Teaching a Horse to Lie down

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by Sweety, Apr 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

I was generalising, Sweety, but thanks for the clarification. Good luck with your horse, whatever your future plans are for him are. :))

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  2. Wrangler Miss

Wrangler Miss Well-known Member

I agree that when someone purchases a horse they have the right to do what they wish with it [within the law - no neglect or abuse, etc.].

I do also believe that when someone openly posts a topic on a discussion board that members reading these replies need to be open minded and accept members opinions.

This in no way means do not post .... I know from personal experience I have learnt a great deal from reading information and opinions and ideas off forums!

I read stuff all the time I disagree with. Or think god they could have worded that better! But I also realise that I AM reading and how I interprete the tone or the message in the post may well be very different from what I would interprete if I was talking face to face with that person.

I think everyone on here has good intentions and we each have our own individual personalities! I am only new [and from the East Coast at that *haha*] but what I love best about this W.A. forum is how friendly everyone is!

I am neither for nor against getting a horse to lie down, sit, bow, etc. I have done it in the past on several horses for several reason at all except one time I wanted to win a trick class, one time I wanted to increase the sale value of a horse, one time because my friends very sick child wanted his boy to bow for him ..... with this I take responsibility and attempt to train the horse so no 'cues' could be misinterpretted and I ensure I fully inform the new owners whether they are interested in them or not. What happens if they sell the horse on to a new owner is no longer within my control [although I do ask to get them to contact me so if they wish to talk about the horse].

I also know how dangerous teaching a horse to do tricks can be. No matter how much people say 'my horse trusts me' or 'his so quiet' we are asking the horse to perform something unnatural [in relation to human interaction]. There is and will always be a risk involved [to you or your beloved friend] when asking you horse to lie, bow, sit, etc.

I am open to discussion with what I have posted above. In hindsight would I have taught these horses to do what they have done .... I am not sure .... Will I teach horses in the future to do these trick .... I can not say!

3. Murray

Murray Well-known Member Staff Member

I have always enjoyed the cowboys doing their thing at rodeos to entertain the crowd which included making their horse lay down and then mounting as they stood up. Interesting too that the mounted soldiers who went into battle taught their horses to lay down.

"Sweety", you go for it.

cheers

4. GeeJay

GeeJay Guest

:) Ditto I used to love the old Westerns.

Graemes Great Grandfather used to train the army horses to lay down.

What I feel is if you wish to do it don't make a big deal about it, my daughter's X boyfriend taught his horses but used it to show off I did tell him he was pushing it BUT he wouldn't listen, the horse ended up telling him down the track that it had enough:eek:

Everything you do with your horse should be consistent and always re assuring and most of all FUN:)*

:)

5. Wrangler Miss

Wrangler Miss Well-known Member

Funny you should mention war Admin!

The capriole - horse jumps from a raised position straight up in to the air and kicks out with its hindlegs

Courbette - horse raises his forehand off the ground, tucks up his front legs then jumps forwards [not allowing the forlegs to touch down [like a hop]

Mezair - horse rears and strikes with its forelegs

I have paid to watch horse perform these 'tricks' but it always intrigues me that these movements were once used to save peoples lives and/or takle peoples lives at war!

The level of training is far beyond my comprehension but the time and dedication these trainers have put into these horses demands respect!

6. smash

smash Well-known Member

great post WM,
    the way i have interperated the OPs post, is she wanted to know how to do this (lie down on command). i THINK EVERYBODY has put forward their opinions as best they could.
    I think that ALL the posters should be commended on not answering HOW TO MAKE A HORSE LIE DOWN ON COMMAND, as this could cause damage to both horse and handler, as we all interperate things differently.
    now my own interpertation of this thread, is people were basically wanting to know why she wanted to learn this trick, and not that she should down right NEVER do. (could be wrong, often am) lol
    like you have pointed out in your post, you did teach this trick to CERTAIN horses for CERTAIN reasons, and good on you, but you would of either had the knowledge to do this, been SHOWN how to acheive this.
    threads like these have the potential to cause great damage to people who have misinterperated intructions or missed vital steps.
    thanks for putting this topic back on track WM
    cheers

7. tilda

tilda Well-known Member

i think its good that your teaching your horse to lie down, it gives them something to think about more than just all the basic everyday activities, been lead to the paddock, being ridden,rugged etc.
    i cant teach you how to do it but if you were looking for lessons i know geoff sandell does them :))
    my horse is really clever and always wants to play, he also was veryyy pushy atm im just working on leading and backing up and doing smaller activities with the rope :) ( had groundwork lessons with by geoff sandell)
    in the end id love to get my horse to count, bow, lie down because i can see how much HE enjoys doing groundwork...
    also might ad he is training elementry dressage and starting to event im just doing this so he doesnt get bored with his everyday routine :))

8. EVP

EVP Gold Member

The fact that I am a member of the forum means I wasn't banned?

Do you have ANY straws left to grasp?

BM, don't you know that sarcasm is the highest form of wit......ahahahahaha

Admin that is a great example!!

If a horse is required to lay down for its 'special purpose' (movie, disabled, war) then the horse SHOULD know it.

Incidently those war horses were not originally taught this as a form of mounting or dismounting, they were taught it so that a soldier could use its laying down position as cover under fire. Soldiers actually balanced their guns on their horses!! So I'd say this "trick" was vital knowledge.

But poor horses had to lay there and get shot at!! :(

And this..................

Couldn't agree more.....imagine the risks when teaching a 'out of the box' manoever like laying down? If people can "skrew up" lessons like tying up and floating, imagine the size of the "skrew up" when trying to get a horse to lay down?

[/QUOTE]

OOps look out BM is showing that she actually agrees and her only deliverace to the thread was for the expressed purpose of crossing swords when I made a reply.

Oh BM your fence jumping is so precious.....don't catch anything on the way over....

(sarcasm)

AHAHAHAHAHAH

9. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

hhhmmm....having gone away for a few days it's obvious there has been certain deletions that have occurred...
    all i can say is,as beagles get bitten,we do not bite back to lower ourselves to the biter's level.
    if opinions cannot be respected,then things can certainly get snaky.
    nice to find out people's little sneaky agendas.
    fact: glad i was away to not re-act to inflammatory comments.
    conclusion: do whatever OP blows your hair back.
    others,come forth with whatever hypocrisy you like.:mad:

10. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

Beagle, blow dryer is on full speed to blow your hair back lol :) @)

11. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

good one Horsetalk!!
    i could say something really obvious here but my mind is in the gutter so i shall refrain! dirty,dirty girl.:D:D:D

12. PPH

PPH Guest

So these names had nothing to do with you? Honest?
    My most sincere appoligies for tarring your name then.:eek::)
    But I do know they were banned, for a time anyway.

I thought sarcasm was the lowest form of wit??

It was a rhetorhical (sp) question in response to Horsetalks post on page 7, meaning how is it right to teach one a horse one thing but wrong to teach it another.

And unless you are my sister, my original post in this thread had nothing to do with anyone. It was simply an opinion and another perspective to the discussion. and to be honest teaching the horse to lie down, bow or sit, is something I would love to do in the future. If this makes me a bad person in some ppls eyes, so be it, I can live with that. :)

And i am curious, as you said I rattled your cage earlier, what are you in a cage for anyway hun :)????

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2009
  13. Give it a rest BM;)
    it is getting real boring. Why do you feel the need to pick up a fight with EVP? #(
    Why is there a need to bring past back in???
    Get over it and move on!;)

14. mod 6

mod 6 Moderator

Mods have had enough of this bickering:mad::mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.