The 'new' PEARL gene?!

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by CDA, Dec 15, 2010.

1. CDA

CDA Well-known Member

I have recently found out that this is available in Iberian horses....

i have read some articles but still cant really wrap my little head around it!!!!

Colour experts... break it down for me!

2. CDA

CDA Well-known Member

no one knows anything about it?!

3. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Tintara would be your best bet, when she comes on line. It is a fairly recent discovery:)

Meanwhile...Quote from UC Davis who do the colour testing..

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  4. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

Also known as 'apricot' at one stage before DNA testing proved that they are all the same dilution.

The Lusitano stallion Majodero who was imported to Victoria a few years ago is probably the best known Pearl and was the first in Australia; he is a cream / pearl composite and mimics a dark smoky perlino in colour. Genetically he has tested as a black buckskin pearl. Haven't heard too much about any pearl progeny by him though. Majodero is actually registered as a Pearl with Dilutes Australia.

DMB stud have access to semen from a chestnut paint that carries pearl and he has produced a couple of paint & solid pearls here.

They have also found what they call 'mushroom' in some lines of Shetland ponies. This dilution primarily appears to mimic in chestnuts what silver does to black bases; some of the ponies look like silvers in appearance but have been dna'd as chestnuts and do not carry silver.

5. taeliesyn

taeliesyn Well-known Member

Garraka park has also imported a palomino pearl QH stallion stallion One Awesome Moment.

6. old_mate

old_mate Well-known Member

That horse is a nice colour but what is going on with it's back legs
    ? Also it looks like an out of control body builder on a super dose of steriods.

7. taeliesyn

taeliesyn Well-known Member

Not sure what you mean regarding the back legs, and yes he is a bit over muscled for my taste, assuming your talking about One Awesome Moment there old mate :)

8. old_mate

old_mate Well-known Member

Yes I was talking about One Awsome Moment. The horses back legs look very straight and post like, or is that just due to the massive upper body ?

9. Dollar

Dollar Well-known Member

Will have to do a search on that stallion. Funny you bought that up about his back legs and body, I find a lot of QH advertised looking like that but wasn't sure if the photos were enhanced. It looks horrid.

10. Kate O

Kate O New Member

Should also note that horses like 'One Awesome Moment' and 'Burkes Awesome Gold' (I think that's his name..?) that carry one pearl and one cream will always have a dilute foal (50% will be pearl, 50% will be cream). This is because the pearl mutation is part of the cream gene, technically making them homozygous cream. They always have to drop either pearl or cream - so if you had a chestnut, bay, brown, or black by them, you know straight away that it carries pearl, because if it didn't have pearl, it would look palomino, buckskin, or smoky black (might have to test for smoky black of course, to see if cream were there or not). This also means that a pearl cream composite can't drop both cream and pearl at the same time like a champagne cream can.

11. Nightsky

Nightsky Guest

Sometimes it can be the photography work too.

Has anyone managed to find a direct sideshot of this stallion ?? Theres just a front shot. It says he has green eyes ?

Foals

12. Tintara

It's the current western 'halter horse' look .............. and can be found in the paints & appys too.

13. Tintara

Would be caused by the two dilutions working together. Two copies of cream dilutes a brown eye to blue so pearl and cream would have a similar diluting effect on the eye.

It is easy to see why they were mistaken for champagnes for so long as the colouring is very similar.

Kate, when are you adding Pearl to your collection of dilutions???????? :p

14. mochaminx

mochaminx Well-known Member

Malakand Gypsy Cobs has a colt "Danelaugh" who has been DNA'd as having a pearl gene. The sire is a very unusual colour, like a light apricot colour. I have a picture floating around in my PC somewhere, Ill see if I can find it

15. Kate O

Kate O New Member

I believe his sire is the one that has pearl and cream (on a black base coat)...so like the other two pearl cream stallions mentioned, he will always sire a cream foal OR a pearl foal...very cool. >>> http://www.newdilutions.com/pearl/Gypsy/gypsy_images/Pearl Colt October.27.2008 291.jpg

Tintara - we don't have Dun yet! (not planing on it either LOL).

16. mochaminx

mochaminx Well-known Member

Yep, thats the picture I just found lol. Dane only carries one pearl gene though, so yeah, my understanding (which isnt much lol) is that it wont really come into play unless paired with a cream gene or another pearl gene. Still pretty cool tho :)*