TBs..shoes on or off??

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by teddy2shoes, Dec 18, 2009.

1. corporate pride

corporate pride Well-known Member

so u didn't recommend what i said to do then u recommended what i said to do and ur confused ?? :confused:

2. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

A good farrier can pare out the sole of the hoof without doing whatever the strange thing you had been recommended to do.

3. retroremedy

I am sorry you have completely lost me? You dont need to do anything fancy to pare out the sole of the hoof, you just pick the foot up and use an knife to pare out the sole? You dont need to prepare it in anyway! You just remove dead and flakey sole.

4. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

retro soaking the hoof just makes it easier to trim off the excess.
    Saves a heck of a lot of energy adn potential cuts to you hands if hte knife slips.

5. corporate pride

exactly, if the hoof is hard as a rock then good luck PARING it out

6. retroremedy

A good farrier, with sharp knives would have no trouble removing sole. Also this horse has apparently poor hoof quality and the worst thing you could do is macerate the hoof in a rubber boot filled with water.

7. retroremedy

Would you like to make a bet?? *#)

8. corporate pride

it was a SUGGESTION and it works....find a puddle for the horse to stand in the middle of summer.
    anyways, i had my opinion which obviously wrong coz u say so rr.:mad: i'm outta here now

9. retroremedy

hmmm yes but was it a suggestion from a farrier or a barefoot trimmer??

It is not necessary and for your horse not the best thing to do considering its problems.

10. corporate pride

yeah i'm back.
    which horse u talking about the one that can't hold shoes, that's not mine, the one with flat feet not mine, my horse in shoeless and is sound and great

11. Double Helix

Double Helix Well-known Member

~ negative 2 degrees. He was not initially sound in wedges but seemed to be sound in 3 degree wedge shoes after the second or so shoeing. Being aluminum they would wear down quite quickly on our ground so he would sometimes not be sound towards the end of a shoeing. He could never have them reset but always had to have new shoes (no problems with that though).

I am worried that wedges may affect other things like ligaments & tendons, the frog, the digital cushion ...

"The positive effects of the wedge can often be seen immediately. Unfortunately, the downside of raising the pastern angle with a wedge too gradually from toe to heel is that it invariably crushes the digital cushion. Use of wedge rim pads or wedge shoes allows the frog and cushion to fall through the shoe, further compromising the heel tubules." NANRIC - Your Source for Equine Podiatry Products & Knowledge for Veterinarians & Farriers

12. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

Since you quoted me, i understood that to mean you were addressing me directly. Or my reply. If your comments were to the whole forum, then you should have said that.

But those points you mentioned about all the 'typical barefoot arguements' were never even raised by any of us who replied supporting barefoot, as these weren't even asked by the original poster. Or at least, none that i can remember. But then again, it's been a long topic, 18 or 19 pages, so forgive me if my memory is not spot on *#)

And this really wasn't a 'debate and discuss' question. The original poster simply asked about having a TB barefoot who competes. And all it ever was, was people posting their good experiences about going barefoot.
    It never turned into a debate until some people decided to make it into one by accusing barefoot supporters of spreading propaganda and lableing us all as religious zealots.
    If supporters get this lable, then i don't see why non-supporters aren't labeled as anti-barefoot or shoeing zealots, spreading propagandy as to why shoes are so brilliant :p ;)

I agree with Anna, that it seems maybe these types of topics are replied to by non-supporters for the hell of it, and force supporters to endlessly explain themselves and become heated debate for all the wrong reasons.

The original poster hasn't replied for a while. I'm not surprised. I wouldn't want to post again if my topic had turned into a 'debate' it was never meant to be. Personally, i'm sorry it's turned out like this.

Teddy2Shoes, if you are still reading this, if you choose to go barefoot with your horse, great. Just find a good trimmer, because there are dodgy ones, which won't do any good for your horse. If you would like to go barefoot, i can give you the number of an excellent lady who i use.
    If you choose it's not for your horse, then that's fine too.

I'm out of this discussion also.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  13. retroremedy

Then if they hadnt been mentioned why did you then go and take them personally :confused: I just defined a barefoot zealot for you ;)

I guess that is what happens when you post on a discussion forum....things get discussed, people agree and disagree and pose different arguments ;)

There is a lot of propaganda around the barefoot brigade, a lot of untruths (especially about supposed detrimental effects of horse shoes) and hence why barefoot vs shoeing debates bring a lot of attention on any type of horse forum all around the world *#)

14. retroremedy

Yes but what happens when you are a supporter of "barefoot" and shoeing??? *#) That kind of makes you an all rounder!! ;)

hmmm nope, I am replying because I care about people being given a fair look at the topic from all sides :)))

Completely agree on choice, but choice should be well informed and neither "barefoot" or shoeing should be disregarded if it benefits the horse. :))

15. retroremedy

Double Helix, did your farrier try re-building the heels with Vettech SuperFast and then applying a normal shoe?

If wedge shoes are fitted properly they do not cause those problems you have linked. They actually re-align everything!

Also how old is your horse?

16. teddy2shoes

teddy2shoes Well-known Member

Actually cornflower....I have been following the "debate" very avidly.....didn't realize when I asked my question that it was such a controversial topic but thank you to all who have given your opinions/ideas!!!!!!!! I will take on board all the info and see how it goes............

Incidently...Bailey had said shoes off last thurs and has been ridden again today low level trail riding on gravel/sand/grass. So far he seems quite sound though is careful on the gravel so all is going great atm.

Hope it didn't cause too much animosity ( totally wasn't meant to)!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  17. retroremedy

Good on you Teddy2shoes, good luck with your horse and let us know how he goes! :)

No animosity, it is just a debate and debates are healthy! *#) (and they entertain Smashie ;) )

18. Double Helix

Double Helix Well-known Member

No, I doubt the farrier would even know what this was. I have trouble finding a good corrective farrier that is easily accessible (without having to travel miles). After seeing the vet I had to "convince" my farrier to use the wedge shoes, he didn't think this would help my horse's problem... thought I was telling him how to do his job. He even tried to talk me out of it by saying it would make the shoeing more expensive.

How does re-building the heel help it to grow back to where it should, or is the problem irreversible? It just seems that many farriers trim long toe & no heels.

I understand how wedge shoes realign the angles but wouldn't raising the frog off the ground cause problems?

The horse started having intermittent lameness problems mid 2007 (he was 13) and was finally diagnosed (second vet) early 2008. He is 15 now.

19. retroremedy

Truly Double Helix you need a good farrier, this is your problem...what location are you in?

Yes re-building helps and your horse would be maintained sound and no correctly fitted wedges wont affect the frog.

Good farriers don't trim long toe and low heals, they spend there time fixing them up :)

20. smash

smash Well-known Member

yeah, i love reading debates, someone ALWAYS backs their bags and leaves *#)*#)*#)
    thanks retro, some really good info in this thread
    **)**)