The right way to hay?

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by ljp, Nov 6, 2007.

1. ljp

ljp Well-known Member

Hi stockies!

I've a question, my mare lives in a private paddock with no real coverage. I hay her daily however was wondering is it ok to just pop a bale of hay in her paddock? Will the rain and other conditions effect it? Could it make her sick?? Anything else??

2. horseygal44

horseygal44 Well-known Member

We used to put round bales in the paddock for the horses...but we had 3 at that stage, plus rams so it didn't last that long. It's better in summer cos it's not as likely to get mouldy but in winter it's hardly worth it because it gets mouldy & that's when the problems happen.

3. Remaani

Remaani Guest

I feed round rolls all year round, between either 1 horse, or a roll to up to 5 horses.

They do pig out first but i find feeding rolls the easiest way, plus i have 15 horses, lol.

4. ljp

ljp Well-known Member

by the way remanni that horse in your avatar is gorgeous! Yours??
    Thanks guys. I guess I'll try popping a whole bale in, what exactly makes it mouldy? Is it the rain?? What exactly does the mould look like so I can tell?? Sorry to pic your brains I just think it'd be easier then luging hay in my car n I cant even see out the rear view lol.!!

5. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Thanks ljp, its a pic of my Arab Pony/Pt welsh mare Katie.

It will go mouldy in continous rain (then warm days) if you have only 1 horse on it, but you can cover it up with a tarp, which i do if only 1 horse has a roll to themself.
    Look out for black "mould", sour smelling hay, white/grey "dust" (mould).
    But in this weather, it'll be fine.

6. ljp

ljp Well-known Member

That's brilliant, thanks heaps :)