Team Penning Byford 16 Jan 5pm - Entries Open!

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by HorseSlave, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Nannoo

Nannoo Well-known Member

Do you have the entry sheet Horseslave?

Any idea who I've been teamed up with???

2. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Out of interest, what do they do if they are short of members for a team? Ie if 4 or 5 people have entered that don't have a team already?

3. Nannoo

Nannoo Well-known Member

They assign individuals to teams of 3... (i.e. you make new friends!)

4. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

I get that Nannoo :D But what happens if they don't have a multiple of three to make up the team? :D Ie 4 (or 5) individuals enter ;)

5. Nannoo

Nannoo Well-known Member

oh, they get someone to double up to create a 3... remember Karl did it at the first one down in Byford...

6. chocollo

chocollo Active Member

Thats good to know. :))**) I sent an email to the addy that is on the entry and membership forms to ask a few things but I haven't heard back yet. I will just email them in and hope for the best.

It's not far away now and I'm really looking forward to playing with some cows. :D

7. HorseSlave

HorseSlave Well-known Member

Hiya Nannoo - the draw won't be done until entries close on the 10th - you haven't been teamed up with anyone yet :)

Chocollo - PM me your questions if you like and I'll see if I can get some answers for you.

8. chocollo

chocollo Active Member

Thanks HorseSlave, I have PM'ed you

9. shadowkat

shadowkat Well-known Member

Just emailed my entry form off - hurrah!

10. chocollo

chocollo Active Member

Mine are in now too.

Who do we chat to in order to organise a practice day at byford sometime??

11. HorseSlave

Its in the works already. The next team penning school should be at Byford - we've yet to come up with a date. Think it will be discussed at the next committee meeting.

12. Nannoo

Nannoo Well-known Member

I was thinking about that, and what I wouldn't mind see happen is getting various top level instructors from say Cutting and Camp drafting, etc for once a month clinics (and yes pay a little more) but really get some tips from some of the best of other similar sports.

The Stewart's from the camp drafting side of things and maybe Keith Murray from cutting come to mind as suitable instructors.

Anyone think of others that would be suitable??? - This is an item on the agenda for the next committee meeting...

13. HorseSlave

Are you going to the Buck Brannaman Clinic in Feb Nannoo? I'm booked for the cow working side of things.

I know Heath Stewart does clinics at their place in Bakers Hill periodically - I've done one myself. I thought the penning school was more for just the basics, which I think Daz & Steve did pretty well at the bullsbrook one. I don't know if we have the numbers yet to pull in the pros for more dedicated clinics.

14. shadowkat

shadowkat Well-known Member

You guys seen the weather forecast for the weekend? 39 on Saturday - hope it's cooler in the evening! (42 on Sunday - blergh) :(

15. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

SK, I saw that too :( With the 42 forecast for Sunday I am guessing it won't cool down too much - min for Sunday is 21!

16. HorseSlave

They've revised the forecast down to 37 degree max for Byford now - fingers crossed it may even go down a bit more. I just hope the wind stays the same as it's almost still - was blowing a gale last time we were at Byford!

17. chocollo

chocollo Active Member

The basics of team penning is what I'm after for a training day. I think the tricky thing with training for cowhorse sports it that many of us don't have our own cattle to work our horses on. Just a bit of a run on some fresh cattle with some reasonably experienced guidance would be great. Byford is good for me.

A good breeze would be great for Sat evening but I'm not ordering the hurricane that came thru last team penning day @ Byford.

18. saltriver

saltriver Guest

Nannoo/chocollo/horseslave
    We have cattle here most of the time
    any time you want some tuition on working cattle for penning or drafting
    we are available.
    Just give us a call
    cheers
    Kellie

19. HorseSlave

Thanks for that Kellie - maybe we can organise a mini stockies cattle school for there sometime?

I see the weather forecast is getting better and better - now only forecast max 33 for Byford, though the wind is creeping up a bit.

The draws are now done! 12 teams at present (although this often changes at the last minute!)

20. casperjesse

casperjesse Well-known Member

I'll be in on a Mini Stockies training day for sure. Be good to get some practice in. I am sure it's going to be so much fun and I am going to want to do it again. LOL