The horse from the Man from Snowy River

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by kcr1971, Mar 17, 2010.

1. kcr1971

kcr1971 Active Member

Hi all,
    I've been pondering who the horse was in the original man from Snowy River movie? random question I know, but Sil's thread about horse programs made be ask??
    Does anyone know his breeding? etc..
    cheers Kylie:))
  2. cow_chasin_horses

cow_chasin_horses Well-known Member

apparently they used all different horses obvioulsy of similar colour and size to do all different parts of the man from snowy river ... but that is what i heard so not sure if its true :)
  3. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Their was a ASH at Warren Show on the weekend that could have been his twin**)
  4. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

Denny was owned by the Lovick family in Mansfield, Victoria, and he died aged 29 in 1999. You can find out more information on the Lovick's website. I'm sure if you email them they will let you know what breed he was.;)
  5. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

ooo ooo my mare was in the Arena show!

When I was told she was a flag horse for it I didn't think she would be in it much but I was around at my friends house the other day and she had the dvd from the show and she is in the whole thing!

She even has a little write-up in the show catalogue (although they say she is blue roan and she is most definately grey!)
  6. FDPH

FDPH Guest

An ASH or Snowy River Brumby, just can't remember but was obviously bred and raised in the terrain.
  7. kcr1971

kcr1971 Active Member

It thought he would be an ASH or some sort but wondered what the breeding was/is...
  8. supersezabell

supersezabell Well-known Member

I read a few yrs ago in one of those horsewyse magazines that a family acquired him during the major major drought few years back overeast. They had him until he had died but not 100% sure of anything else or what edition of that magazine it was sorry.
  9. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

There were actually 3 horses who played "Denny" but the main horse role is the horse owned by the Lovicks :) Trained stunt horses were used for fall scenes.