The problem with colour

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by sil, Apr 26, 2011.

1. sil

sil Gold Member

Well of course we have coloured horses at home between having a pinto stallion and a palomino stallion.

But we aren't colour breeders per se. We breed a particular breed of horses! I do like colour but that's personal thing not the breeding operation, if that makes sense?

So it bemuses me a bit when people contact me assuming we are only interested in coloured horses for sale (of ANY breed) or that we must be planning for the future only with coloured horses or homozygous ones. And even within the breed!

Is there some kind of reverse colourism going on where if you have horses of colour, it's assumed that is very important to you?

It's kind of cute, I am just wondering if it happens to others.

2. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

Is there reverse colourism lol ...... Yep

Many people love colour and many will buy for colour. Knowing people are like that people assume you are probably breeding for colour. Some people find it very difficult to understand that you breed for type and colour is a bonus.

However some people do just breed for colour and don't look too hard at the horse beyond colour and others buy for colour, regardless of what the horse is like.

I remember asking someone why they bred their mare to a specific stallion. Now he was a nice stallion but totally different breed and not a breed that this person would generally ride in what they do. The mare was a brumby and the answer was I had a black uterus. So while I was struggling with the cross of the 2 horses the sole reason was she likes black and had a higher chance of
    black with a black stallion. :)

People breed for different reasons and for some colour is the only consideration.

I was very lucky to get a paint bred mare for what I now consider to be very cheap. Why was she so cheap ...... She was solid. She probably would have been double the price if she had patches. Now I am very grateful I have her as I love her to bits and she is an awesome horse. I bred her to a stallion who s a paint but with minimal markings expecting a solid, but I was breeding for type. My bonus was a loudly colored foal who would be a super horse even without patches lol

3. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

Yep! I have a pally pinto stallion and people just assume I'm a colour person! Altho personally I much prefer a nice solid bay lol last year i bred 2 pintos and got a solid bucky foal, people expected me to be disappointed!! I couldn't have been happier :D

4. Kiwigirl

Kiwigirl Well-known Member

I like patchy foals, and want one of my own again, the stallion I have pick out to use is patchy and homozygous (bonus :)*) but before I set my heart on him I asked myself - would I breed a foal from that stallion if he was a solid colour? I answered yes, he ticks all my boxes, now I just have to find a mare to suit him (after buying property etc :p)

5. Diana

Diana Gold Member

I have a pally and a buckskin...I love goldies but if I bred I wouldn't breed just for that!! I looked through a QH stallion (American) magazine the other weekend and the ones I liked were bay, brown & black! And a grey...mmmm.... (but when I was looking at him all I was thinking was - hard to keep clean :p )

Kinda scary when people breed to a cremello or perlino stallion and the main part of the advert is "Will breed 100% colour!!" :confused: (don't get me wrong there are nice ones but I've seen some pretty average ones...) Good thing they have colour! ;)
    A friend of mine hates buckskins and now she has one *#) and she loves him to bits :D

6. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

Ditto to that !!

Cheers
    Lee

7. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

My last 5 ponies have been "coloured" when I bought Sheldon I had people saying "why didnt you get another pretty coloured one?" I didn't buy ANY of them for colour...just turned out that way because the "right" pony happened to be coloured :)

Think I may start a Bay Horse & Pony Society though..anyone want to join';'**)

PS: I happen to thing Sheldon is a "pretty" colour ;)

8. Roskyle Mr GingerbreadMan

Roskyle Mr GingerbreadMan Well-known Member

I am the oppisite, when breeding/buying I look for the breed of the horse, colour is not important, although I actually prefer solid colours such as bay, black and chesnut. I have only ever had chestnut/liver chestnut horses and I don't think I would buy a coloured horse unless it was a little pony (I have always wanted a coloured pony) so as much as I like the look of colours, It is not ideal for the type of showing I do :)

9. mineees

mineees Gold Member

we breed colour, but out stock is chosen for type and conformation first if they have that then they are bought. If they dont we say thank you but not what we are looking for. And also,we love our solid foals to bits too,but duns are what we are aiming for. Duns that have the goods to go with it,thats gonna kick butt out in the show world.This is our main aim...We love the duns,and to date have only sold one,all the others we have kept.So you can say that yes Toni and Darren breed colour,but good ones only.....:)

10. Sallie

Sallie Well-known Member

Well I go against the grain. I want colour the yellow ones or would not mind patchy or buckskin one either. Not interested in any other now.

Ideally I wanted a golden T/Bred and after a few years in looking I pretty much have what i wanted 17.1hands of Palomino which is very close all T/Bred. I also have a hard to fault stunning QH x T/Bred mare who is also a Pally

Over the pass 4 years if its not yellow I would not look at it to own.

In saying this of course it must have excellent conformation , movement etc but also must be yellow in colour. I guess its just like looking at a horse which would suit say showjumping. If it ticked all the boxes but could not jump of course you would not buy it.

There are a few quality studs currently in WA breeding for colour however they have chosen the correct breeding stock to do this so you end up with a coloured quality horse.