The Sunbird Hanover

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by myyky, May 21, 2011.

1. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

Hi guys!
    Just wondering if anyone knew 'The Sunbird Hanover' the STB stallion. Not sure if he's still alive or not, would be in his 30's now.

He is the sire of Pepper, and another of BTSR's horses, Easy. Just wondering if anyone has any pics, or info to share about him :) Mainly want pictures though!!

Cheers, :)*
    Myyky

2. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

I'm just going to poke this thread cos it looks a bit lonely :D

I do/did know Sunny....a beautiful, kind, gentlemanly stallion :D

3. kp

kp Well-known Member

I would hazard a guess at saying he is long gone. There was a photo of him in the harness racing magazine when he was at stud. I no longer have copy of it. But someone might.

4. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

Thanks KP.. Hopefully someone in here has that magazine :) I know some people collect all those.. Hopefully!

5. Cadabby

Cadabby Well-known Member

We used to have a STB gelding called 'Murdover' so perhaps he was by 'The Sunbird Hanover'? Hmmm absolutely no help, I know, but keeping the thread alive hoping someone more knowlegable comes along!

6. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

Haha possibly, Cadabby. I'll look him up on the racing studbook thing. Thanks for bumping the thread :D I'm sure someone has a picture of him, or knows more.. He stood at stud in Serpentine for a few years, and also in I *think* Kalgoorlie/surrounds.

7. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

Cadab, your boy had another Hanover as his sire, "Murdock Hanover". There seem to be quite a few Hanover stallions around haha :)

8. Con

Con Guest

Sunny wasa gorgeous boy.. such a sweety... I worked at the stud that had him when i was 17/18 we had him and another stallion who was a mean ol bugger... Sunny lived up to his name with his sunny disposition!

9. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

Wattle also said the other stallion was nasty haha :) He must have been pretty bad.

I think Sunny passed on his temperament to his foals :) Pepper is easy to do pretty much everything with.. A very sturdy, solid temperament. (most of the time)

Do you have any photos Con?

10. Con

Con Guest

He was!! I hated handling him, he had sharp teeth! LOL
    sorry myyky I dont think so.. I willl dig out the pics I have of the little filly I had (i thinkk she may have been Sam's not Sunny's bub I cant remember!), Sunny may be in the background of one of them.

11. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

Bad stallions should have to be handled by their owners I think, haha, make them put up with the foul tempered ones themselves :p

Thanks for looking, I hope you find one :D

12. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

I had a lovely boy by The Sunbird Hanover and a friend also leased 1 by him, Trepanic and Copper Canyon. Both lovely natured boys, both chestnut but both had big square heads :p

13. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

Yup Pepper has a big square head too!

14. sleeknstylish

sleeknstylish Well-known Member

Hans Schneider, in Waroona, was the last owner of The Sunbird Hanover.
    He still had him a few years ago, I'm sure. We had a horse in a stall next to him at the races, and I asked him about the stallion.

If you want to contact Hans, PM me, and I will give you his number.

15. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

In Waroona! So close!!
    I don't really wanna see him in person though.. I wonder if Hans has an email account or something that he could send me pictures through.

16. chestnutmair

chestnutmair New Member

Sunbird

I took care of Sunbird when he was a 3 and 4 year old. Mike Gagliardi was the trainer/driver and Jim Plate was one of his owners. He was such a wonderful horse! I still think of him often. I remember walking in the barn full of 40 horses or so and it would be dead quiet and Bird would get of sniff of me and start screaming for me at the end of the barn. I loved that horse! Glad he didn't end up in the slaughter pile that is for sure. He turned out to be a great sire.

17. SueC

SueC New Member

Late but accurate

Hi all, this is a somewhat delayed response.

Nevertheless: Sunbird unfortunately died of a twisted bowel aged 24 back in 2007. This was devastating because he was such a lovely horse and he was looking unbelievable; noone was expecting him to die anytime soon, and this, as some of you know, was a horse with a superb disposition, a wicked sense of humour, etc. But, he loved to roll all the way over and back again, and one such time a gut loop twisted - very bad luck.

My dad, who was the last to stand him at stud and then looked after him in retirement, still has two of his progeny, Classic Julian and Sunset Coast, both retired pacers. Classic Julian is currently still a stallion but hasn't been used for stud purposes (two wins, small horse, but very pretty and excellent pedigree, his dam was out of Honest Talk).

I have the other one my father bred, out of a trotter cross mare. Sunsmart has been my riding horse for five years now, and is a superb horse to ride long distances just for fun. Chest like a barrel, unbelievable endurance, sure-footed, comfortable to ride, a huge-striding floating trot and war-horse canter, loves to see the world. He has inherited a good deal of Sunbird's physical traits and personality - but is naughtier, so was gelded aged 12 in preparation for running with the two ancient horses we have down here and our three donkeys. See the menagerie on the video at redmoonsanctuary.com.au. Sunsmart is the dark horse running around with the grey Arabian mare.

Any other information about Sunbird's later life, I can probably help. One bit of trivia, for instance, is that he broke his jaw in a fight with a colt who got loose when he was around 20, and we loved the horse so much the jaw got pinned. It healed uneventfully but the pin kept coming out of the bone below his lower lip and had to be tapped back in, and gentleman that he was, you didn't even have to put a halter on him to do it. He was just great. I used to spend ages grooming him until he shone and he was one of my favourite horses ever.

:) Sue

Mary Long likes this.