with the injured horse and quite a low personal dig in one of the posts above. **) You are learning and it shows, good on you!:)
    By the way the injury is just a scratch?

10. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

Thanks for taking the time to post updated pics :) It's looking really good! Well done! **)

11. Shandeh

Thanks all :)

Coliban, I wouldn't have bothered to call the vet at all except for the location of the injury and how much it was bleeding. Injuries of this size and nature are fairly simple to treat, since there's not much that can be done in the way of stitching. I just wanted to be sure that he hadn't damaged the joint capsule. I've heard stories of injuries on joints that looked like superficial scratches but that ended up being deep punctures that compromised the joint capsule leading to nasty infections. So when it comes to injuries on joints I don't mess around!

12. MilkyBarKid

MilkyBarKid New Member

I didn't call the vet on an injury incredibly similar to this one (same place on fetlock), thinking it simple. Had it wrapped with poultice etc.

Horse got bad inflammation and needed a heavy course of antibiotics on and off for 6 months, plus there were concerns for infection in the joint.

I waited 3 days to get the vet, but I always think if I hadn't of waited maybe it wouldn't have been such a long drawn out process.

13. Shandeh

This is precisely why I did call the vet. I've heard a lot of stories along these lines and some of them didn't have a happy ending.

Now, most of what my vet did I could easily have done myself, but it's worth the after hours vet bill for the peace of mind. And the access to antibiotics.

14. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

The vet did tap the joint to check the fluid (Clear) did not want to do any further exploration in case of introing bacteria. She put him on gentamycin IV for three days as well as 5 days of penecillin to cover a wide range of bugs.(Finally after all these years I have given my first and second ever IV needle. Very pleased with myself lol)

I have a huge amount of respect for this vet and she said as she left after treating him that he would not be out of the woods until 24 hours had passed without any sign of infection. It was not wasted time or money.

15. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Hosing generally won't stop bleeding. Pressure stops bleeding :) Hosing actually encourages it to bleed in my experience which is good if you need to clean a wound out :) If you ever have a wound that is bleeding that you need to stop asap whack a pressure bandage on and don't fiddle until the vet gets there :)

Good to hear he is on the mend :) I rarely travel horses with boots on now as I find most fit poorly and cause more problems that they solve.

16. Shandeh

The boots I use fit beautifully :) I have no idea what brand they are as I was given them and there are no labels on them but the fit is perfect and they don't slip down at all.