Tendon Injury

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by LauraandNero, Nov 15, 2007.

1. LauraandNero

LauraandNero New Member

Hi all,
    Just wanted some opinions for treatment of tendon injuries such as medications, ointments, feeding, boots etc.

My horse is a 17h ex-galloper who raced till he was 6. I got him five months off the track and he is now 8. I took him to darling downs and we went for a bit of a hoon but he got too excited (still thinks he is a race horse) and over stretched his superficial digital flexor at the very bottom on the inside of his pastern. He is currently in the middle of shock-wave therapy, he gets feramo-h, canola meal (for protein), a magnetic pastern wrap and Old Timers R-Iodine rubbed into his leg once a day for the circulation. He is out for 12 hour and in for 12.

One vet has said I can start riding him 10 minutes at a time at a walk and another vet said he will need 6 months off and other people have told me everything inbetween.
    I would really appreciate past experiences, different treatments or anyinformation at all.
    Cheers
    PS Was an eventer would like to event him again!

2. SMR

SMR Well-known Member

I once had it explained to me by a vet that for a tendon to repair itself so that it gains as much elasticity as possible, the fibres need to realign themselves. If a horse does not use its leg, the fibres will not allign in the correct orientation. Obviously, the degree to which the horse can use its leg depends on the severity of the injury.

Controlled exercise can minimise the amount a horse runs carelessly in the field and a bit of weight may encourage the horse to use its leg.

Find a vet that you trust and follow their plan. ;)

3. samm

samm Gold Member

Iodine also contracts the tendon.
    Beach is great as well.Just stand them in the water for ages.

4. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

I ditto that SMR. You best find a good horse vet, someone you can trust and go with that advice.

5. LauraandNero

LauraandNero New Member

Yeah it is a bit worrying sometimes because it seems to be for every product some people say there is a huge benifit and some people say you are an idiot for using it so at the moment I have stayed away from anything to radical! But one thing i have is time ... lots and lots of time..!
    Cheers everyone

6. LauraandNero

LauraandNero New Member

OO just I though samm is that is using the iodine bad then if it is contracting the tendon, I was told to use it for it's warming qualities to encourage circulation in the area for repair?

7. samm

samm Gold Member

Iodine is used for tendon injuries.Particularly horses with stifle lock etc so no it isnt bad.He's over -extended the tendon so you want it to go back to normal.

8. kp

kp Well-known Member

The best thing for you to do is to follow the instructions of the vet that is currently looking after the horse. Most of these vets will give you a contolled exercise program to follow, do this. If you wish to PM with further questions please to do so.

9. pyretii

pyretii New Member

Tendons

My horse did a suspensory ligament and my sports therapist said to put comfrey on it which I bought off her. When I told my Vet he agreed that that was good stuff and it helped strengthen the tendon a lot.

10. jumpsfences

jumpsfences New Member

My eventer bowed a tendon, I kept it wrapped until the swelling stayed the same when i took the wrap off, rested him for 3 months, walked for the next 3 months, trotted the next 3 months, he eventally did his first ODE (prelim)14 months after the initial injury, and was back at pre novice 18 months after injury. He has been fine ever since - so there is hope! I did use a TENs machine on it for the first few months, but I dont know whether it was beneficial or not. Funnily enough I did so much dressage in the time I wasnt eventing he has nearly turned into a dressage horse now!

I also had an unltrasond done on it every 3 months (3 times in total) to monitor how it was healing, and whether he was ready to move on to the next level of exercise.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  11. LauraandNero

LauraandNero New Member

Thanks for the info guys, I have had two vets tell me oposite info about what I should do next (2.5) months after injury. Some say he wont event again some say he will some say start riding some say don't. *sigh
    But I think I have decided to leave him at full paddock rest for another three months then take hime back for another scan to see how it is going. In the mean time he still goes and plays at the beach goes to competitions as a companion and is getting nice and fat well fat for a TB! I have decided to buy myself a brand new dressage saddle instead of the eventing one I was just about to buy to make myself feel better, Im sure that I will be spending a lot of time in it over the next year!! But at the end of the day there are lots worce things that could of happened and at least I still have my horse here which I am very thankful for as some riders are not so lucky!
    Cheers Laura & Nero