The OTT horse

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by EVP, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

"woot woot woot"*#)

2. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Your joking.......that many!!!!! I never even look at that.....had to remember where it was!

Well well well, seems lots of people are keen to read good threads.

And thats great for the forum!

*whoot whoot*

3. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

Yep it's the perfect Troll Thread. Well Done!

4. Braveheart

Braveheart New Member

If I had to place bets I'd say it was more a case of "daytime soapie syndrome"*#)
    There's been a few times Ive been just bored enough to watch an episode of days of our lives...:D

5. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

You just need to get too 14,588 views and you will hold the record for most views on a thread ;)

6. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Of course you would Brucey......and who would have expected anything less.
    That you just HAD to come in and make such a statement was an odds-on favourite.

7. Braveheart

Braveheart New Member

No need to resort to insults EVP! I thought you were above that sort of thing?:p

I think your far to quick to make assumptions on the 'interest' people show in such threads, I guarentee you alot of it is sheer morbid curiosity at what hogwash they'll read next*#)! And everyone is assured of one thing, you WILL have the last say!;)
    Your ability to google,cut and paste does not make you an expert on the subject, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who has given up trying to drag any facts out of you on this topic, so my comment was simply a lighthearted one that you chose to take offence to and retorted with an insult... how very suprising!:p

8. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Brucey of course I had to cut and post those research referrences...how else would they get to appear in a post?
    No one has to drag any facts out of me.......I didn't write the research material - I left that to the people who are experts on the subject. And my reply wasn't an insult - it came in clear reply to your referrence to "daytime soap drama"......seeing as I am a working person I don't often get to catch those types of dramas....lolol

I don't find horse discussion of such importance to be "soap like or dramatic".....I actually take the exchange of facts and information very seriously. This is why I choose to leave bias at the door.

If you'd like to contribute to the thread with some data to debunk anything posted please feel free, of course in the vein of the thread, scientific and expert referrences only please.
    I'm hoping that people who actually have something to do with horses on a daily basis might get something from such informative and constructive threads.

9. EVP

EVP Gold Member

https://rirdc.infoservices.com.au/downloads/08-061

This is a fantastic report. Very indepth and relevant to the thread.

Influence on sire & maternal family on gastric ulceration in the TB.....page 18, and the table charts on page 21 and on.......very interesting.

Make very good reading. Sorry I couldn't "cut & paste" the tables......the numbers and columns would not line up.

These stats collected on all manner of behavioural issues, feeding, training, ect are easy to understand.

AND THIS - posted this before but wasn't sure if it survived the "cut & paste".

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  10. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

And all non-african human beings are descended from one family that left africa 100000 years ago. Small population turns into a big one why is that startling? A little thing called the studbook goes back to the Darley Arabian it's not exactly digging through papyrus.
    there's so much research on here taken out of context but i've only read bits and pieces can't be arsed with more.

11. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Thats OK TBPA, I personally found that last bit interesting because of the thread on " sires who stamp their progeny".......maybe it should be "which sire are you talking about".....lololol I suppose the royal blood of the noble TB is so interesting BECAUSE it can be traced so far back!!

The other information is also just as good a read.......I don't know how one can take research out of context. By the very definition, "research" is a broard study, undertaken by individuals or institutes who have no bias towards a given outcome, and have no vested interest in the same. They just record as they see it, and report it. Some can be a bit mind-boggling, but the very fact so much data has been collected seems to indicate both industry AND scientific interest.

12. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

its out of context because it was most likely done not to prove TB's are unsound, (like it or not your implication) but to try and find ways to win races. A horse not being 100% is often why he won't win and 100% is hard to achieve in any sport.
    Joe Janiak paid $1250 for an unsound horse, he found the magic way to keep him sound and won $6million+ with him. He raced that unsound horse across the world till he was 9 years old.

13. horsescomefirst

horsescomefirst Well-known Member

im pretty sure he raced as a 10yr old too!!:) fantastic horse**)

14. EVP

EVP Gold Member

My uncle did the same thing.......but $1250 was double what he paid for his horse. Went on to win some amazing races, was the hero of the town when many farm property owners bet on him with combined wagers, and managed to pay the banks back. The horse was fixed with an old recipe and died on the family farm many years later. The town still remembers him fondly as their champion and even the ABC and others ran multiple stories on the rags to riches tale.

Those stories are inspirational..........they are also miniscule in number. Just like winning the lottery.

I agree that any studies done are in an effort to improve longevity in racing. Personally I think any efforts to improve soundness via genetics or through training are extremely important....both for the sport of racing and for the strength and dominance of the breed.
    Without such studies and research to keep race horses in the sport longer, stronger and sounder, how can the retired horse benefit?
    Their racing careers come first usually, so if they stay sound to race and ultimately retire sound - isn't that a good thing?

Those studies are a blessing for the TB breed and for the retired race horse.
    Without them trainers, owners & breeders would have nothing to strive for and no standard of excellence?

15. kp

kp Well-known Member

I you will find a number of stories about someone who paid a song for an unsound horse and ended up with a good one. Unfortunately most horses that are purchased unsound remain unsound and are certainly not bargains! Takeover Target is a good example however he has continued to have soundness issues.

16. EVP

EVP Gold Member

My uncles horse stayed on his "secret" too.......and would have raced longer if he could have. He was retired and I think I remember that he got dragged out to the odd parade or show day....he loved every minute of it!

17. kp

kp Well-known Member

The old buggers love it! We had a 12yo in work. He LOVED his work. Hated not being worked. Would run around his yard like a 2yo squealing until someone went and got him out. Old Village Kid still does parades. He knows he was good! He prances his way around the track. I think he would join in the race if he was allowed.

18. EVP

EVP Gold Member

When we were in Kentucky we went to the Horse Park where Cam Fella was. Every day they would bring him out for a parade around this beautiful quadrangle.....the horns would blow like on race day and out he would come while they played a huge screen of his career. At the end he would frame himself up like a real showoff and people would cheer and clap.

The look on his face was something I will never forget. Bloody old bastard knew everyone was there to see him and he lapped it up. They get treated like royality there......daily massages, the best of everything and their stalls and yard areas were better than some motels!! He had his own large grassy paddock with white timber rails and a shade tree......and this stall that was lined and padded!! All the horses there had their own equine diet manager too!

19. kp

kp Well-known Member

I think I want to be a horse there!

20. Horseagilitywa

Horseagilitywa Well-known Member

Seen this a couple of times, with average breeding too... Veandercross... my Uncles and cousins horse. Kiwi... another one of average breeding... sorry NZ horses LOL

Wasn't there a tb in NZ, a big grey who would bow to the crowd... Can't remember... just remember seeing him and old photos. He became a celebrity, for his love of the crowd and the fact the louder the crowd the harder he would run. Must ask Mum his name.