'The Puffs'

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Pintaloosa, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Pintaloosa

Pintaloosa Well-known Member

I have a 14 year old ASH gelding here who isn't handling the heat we've had lately very well. About 5 days ago I noticed him standing under the back patio puffing. I went out straight away to check if he was sweating, and nope, not one drop on him. I believe he has what is commonly called 'The Puffs'.

I looked for posts on here about this subject but I didn't find a lot. I have been hosing him down regularly in the heat of the day and scraping the excess water off so it doesn't heat up with his body heat. I've stopped feeding him Copra (I have a feeling that is what has caused this). I don't ride in the heat of the day (I'd be mad to put both him and I through that!) I also have a bottle of a product called 'Recharge' here. Will that help him at all? And what is the best way to give it to him? Is there anything else I can do for him to get him sweating again?
    Thanks.

2. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Try searching for Anhydrosis.

Copra is a good feed for horses with this condition. Grain is bad.

There is heaps of research out there, the Konke site is a good start.

This is a serious condition that needs care.

3. Pintaloosa

Thank you Nannygoat! I'll google that now. I couldn't remember the proper name for it :3

4. Pintaloosa

Just a quick update.
    I went to the Konke website and found heaps of information there. I ordered a product of theirs called Troppo Salts and so far so good! He is drinking a lot more and I have noticed he is starting to get sweat along his neck. Small baby steps but there is improvement.
    So thank you Nannygoat for pointing me in the right direction. I really appreciate it :)

5. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

No probs Pintaloosa.

It took me a long time to get a strategy with my ol fella, keep him in competition and healthy. He was on Troppo Salts at more than twice the recommended dosage and his diet was always under constant revision.

People underestimate the seriousness of it. Glad you are onto it and so will your horse.

6. Possum

Possum New Member

Hi,
    My horse developed the Puffs (Anhydrosis) a few years back and I found a product called Swet from Horse Supplies Direct had him sweating within days and he has been on it ever since with no problems at all.
    Hope that helps and good luck :)