Thick, cloudy pee.

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by ZaZa, Jan 2, 2010.

1. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

I noticed this morning that one of my horse's wee is thick and very cloudy.
    If fact it looks like milky chicken soup (my apologies to all the chicken soup lovers :p ) and it's that thick that when she pee'd in her sand yard, it took ages to drain away.
    Apart from a trip to the vet which won't happen till Monday now, has one had any success in aiding treatment of UTI's or bladder infections with products like Neutradex ?

2. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

Is she drinking enough water? How do you know she has a urinary tract/bladder infection? Is she on any electrolytes/mineral salts or rock salt?

May I suggest you disolve 1 teaspoon on bicarb into some water and syringe it down her throat 2x a day. This should clear the pee up rather quickly. Also KA mixture is really good fro clearing the cloudiness out of pee and detoxing the kidneys :)

Just a few thoughts:))

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  3. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

A mare can have thick cloudy urine when in season.:))

4. Prestige

Prestige Active Member

Is she on ACV with Garlic? Have noticed this can change their urine :eek:

5. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

She's definatley not in season Caroline :) She was last week but went out last weekend.

Nope, no ACV

I like thoughts....keep 'em coming :)

Merlin she's always been quite a good drinker.
    She's on eletrolytes because she tends to sweat quite a lot so I've had her on them since the hot weather started to put back what the sweat takes out.
    She also gets about a tablespoon of bicarb in her night feed.
    I don't know that she has UTI or bladder infection, I was just thinking out loud (so to speak). Will take her to the vet next week and get her a once over.
    In the meantime, seeing as I'm headed to the stockfeeders anyway, I'll pick up some KA. It can't hurt :))

6. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

I know the yucky dark cloudy "inseason" pee that gets squirted around aswell, have seen it lately as a new stallion has moved in up the road, and lil miss has come into season and is calling out to him and squirting everywhere, giving my gelding the right hump she is.

Well you seem to be doing all the right things ZaZa and the mare is drinking which is good. Try the KA mixture it should help if not get the vets to check her out, better to be safe than sorry :)

Oh one other thing is she sore at all over the kidneys?

7. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

sounds like a touch of dehydration ZaZa rather than anything else. Cystitis & other urinary tract infections not really very common - clinical signs usually frequent passage of urine,dribbling small amounts of urine, pain when passing.
    In this weather (snigger snigger,wether,whether) I would say she may not have taken a good drink for whatever reason - check her troughs first for water issues.
    But the diuretic flushes of Neutradex aren't a bad idea imo - gives them a good flush out.
    Mine are on stressalyte all summer long to encourage drinking.

8. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Merlin she doesn't seem to have any soreness over her kidneys.
    I've run my hand over the area and she seems fine.

Beagle the trough in her paddock is clean, checked every day and she's given fresh water in her yard everynight.
    Stressalyte is what I've had her on for a little while now**)
    I've got Neurtradex here but will trundle off and get some KA.

She doesn't seem to show any pain when passing urine but she does pee a lot. Smaller amounts but quite frequently and she does dribble.
    I've noticed a couple of times that she had a little bead of sandy gunk hanging from her girly bits, caused by the sand when she rolls sticking to the wet patch :p
    I had the hose under her tail washing some away earlier.

9. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

she may have a wee (pardon the pun) dose of cystitis....
    may need to get a urine sample to vet to be sure, as cystitis does need antibiotic treatment.Won't hurt to give her the diuretic over weekend but it might affect urinalysis results ie more dilute urine may be dismissed by vet as normal.So if cystitis is present then the admin of a diuretic will temporarily help but delay positive diagnosis so therein lies your choice....wait & take her to vet,or try diuretic flushout but be aware that problem may temporarily go.
    Me? I would get the urine sample done first (if she's otherwise ok,which it sounds like she is) after the weekend.:))

10. carla

carla Well-known Member

i sent you a pm

11. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

Definitely give the KA a go :) When Noddi arrived he was struggling a bit to urinate and it was quite thick. I put him on KA for a few days and now he has no problem at all!

12. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

I decided to go with the KA and started her on it last night.
    I'll give it to her for a few days and then take her off it and see how she goes.
    If the problems settles but re-occurs after she's taken off it, then I'll have to collect that sample (yuck) and cart her off to the vet.

13. KPF

KPF Well-known Member

Horses with excessive calcium in their body or overfed calcium diets will pee it out to expell it from their body and this also will turn the urine colour to cloudy....its actually quite interesting because you can see the calcium traces on the ultrasound when the palps are done if they've got too much.

14. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

That's really interesting KPF.
    For memory, according to the last Feedxl report her calcium wasn't too excessive but it can't hurt to have another look.